alzheimers disease

Posted by: lyssbe

alzheimers disease - 10/31/11 05:50 PM

Hi Everyone -
I currently have someone close to me that is suffering with Alzheimer's disease. It is so hard to deal with. Over time, I have watched her mind slowly diminish while everyone around her has to watch it happen. What is so hard to deal with is how her body is completely healthy while her mind has gone off into another place. I believe her soul is in a better place, but it is hard for me to cope with. Please offer any advice.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: alzheimers disease - 10/31/11 09:13 PM

Hi lyssbe,

I recommend you get into a caregiver group locally, if you are not already. There is a lot of stress for Alzheimer's family members and caregivers and you need to have access to support.

Here is a page of information I found on the alz.org site which may be of help: Living With Alzheimer's - caregiver stress

Hope this helps a bit!

Anne
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: alzheimers disease - 02/14/12 01:52 AM

Has anyone read the new data on stopping Alzeheimers disease before it starts? I csan't find it anymore.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: alzheimers disease - 02/14/12 07:41 PM

Not sure what data you're speaking of, Chatty. I DID recently post an interesting article about using a cancer drug to cure Alzheimer's. But that's probably different data...

Here's my link again: Cancer Drug Reverses ALZ in Mice: Hope For Humans?
Posted by: jabber

Re: alzheimers disease - 02/16/12 03:22 PM

I did see a news report that said a lack of sleep might contribute to a person getting Alzeheimers. Some of these reports end up being untrue a few years in the future.
Sometimes doctors use bogus data and their findings have given folks false hope. Don't know. Just sayin'.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: alzheimers disease - 03/28/12 12:55 AM

It's sad how long some cures take. These researchers know no more than we do it seems...