Eggs....I never knew.

Posted by: Di

Eggs....I never knew. - 04/04/11 08:55 PM

Since we are getting about 2 dozen eggs a day now (my darling hens are good girls!!) I'm boiling some now. I just learned that, if you crack the eggs immediately after they are finished hard boiling, and stick them back in cool water, the shells will removed easier. Apparently the water "seeps" in behind the shells to loosen them. I did not know this!

Next time I'll try that and let ya'll know!
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Eggs....I never knew. - 04/04/11 11:51 PM

I didn't know that either, Di. Sounds like a great tip. I usually cool the eggs with cold water before peeling, but that is still a pain sometimes!

Re: Eggs....I never knew. - 04/06/11 01:21 AM

WEll, forget that idea. I'm wondering that, since these eggs are fresh out of the hen, it does not work.

Back to the chicken coop!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Eggs....I never knew. - 04/06/11 01:40 AM

Yes Di, and sometime ago way back when I posted some tips about eggs and this was one of them
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Eggs....I never knew. - 04/06/11 04:08 AM

Sorry the tip didn't work for you, Di. It sounded plausible. I've always done what Yonuh mentioned, immediately plunge the eggs into ice water after cooking them, to stop the cooking process and - supposedly -- make the eggs easier to remove.

I have a good friend who raises chickens - Ronda Del Boccio -- the blind woman who is NABBW's Entrepreneurial Authoring Expert. (I know, I know, I have no idea how she finds the eggs as she is blind, but then I've never asked her that...)

I'll ask her if se has any good tricks for removing the shells. Actually she is a member of the forum - maybe she'll see the post and answer before I even ask her...

Glad your hens are producing so well -- and I envy you the fresh eggs. smile
Posted by: jabber

Re: Eggs....I never knew. - 04/06/11 02:20 PM

Di,
I didn't know that either; I'll have to try it.

Re: Eggs....I never knew. - 04/07/11 12:01 AM

I just learned from my "egg/chicken forum" that older eggs do better. And to try salting the water.

Also, to immerse them immediately in ice water.....which is what I did.

Again, back to the chicken coop!!

Re: Eggs....I never knew. - 04/07/11 01:48 PM

I remember gathering eggs from the chicken coop! My grandmother sold eggs and kept the money she made from her business in one of
those Quaker Oats Oatmeal boxes. Chicken coops have a very distinctive odor and you almost need earplugs with all that clucking.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Eggs....I never knew. - 05/01/11 03:01 PM

Remove the eggs from the hot water and quickly run them under cold tap water. Immediately lightly crack eggs around the middle (against the inside of your sink)and remove shell. It works for me every time.

Re: Eggs....I never knew. - 05/10/11 01:16 PM

Queen of Shoes,
I did as you said, and it worked just fine!
Posted by: Dee

Re: Eggs....I never knew. - 05/13/11 11:37 PM

Sometimes no matter what I do the shells stick...fortunately, the last two times I've boiled eggs and put them immediately in cold water and peeled them the shells have come right off.

Re: Eggs....I never knew. - 07/28/11 12:10 AM

Thats the best way to leave the peels behind, right from boiling water to ice water and poof no shells!!!

Hard Boiled EGGS ... - 08/20/11 09:10 PM

If you want PERFECT hard boiled eggs everytime go to this website and see how, it's NEW, CHEAP so easy!!!

www.GetEggiesTV.com
Posted by: lindasusan

Re: Eggs...NEW INFO.... - 08/21/11 03:52 PM

Looks like a great new product Chatty Lady. Also, eating hard boiled eggs also helps me lose weight, as the protein keeps the hunger away.

Hard Boiled: Eggs..... - 09/05/11 10:47 PM

Bought this egg cooker and it is amazing!!!
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Hard Boiled: Eggs..... - 09/06/11 01:12 PM

We've seen these advertised on TV...do they really work, Chatty?

Re: Hard Boiled: Eggs..... - 09/07/11 09:53 PM

It really works, I ordered and just got mine and tried it out immediately. IT WORKS!! And I love it...

Re: Hard Boiled: Eggs..... - 09/08/11 02:23 PM

Gotta give these a try! It looks real easy and I love hard boiled eggs!

Re: Hard Boiled: Eggs..... - 11/08/11 10:50 PM

Looking forward to having deviled/hard boiled eggs for Thanksgiving. There are never any leftover.