An Unquiet Mind

Posted by: Dotsie

An Unquiet Mind - 09/24/06 05:22 PM

An Unquiet Mind: Memoir of Moods and Madness, by Kay Redfienld Jamison

This book ahs been referred to in this forum in the past. I kept wanting to get a copy because I have several friends who are bipolar and I thought it would be a great way for me to better understand what they are living/have lived through.

Well, yesterday my husband came home with a copy of the book. A patient of his is bipolar and a huge advocate of educating the public about the disorder so she gave him a copy. I immedaitely picked it up and began reading. I'm about half-way through. It's awesome. I even found myself reading in the car a little yesterday while my husband was driving.

Kay is bipolar AND a Professor of Psychiatry at Hopkins. She understand the disorder from all perspectives and is a phenominal writer.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who is bipolar, lives with one who has the disorder, has a friend with it, or simply wants to be more knowledgable about mental illness.

Anyone else read it?
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: An Unquiet Mind - 09/26/06 02:44 AM

Hi Dotsie, yes, I have read this book as well as others by Kay Redfield Jamison. Night Falls Fast is about suicidal thinking. She is an amazing writer, and it's amazing to know all that she has accomplished.