Mealing planning, a never-ending battle

Posted by: Di

Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/02/10 03:07 PM

Every day we wonder "what do we eat tonight?" I get so tired of thinking about what to make/eat.

Anyone else feel this way? It gets so old. Sometimes we just eat Ramen Noodles or cereal. After working all day on our business, food is the last thing in my mind. And to "plan" is not a luxury anymore.

We also make beans, refry them, spaghetti, sandwiches. My George Forman grill sure is a blessing!

Looking for quick ideas from ya'll!
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/02/10 04:43 PM

Wish I could help, but we run out of ideas, too. Sometimes we have breakfast for dinner; sometimes something simple like beans and franks; depends on what my partner feels like cooking.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/02/10 05:18 PM

Meal planning is real bummer, and more difficult if your hubby is a finicky eater. He like few veggies. I like things he won't eat. So it gets boring, trying to come up with new ideas. I eat out more than he does, generally lunch. That's when I order what I don't fix at home. I like beef liver, lobster, sauerkraut, green beans, and beets, he doesn't.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/02/10 06:09 PM

All in the same meal??
Posted by: orchid

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/02/10 11:56 PM

My suggestions may seem radical, but not really.

For supper:

1. Scrambled eggs /egg substitute or egg whites. Throw in some chopped onion, garlic, diced veggies...voila an omelet for supper. Just why does North America think it needs to be for breakfast or brunch? The rest of the world doesn't think so. Healthy protein for supper also.

2. Do you have an electric rice cooker? A small one is not expensive. Wash rice and put in some water with rice. Plug in and let it cook. Shuts off by itself when done.

When rice is half way done, throw in a scrambled egg. Well, yes the rice gets all messed in there. So what? Have FUN, this is Asian style.

Or marinate some fine small slices of beef or chicken ( 1 inch pieces ) in tablespoon or less of soy sauce, jot of oil and dusting of flour. Stir. marinate for 15 min. When rice starts to boil, throw in meat. cooking rice and steam cooks meat.

3. For any veggie or meat consomme soup that you reheat, stir in a whipped up egg. It will cook up instantly with hot soup. Just cook for 2-3 min. on hot stove. Put in spinach leaves. Veggie soup. Done. Spinach does not take long to cook (5 min.) if you don't eat it raw.

4. use pita bread instead of regular bread for sandwiches. I'm sure you do wraps also.

5. I also suggest dry light Asian or Italian thin linguine to boil. They don't take as long to cook.

Yes we do sandwiches, salads. Which he tends to make them, since he creates some great tasting stuff. Our type of sandwich would be on a sliced baguette with sliced tomatoes, fresh brie or mozarella bococinni cheese with fresh basil. Drizzled with touch of oil and balsamic vinegar. It's delicious.
Posted by: Anno

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/03/10 12:48 PM

A George Foreman makes great Paninis. I had a cheese and tomato yesterday grilled. Try mixing up the cheese - Gouda melts beautifully and tastes great with pesto, too. Avocado is also a great addition to a cheese panini.

I buy a roasted (or broasted) chicken once in a while and use the meat for salads. Any lettuce you enjoy, plus chicken, berries if you have them around and a light dressing is tasty. I used to think the roasted chickens were bad for you, but I have recently heard as long as you remove the skin, they are fine.

I also love lentils - Amy makes great lentil soups. I love the Dal in the freezer section, but I have found packaged lentils that are terrific. (I'd make them in the winter)

Lastly, I am also a fan of orchid's tomato sandwich, with brie or another very soft cheese and lots of basil. It's very refreshing and easy.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/03/10 05:50 PM

This is fun. I love hearing what others are eating. Again, the topic of food always gets my attention.

We eat mostly salads and fresh fruit this time of year. We mix up the types of lettuce, and use all kinds of veggies with occasional chicken too. Also switch up the lite salad dressings. In addition to typical salads, I'll make Caesar salad, spinach salad with bacon and hard boiled eggs, feta cheese, etc. Yum. I'll also add mandarin oranges, apples, grapes. I use all kinds of cheeses too. Crunched up pita chips instead of croutons is tasty too.

I'll also make steamed shrimp with a salad, or BLTs during the summer. I rarely use the oven because it heats up the house too much during the summer.

I don't make pasta often because hubby and duaghter are diabetics, but cold pasta salads are yummy too.

And then there's grilling!

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/04/10 12:31 PM

yonah,
No. Not in the same meal. I was talking about things I eat but
WB will not eat. So when I go to a restaurant, I like to order
what I don't fix at home.

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/04/10 12:32 PM

I like this time of year, because of the grilling option.
Many dinners are prepared on the grill this time of year.
Posted by: Anno

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/04/10 01:06 PM

We bought the smallest Weber gas grill last year, perfect for our deck. We used it 5 or 6 times until the fire marshal said take it off the deck. A few of our neighbors still are grilling on the decks, but I am too chicken to break the law, and too cheap for the $500 fine!
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/05/10 01:44 PM

I make "freezer food" on the days I feel like cooking allot. Then when it gets really hot, like it is now, or when I don't feel like cooking anything, I have a quick homemade meal that only takes minutes to make. Some of the things I make to put in the freezer are: grilled burgers, BBQ chicken, Italian beef, small pizzas, quesadillas, soups, and meatballs. I also roast a chicken or two, then dice it up to put in small containers so I can make quick meals with that also. Chicken and garlic rice topped with steamed veggies is one of our favorites for a quick meal. Sometimes it is a hassle to make all the freezer food, but I am sure glad I did when the weather gets to hot, or if I don't know what to fix for dinner.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/05/10 11:00 PM

I do the same or eat many things that don't require the stove or the oven to be used in this ungodly hot weather...
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/06/10 10:30 AM

We'll also cook a few meats on the grill in one night, then nuke them when we eat later in the week. Easy!

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/06/10 03:35 PM

I've placed leftovers from our pot of (pinto) beans (with chipotle peppers...yummers) in the blender and refry. Then I'll make us some nice enchiladas with fresh corn tortillas (made locally every day), scrambled eggs, cheese, beans and my homemade (from our garden) salsa. We can eat this every day...LOVE IT!

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/06/10 03:36 PM

Or I've done an oven full of backed potatoes...and we'll eat on them for a few days. Add some steamed broccoli, butter, chives..whatever's in the fridge!

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/06/10 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Di
I've placed leftovers from our pot of (pinto) beans (with chipotle peppers...yummers) in the blender and refry. Then I'll make us some nice enchiladas with fresh corn tortillas (made locally every day), scrambled eggs, cheese, beans and my homemade (from our garden) salsa. We can eat this every day...LOVE IT!

Sounds great Di.

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/06/10 11:28 PM

We don't eat that much meat. Maybe 3-4 times per month. That really simplifies the cooking time, if there is cooking involved.

With the exception of homemade focaccia or roasted veggies (latter, we do in colder weather, but also another fast option), we don't use our oven.

Nor do we grill. BBQ are forbidden in our condo building. But then, I never grilled my food before.
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/07/10 04:45 AM

Orchid, with your diet and exercising plan ( 6:00 am) you will outlive us all. So when you swing on your saddle at the age of 99, while munching on your carrot, we'll be watching you from the heavens above, and will all sing, “ Hallelujah that girl was right”! grin
Posted by: CrosstitchQueen

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/07/10 11:52 AM

I use my crockpot at least once a week and whatever I create in that lasts us a few days for dinner, reheated in the microwave. I'm planning lighter meals too, because it's so darned hot, and trying to avoid using the oven. We grill stuff too. And when I do cook, I almost always make plenty so we can eat it for a few days and only have to cook every few days.

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/09/10 12:22 AM

Another thing I do is refrigerate several unpeeled and quartered potatoes after I've steamed them. After they are cooled, I place them in a Tupperware bowl.

This way, I can have potatoes "in a pinch", not having to wait for them to cook. I'll peel a few, dice them and brown in some oil/butter mixture. Add some chopped onions, salt, pepper, paprika etc. They're a great "quick" meal added with some scrambled eggs, hamburger or just as they are!

You can also mix them with some steamed broccoli, cheese, or lots of ketchup!
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/09/10 08:12 AM

Lots of smart cooks here. We got a sicomatic pressure cooker, and love it. The potatoes are done within five minutes.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/09/10 07:54 PM

My problem was I am such a good cook almost to a chef level, it's hard for me to keep it simple. I keep wanting to add more things to fancy it up a bit. I said, WAS a problem. I have become a simple cook now; the less work the better, and you know it is good for the waistline too.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/10/10 12:40 PM

My cooking concentrates on no sugar or salt added and as much local produce as possible.

Balanced meals with as much fruits and vegetables as possible.
Fish is many forms..salmon haddock mackeral. nothing fried.Baked or grilled.

slow cooked chicken in a crock pot..

olive oil and herbs..I am growing as many as possible..apart from being usful many herbs are beautiful.

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/10/10 01:38 PM

MA,
Do you like to cook? IMO a person has to enjoy cooking, to be
good at it.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/10/10 05:22 PM

Yes Jabber..my kitchen is my domain. cooking is relaxing and a way of showing love and regard to others..

Re: Mealing planning, a never-ending battle - 08/12/10 12:30 PM

MA,
I agree it's a way of showing love and regard to others; that's the only reason I cook, at all. I love WB and want to feed him
good.