DO NOT CALL

Posted by: Dotsie

DO NOT CALL - 05/19/05 01:06 AM

I received this from Ellie. She said it's legit. Thought I should share.

JUST A QUICK IMPORTANT REMINDER......
In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls. You will be charged for these calls.

Call this number from your cell phone 888-382-1222.
It is the national DO NOT CALL list. It only takes a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years. Please pass this on to everyone you know who doesn't want to be hassled.

Or you can go to www.donotcall.gov and do it on-line, but I recommend making the call directly.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: DO NOT CALL - 05/19/05 11:57 PM

Thanks Dotsie and Ellie.
Speaking of cell phones, users can now sign up for free text messages with Amber Alert information. www.missingkids.com has info on it

chick
Posted by: Debi

Re: DO NOT CALL - 05/20/05 04:41 PM

I used to remember when we could go out and buy what ever we wanted now the salers are coming to us. And at the most inapproprite times , any one want a cruise to the bahamas at 10 pm???
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: DO NOT CALL - 05/21/05 12:08 PM

I love the ones "Our records show that you qualify to have your mortgage payments reduced blahblahblah...."

We paid off our freepin' mortgage 15 years ago. Ya think they'll pay us??? [Razz] [Razz]

Of course, we never ever ever pick up the phone when it rings, so this garbage all comes through the message machine which cuts people off at 45 seconds. I'm sooooo heartbroken when I miss the phone #s of the telemarketers.

If I'm near a phone when I hear hear a sales pitch over the message machine speaker, I pick up the receiver and put it down immediately. Gee, am I being rude?
Posted by: Katrinka

Re: DO NOT CALL - 05/24/05 10:15 PM

Dotsie,
Thanks for the information. I registered immediately. I didn't even think to add my cell phone to the Do Not Call list until you mentioned it.Many thanks! Now if I could just get my cell phone provider to stop text messaging me with promotions. Argh! While I'm ranting, (I have too much free time [Wink] ) there ought to be a law against websites installing spyware without your permission. I know there's supposed to legislation against it--or at least plans for it--but it also seems like such an impossible task. We run three different spyware and virus scanners on our computers (as well as pop-up blockers and firewalls, etc) but we always find spyware with one of the programs.
Okay, I'll shut up now. [Mad]
Marie

Re: DO NOT CALL - 05/28/05 04:57 PM

Katrinka, happy to help. We don't get those text messages. We use Verizon. Do you have to pay for them?
Posted by: Wisdom&Life

Re: DO NOT CALL - 06/26/05 11:24 PM

I have notice a significant climb of door to door sales people.

I have a door with windows on both sides, so whoever is at the door could see inside the house. I came to the conclusion that I don't care if they see me or not, I am not answering.

Has anyone here put a No Soliciting sign on their door? I heard that it doesn't really work, but if any of you have put up a sign, let me know if it does work?

As for the telemarketers, I just do not answer my phone anymore. My family has learned not to answer and if they do, they know to say, in regards to me, "she is not here".

I heard of another way to fend off telemarketers. Pick up the phone and say "hold on a minute" and leave the phone down. Eventually you will hear a busy signal. Have any of you tried this?

I agree, our privacy is being invaded more and more. As a private person myself, I don't like it one bit!

Cheers,
Cathi
Posted by: smilinize

Re: DO NOT CALL - 06/27/05 12:14 AM

I feel sorry for telemarketers. I'm sure they must be saddened by all the hangups and irritation they encounter and I figure they might be pretty desperate for money.
I have developed a polite, but firm answer that I give the moment I reaize I have answered a telemarketing call.
I say, "I do not purchase anything offered in unsolicited telephone calls. And I do not participate in surveys or contribute to charities over the phone. Thank you for calling."

Then without allowing them a word, I hang up. Almost always as I'm hanging up, they are thanking me. ??
smile
Posted by: unique

Re: DO NOT CALL - 06/27/05 12:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Optimumsteps:
I heard of another way to fend off telemarketers. Pick up the phone and say "hold on a minute" and leave the phone down. Eventually you will hear a busy signal. Have any of you tried this?

Cheers,
Cathi

I do it all the time!

I, too, am a private person. Invade my privacy at your peril! I might be nice, and then again...

Re: DO NOT CALL - 06/27/05 12:35 AM

The other side of the coin, and no offence to anyone:

telemarketers...human beings who are kicked when they're down, yelled and screamed at, cursed and sworn on, the slam of the reciever hurts their ears, the brunt of callous jokes. Dare not tell your job for fear of humiliation.

This young, single mom/dad then goes home to his/her babies and tries to release the stress of working all night, in the best way she knows how. She tries hard, why are people so cruel. God Bless her and her children.

Am I a telemarketer? No, never have been.

Do I know any personally? Nope, but I bet they are kind hearted, loving, stressed, funny, hopeful people just like us.

I AM guilty of having them blocked on my phone.

I appreciate and feel for them, but my other half, like countless others, well let's just say...he doesn't have patience when it comes to tellemarketers. The golden rule flies out the window,he flies off the handle,(with them only) and I fly out the door. I refuse to listen!

I am woman, here me purr? [Roll Eyes]

chick
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: DO NOT CALL - 06/27/05 01:11 AM

I have a no soliciting sign on my door and it seems to work but they will then slip things intro the door jam, a card or flyer but thats all. The fewthat knock anyway, wen I open the door and they begin the pitch I just point to the sign and shut the door. I say the minute I kinow theres a telemarketer on the phone, "I am not interested." If they continue to speak I say, "hold on" lay the phone down and eventually they hang up. I guess they are just trying to make a living but they also try my patience... [Mad]

Re: DO NOT CALL - 06/27/05 01:24 AM

Opps, I forgot(not hard these peri days)

Call your operator and get the attorney general's phone number for your state and ask to be taken off the list... no more calls.

Simple as that.

chick
Posted by: Wisdom&Life

Re: DO NOT CALL - 06/27/05 04:07 AM

quote:
I feel sorry for telemarketers. I'm sure they must be saddened by all the hangups and irritation they encounter and I figure they might be pretty desperate for money.

Okay, here is my sympathetic side to telemarketers. I worked one season for Lillian Vernon, and the calls for me were incoming. However, we were suppose to push this other package to our callers. I hated it!

Besides the fact that I felt the package was nothing but fraudulent. We couldn't let a caller go until we received, two confirmed no's. "I am not interested" is not considered a no. And our calls were actually recorded and then we were lectured on when our calls were not exactly to their satisfaction.

Everytime, I kept hearing a "I am not interested", deep down I was thinking. Come on, just say NO! NO! and then I can let you go so I will not get in trouble.

However, I just do not answer the phone. I figure I am making it easier for the both of us.

Bottom line, I have enough going on all the time, and I just get tired of my privacy being invaded. Not only that, the comeback questions when you are trying to be polite in saying no, is overstepping some bounds IMO.

Cheers,
Cathi
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: DO NOT CALL - 06/28/05 01:26 PM

Back in the good old days before answering machines, if I picked up the phone and the other party said "Mrs ..." that was the dead giveaway that it wasn't anyone who knew me.

I then proceded to start the Feminism 101 lecture, and the phone manners lecture (you DO NOT assume the identity of the person who picks up the phone) which could go on for hours. Usually they hung up on me. HA!

Somedays when I wasn't in Didactic Mode, when the telemarketer said "Mrs. His-Last-Name?" I simply said No and hung up the phone.
Posted by: smilinize

Re: DO NOT CALL - 06/28/05 08:06 PM

I have a friend who when he gets a call like that starts selling them something, whatever he can think of at the time. It's hilarious to hear and they usually hang up on Him.
smile
Posted by: Dianne

Re: DO NOT CALL - 06/29/05 01:58 AM

Preaching religion to them works too. However, I'm on the do not call registry and will still get calls from time to time. I always ask what the company is so I can report them. Quick hang up then.

Re: DO NOT CALL - 06/30/05 10:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dotsie:
Katrinka, happy to help. We don't get those text messages. We use Verizon. Do you have to pay for them?

When it was AT & T wireless, I had to. I haven't received any text messages since it became Cingular. My kids like to IM and text message their friends and vice versa, so I wanted to block that feature. I found out I have to pay a monthly fee to have that blocked. Outrageous!
Marie

Re: DO NOT CALL - 06/30/05 10:21 PM

You girls crack me up. I don't think I could be a quick enough thinker to try and sell something back to a telemarketer. Hmm. Maybe I should try it with my book. I've done the "hold on" thing and put the phone down until they eventually hang up. I agree that everyone has to make a living somehow. But I'm not sympathetic to these people because they chose to take the job. It wasn't my choice. I'm feeling cranky. Can't you tell?
Marie

Re: DO NOT CALL - 07/05/05 08:47 PM

Marie, how old are your kids? My daughter had an outrageous text messaging bill one month. She forked over the money too. Haven't had another one like it since.

I know a teenager who had over a $700.00 bill one month from phoning his girlfirend who lived less than a half hour away. All he had to was pick up his home phone and it would have been free. He had to pay the bill, but then didn't have the money for college books. His parents lost out because they had to pay his book fee.

Ahh...teens!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: DO NOT CALL - 07/06/05 03:18 AM

The parents lost out because they handled it wrong....No kid of mine would have ever gotten away with doing something like that and they both knew it. That is just ridiculous!! [Eek!]

Re: DO NOT CALL - 07/07/05 01:12 AM

Dotsie,
My kids are 14,13 and 11. My current bill is sitting next to the phone unopened. I'm almost afraid to see it. I really don't think that I will have charges in addition to the monthly fees. Keeping my fingers crossed, anyway. My oldest spent a week in Pittsburgh last week, and he took one of the cell phones. It should still be within our local calling area.

Now why would a kid use a cell phone (was it his?) to make a local call if the call from the land line would have been free? I don't understand that. I agree with Chatty. Had I been the parent, I wouldn't have bailed him out.

What is outrageous are the taxes on cell phones. We're paying double taxes here in PA.
Marie
Posted by: DallasGal

Re: DO NOT CALL - 07/07/05 08:55 AM

You all are a treasure trove of info on how to deal with telemarketers. I'll admit - until Spam telemarkers were my number one pet peeve - then spam became number one - b/c of the WASTE of time. I turned spam into writing inspiration so made "peace" with this thorn in my flesh - so back to telemarketers as being my number one irritant.

Anyone else on do not call lists and they STILL call your number? I eventually got tired and created a spreadsheet that I click on immediately when the company identifies themselves I scan through the sheet, tell them that they called on such a such a day at such and such a time and I told them then that I had no interested in being bothered and please do not call back. I ask them if they enjoy lawsuits, and let them know I sure could put the extra money to use from the judgment awarded for their harassment. There IS that green ski-do, the honda goldwing I want, and let's not forget the 67 mustang convertible - plus I still haven't finished my reading room, oh, and yeah, a whirlpool outside would be awesome.

Usually after I become that much of a uhm...booger, they don't call again.

I hate getting that ugly with people though.

Re: DO NOT CALL - 07/07/05 08:21 PM

This past week I've been getting weird phone calls from various work at home outfits. It was quite irritating. After the third call, I asked the nice Southern woman where she got my name and number, because I am on the Do Not Call list. She said that someone had entered my name, address, phone number and email on their business website. I assured her it wasn't me. She thanked me for being polite about the whole thing, most people use profanities, etc., and she said she would remove my information from their company website. But I would have to tell other companies that call to do the same thing.
Earlier this week I received a phone call from someone at the Mike Ferry organization. Someone entered my information on their website. I haven't been in real estate for months.
I don't know who is doing it, but I have a feeling it's the same person who has been sending me baby formula samples and diaper coupons.
I'm not ambitious enough to create a spreadsheet, but I think it's a great idea. I think you handled that well. :-)
Marie