Back slide here

Posted by: Emyjay

Back slide here - 10/30/07 02:38 PM

My therapist says my back slide to anxiety has to do with all of the problems I've had at work, plus I've been very sick and could only get yesterday off. I've been doing
either the morning of afternoon shift, trying to get well. I'm on some kind of super-power antibiotic that gives me a stomach ache.

I've been doing soooo good. Now, I'm scared.

One thing bothering me is that 60 is approaching. Has anyone else here on the boards had a sixty is coming anxiety or depression? I hope not - wouldn't wish either of these two on anyone. But if you have, could you share what you did to lessen "the blow." Thank you in advance.

Emily
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Back slide here - 10/30/07 10:16 PM

I had one at 55, then 60 and then 65...Didn't do me any good so I decided to think differently about it. Instead of dreading each new year, I welcomed them, being happy to still be among the living. IT works!!!
Posted by: Casey

Re: Back slide here - 10/30/07 11:41 PM

I'm with Chatty...each year is a blessing. My mom passed at 50 and I've made it to 56!
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Back slide here - 11/01/07 04:57 PM

Emily, little bumps in the path of life are okay. You're not going to be perfect every day. Don't put that much pressure on yourself. Give yourself permission to have off days.

I'm so sorry you're sick. I hope the antibiotics work to make you better.

Just remember, take life as it comes. Don't worry so much about the future to the point of a panic attack. Enjoy each day as it comes. Living fully in the moment. Let tomorrow take care of itself. It will get here soon enough.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Back slide here - 11/01/07 07:38 PM

I tried to work myself into a panic at turning 60 but it didn't work...darn it. I love those pity parties so much!

It's a number and nothing more. I still feel like I'm thirty but with brains this time.

Re: Back slide here - 11/02/07 06:04 AM

Ladies we are all FABULOUS!!! Getting better with each passing year.
Posted by: jabber

Love it... - 11/02/07 06:02 PM

Chatty,
I like the way you think! We're not getting older; we're getting better!!! Sounds good.
Posted by: dancer9

Re: Love it... - 11/03/07 01:24 AM

I don't know about turning 60 but if I am like any of you here, well I'd be just fine and happy about that.
dancer
Posted by: jabber

Grandmother was cool...Re: Love it... - 11/16/07 06:38 PM

Boomers,
My grandma aged gracefully! At age 84, she walked around New York City like a youngster. The lady loved men and flirted shamelessly. And they loved her. She laughed. She made the best pies in the world. What an example she was of how to age and maintain a sense of humor about it.
Mom, Daddy & Gramps were cool, too. All of them lived to be over age 90! Now, what do you think about that?
Posted by: gims

Grandmother was cool...Re: Love it... - 11/16/07 07:13 PM

Emyjay, I want to say so much, but am a bit reluctant, so I'll leave it at "the outcome is up to you."
Might I suggest a couple of books, "Healing From the Inside Out" and "Hormones, Health, and Happiness." I have many more to recommend, but those two are a good start.

Weirdest thing just happened. The system logged me off and I couldn't get back in. I was fearful of offending Emyjay, but I think I should have been fearful of offending the board too... anyway... to finish my thoughts:

I researched vitamins and minerals for my mom (sorry about referring to her again, but I think there's valuable info involved). I wanted something that covered everything, especially her dramatic mood swings. The owner of my herb/health store recommended a pre-natal duo - a multinutrient (vitamins and minerals) combo pack with DHA. Our mom has been on it for going on 2 weeks, and believe it or not she has not only quit her continuous crying, she is MAKING JOKES about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. She's laughing and smiling so much it's almost as hard as her crying... I definitely can't keep up with her (but I certainly prefer this than the morbid thinking she had before). How long will this last? Who knows. But, at least we know she was vitamin/mineral deficient in some ways.

Grandmother was cool...Re: Love it... - 11/17/07 11:25 PM

That sounds like a definite positive to me Gimster...May as well enjoy it!
Posted by: Dianne

Grandmother was cool...Re: Love it... - 11/19/07 09:37 PM

What product did she take, Gimster?
Posted by: gims

Grandmother was cool...Re: Love it... - 11/19/07 10:54 PM

Early Promise Prenatal by Bluebonnet:
a multi vitamin with DHA
and a mutli mineral
and separate is a powdered macronutrient

this is what I wanted her to have, but it would have to be refrigerated after opening and they don't have one in the unit she's in...
Greens 4 Health

Grandmother was cool...Re: Love it... - 12/11/07 12:21 AM

Yep, I'm trying vitamins and all.

My job requires physical movement - lots of it.

I'm sorry I'm so very down. I have a lump in my throat that won't go away. I do tend to get more down around the holidays. This is common to people who have to manage depression - or so I'm told.

Personaly, I just plain don't want to feel this way. It wastes my time and everbody elses.

It just plain stinks to feel this way. I wish I could snap my fingers and away it would go. Wondering if it's time for a medicine change - maybe some of this stuff wears off over time. Anyone know?

Blessings,
Emily

Re: Grandmother was cool...Re: Love it... - 12/11/07 12:44 AM

Emily,
You may indeed, need a change in your medication! I am medicated for chronic depression. I have been medicated for years and years. I take an antidepressent and have had to switch or raise my dose (or lower it,) depending on what is happening in my life.
You need to do the same thing. My closest friend is a Psychiatrist and he would tell you to come in for an adjustment.
Don't suffer through it, hon, just make that appointment and get some help to cheer up for the holidays! Let the medication help you! We have a simple disease that is controled by medication, just like diabetes! We need to take care of ourselves with great care if our mood drops..
Don't be shy about it or ashamed or anything, just go and help yourself to what you deserve, a very merry Christmas!

Please tell me how you are, ok? I'm right there with you and I understand, You must NOT bear this, you know that!

friends,
dancer9

Re: Grandmother was cool...Re: Love it... - 12/11/07 07:58 PM

Dear Dancer,

I took your advice and called the DR. He has changed my Lexapro to Cymbalta (sp).

I hope this starts working very soon, as I am very, depressed.

Am making it to work - I have a split shift - but I don't want to go this afternoon. Will see my therapist emergency tonight.

Do you happen to know how long it takes for a new med to kick in?

My husband says my depressions are "my hobby." Who in the world would want to be depressed for a hobby.

thank you, so much, for writing to me. I need a friend now. - One who knows that this isn't a "hobby."

Blessings, Emily

Re: Grandmother was cool...Re: Love it... - 12/12/07 05:44 PM

I was shocked, Emily, to hear that your husband calls your depression a "hobby!" That is deplorable and I can't stand the thought of someone taking it so lightly that you face this disease! I'm sorry, but he is insensitive and ignorant of any facts to do with this disease and that can cause you further depression! To hear him make light of what you are fighting can only do you harm! I'm sorry you have to listen to such ignorance!

Most of the time, a new med takes about a week to work for me but can take 2 weeks to work fully. You must give it time and hang in as well as possible. Did he give you any ideas as to how to wait as welll as you can until this works? If you get down, write on the forum, try to engage a member in a PM if you have to and I'm sure the women here will come through and be there for you! Just look forward, the medication will "dig you out," and you will look back on this as a hard time, yes, but as the past. You WILL get this sadness under control, and that is why we take medication. We deserve all the respect ANYONE gets and we are in good company. Some of the greatest writers, politions, performers and others have shared out illness! We are, it has been proved, more likely to be C.E.O.'s than criminals or commit suicide! We are gifted and just as good as anyone else!

Remember that you can raise your med's as often as you need to and only need to call your doctor to do so! I have had to take a higher dose when faced with trying times! If your husband is giving you a hard time, it might take a bit more medication to overcome the depression because of his influence, but YOU CAN DO IT.

Please don't let his negativity affect you inside! As I said, I'm here for you as are others who fight depression as you do. If you need more support, please PM me and I'll give you a couple places on line to go for support for this. There are good people out there that understand and you deserve understanding, not anyone making light, or worse, making worse, your feelings!

You are loved. You know that. People need you, you know that too. YOu are worth a happy and depression free life and you will get it, won't you? You bet you will. Sometimes those who are around us have an investment in us staying "down." If that is the case, then they must go, we WILL NOT stay "down," for anyone or anything and make our life miserable, right?

I'm so glad you have gone to the doctor. Stay in close touch by phone to your doctor and let him know your progress. Make him give you good treatment or find a better one, right?

I can't wait until you are not so sad and remember how to smile and even laugh! You WILL, ok?

Please keep writing and tell me how you are doing, ok?
Again, if you need more support, PM me and I'll let you know where there is more support. Try these ladies though, I think they can understand!

Thanks for getting back,
dancer9
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: Grandmother was cool...Re: Love it... - 12/12/07 06:40 PM

Emy, dancer brought up a very good point about adjusting your meds. I've had to take medication for years and I do the same thing.....live on the lowest useful dose but I raise it when things are rough or I know they will be. Just talk with your doc. And hang in there....let us hear from you whenever you can.

Re: Grandmother was cool...Re: Love it... - 12/12/07 06:59 PM

Emily,
There you have it! You've me and the lovely Lady Jane so far who understand your need to get your med's right.
I know Lady Jane, like myself, is here for you!
dancer9