James Brady's Death Ruled a Homicide

Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

James Brady's Death Ruled a Homicide - 08/09/14 04:42 AM

I just read the beginning of an article, which caused me to stop everything and post it here.

James Brady, former President Reagan's former press secretary died the other day. And now I read that his death has been ruled a homicide, resulting from the gunshot wound he received back in 1981.

Yes, you read that right: Essentially they are saying Brady died the other day as a result of being shot in 1981 by John W. Hinckley Jr.

but so far there is no word on whether Hinckley, who has been treated at St. Elizabeths psychiatric hospital since his trial, could face new criminal charges.

As you may recall, Hinckley, was found not guilty by reason of insanity after he shot Reagan and three others back on March 30, 1981.

I'm not sure how they are going to make this stick: after all, they'd have to circumvent the concept of double jeopardy.

So I just wanted to post this here ASAP, because there's a lot to ponder here. This looks precedent setting to me...
Posted by: yonuh

Re: James Brady's Death Ruled a Homicide - 08/09/14 10:38 PM

I responded on FB, Anne, but it looks like they won't be charging him with murder. There are several reasons why, one of which is the death has to occur within a year and a day of the incident. The article in the Washington Post went into great detail on the legalities of this case. I don't believe double jeopardy applies here because he wasn't originally charged with murder.

Here's the WaPo article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volok...-bradys-murder/