Menopause Symptoms

Posted by: hotflashgal

Menopause Symptoms - 04/06/07 04:14 AM

Hi Ladies,
Just wondering....is anyone bothered by itchy skin? Is this part of perimenopause/menopause? Thanks
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 04/06/07 04:40 AM

Welcome Eileen! Eileen and I are friendly online competitors, right?

I'm not sure about the answer to your question, though. I haven't heard of it as a symptom specific to menopause. I know I have to constantly put on lotion or my legs would itch like crazy.

Anyone else have an answer for Eileen?

Kathy
Posted by: Lola

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 04/06/07 05:33 AM

Hi, Eileen: Dry skin, as a result of losing its elasticity as we grow "older", causes the itchiness. Part and parcel of our adventure. But, nothing that a good moisturising bath gel along with lotions and creams would not resolve. A good diet and vitamin supplements would also help.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 04/06/07 12:57 PM

Eileen,

WELCOME! We're so glad you've joined us. And what a great question. Now don't tell anybody, but da Queen here has "some" of that itchiness. Particularly on my back and why is it that this "spot" is always where I can't reach it?

Ms Lola, any particular bath gell you would recommend? And vits?
Posted by: Anno

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 04/06/07 01:22 PM

Hello Eileen and welcome to BSW.

Yes, I have itchy skin for the first time in my life. I use Eucerin in the winter and any old body moiturizer in the summer. I also use coconut oil on my scalp and the itches spots once in a while. It feels sooooo good.
Posted by: Lola

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 04/06/07 06:37 PM

Hi, JJ: For the initial episode, I used E45 and Aveeno bath and cream products, which I was told would be most helpful as it provides itch relief for those who suffer from eczema. It helped a great deal. I just use Johnsons & Johnsons moisturising bath foam/gel now and good old Vaseline and Nivea cream. Omega supplements help as well.
Posted by: hotflashgal

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 04/08/07 01:08 AM

Thanks Ladies....nice to know I am not alone! I am looking into the supplement/vitamin idea, and bought some Aveeno shower gel today...soothing lavender. I hope everyone has a Happy Easter.
Posted by: medtype1

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 04/08/07 02:17 AM

I have been using baby oil on my body since the age of 12! Douse my arms, legs, tummy, butt after each shower. It has kept my skin soft and moisterized all these years, until I hit 45.... then suddenly the skin on my legs have become horribly 'creppy'. I think that is the word. I hate it, seems no amount of creams or lotions help. But, I have no itching.
Posted by: orchid

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 04/09/07 02:44 AM

I haven't noticed any changes in skin condition. Am in perimenopause...just fading away now.

I have had very dry skin on my legs since my late teens. Diagnosed by a dermatologist as icthomyosis..scaly dry skin. It is worst in colder winders. I have noticed my skin isn't so flaky here on balmier northwest coast.

I must use a super strong, hypoallergic moisturizing lotion on my legs...immediately after I shower. Every doctor will recommend that. (I asked my sis-doc also.) I use KeriLotion. There is a very expensive doctor's oriented brand, Uremol. I do use alot of sunblock when wearing shorts since I cycle loads.

My skin elsewhere is fine in terms of softness and suppleness.
Posted by: dancer9

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 04/23/07 01:45 AM

I noticed a drying of my skin so I use shea butter. I find this works well for all over. I try to get it pure and although that is expensive, it pays off by making my skin soft! I use lubriderm like religion and always have, but I added shea to my regimen awhile back when dryness started to be a problem!
dancer9
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 04/23/07 04:42 AM

I use all kinds of lotions and potions, but when my skin is particularly dry, I use baby oil in baths for a few nights and it makes all the difference in the world. You just have to be careful when you step in the tub for the next shower. It's so slippery, you could go sailing. Be careful.

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 05/31/07 10:48 PM

I noticed this awhile ago myself, (the dry skin.) I use a moisterizer in the bath in the form of an oil, I use lotion all over my body, and I use a heavy moisterizer over my usual Lubriderm which I use because my skin is sensitive. Any derm's suggestion on lotion works the best for me and seems to stay on longer, my skin absorbs it, and I can tell the difference in those lotions and others. I've used expensive lotions but it made no difference! Eucern(sp,) Lubridem, and others are all doctor recommended and make heavier creams as well as lotion.
As a dancer I need to take care of my body so I found the recipe to just layer the the stuff on! On my feet I use shea butter that is pure from L'Occtaine which is fairly common for dancers, (we go through jars of shea,) and on my lips I use shea as well.
Just layer is it on! (And make sure your skin is damp when you do it so you have some water to trap on your skin. Putting moister on dry skin that is not damp is pretty much 50% less helpful.

That's all I know that works!
dancer

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 06/01/07 01:41 AM

dancer, I'd love you to go in another forum and tell us about your dancing.

Where do you get that shea butter? What brand is it?

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 06/01/07 01:54 AM

Hi, yes, I should check out other forums and thanks for the welcome. I just started using this forum so I'm new to all of it. What forums do you like?
I buy my shea from L'Occtaine, but there are other companies that sell pure shea butter I am sure. A quick google may tell you other places you can buy it!
Dancer
Posted by: jennyherbs

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 06/06/07 08:03 PM

Try vitamin E also. Great natural anti-oxidant and moisturizer. I have also recommended it (not needed it personally ... so far!) 'internally' for dryness if you know what I mean! It can be used externally direct on skin, 'inserted' vaginally as a capsule and taken by mouth of course too. It can REALLY help with hot flashes too - at the right dosage. SO lots of pluses for vit E!

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 06/07/07 01:17 PM

Jenny, I use Vitamin E for my fibrous cystic breasts. It definitely helps keep the cysts smaller and less painful.
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 06/15/07 12:21 AM

I can't wait to read it, speakermom. I certainly need something about menopause to laugh at!
Posted by: SharonE

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 06/15/07 12:27 PM

I use good ol fashioned Sorbolene with Vitamin E as an all over moisturizer, and as an alternative to soap in the shower.

Ladies, I am in the process of adding a Menopause 'department' to my website. There are some interesting articles there about perimenopause, menopause etc and I will be adding more in the coming week or two.

If you are looking for the cream that dancer9 recommends, L'Occitane Shea Butter, you can find it here: http://www.babyboomerexpress.com/rts/index.asp?action=page&name=16680&siteid=1255

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 06/15/07 03:18 PM

There are also many helpful articles at www.nabbw.com about menopause.
Posted by: DJ

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 06/16/07 11:26 AM

Dotsie,
You might want to rethink the baby oil. Isn't it mineral oil? and mineral oil is petroleum based. It might make your skin feel smooth, but it also suffocates it by not letting it breathe. Mineral oil products contribute to hormonal imbalance which might even be linked to your cysts.

Have you ever witnessed the example of putting a saltine cracker in a bowl of baby oil and another in a bowl of water? Wait a half hour or so -- that'll open your eyes. Try it out.

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 06/21/07 03:20 PM

DJ, thanks for this eye opening post. I'll give the cracker in oil a try.

What would you recommend?
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 06/21/07 03:31 PM

Anybody read any of Kevin Troudeau's books? It says that certain kinds of lotion or oils you put on your skin is bad for you. Like DJ says, they contain certain chemicals that harm, rather than help, the skin/pores breathe. Just a thought. I'll try to find some more concrete info.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 06/21/07 10:33 PM

Kevin Troudeau has been investigated several times for scamming people and is currently banned by the FTC. If you do a Google search on him you'll find all kinds of interesting info.
Posted by: DJ

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 06/22/07 02:38 AM

I Googled and found that Kevin Trudeau uses questionable advertising practices.

However, what matters is the message -- your skin more quickly absorbs chemicals than if you swallow the chemical. Try the saltine experiment. When you pull the cracker out of the mineral oil, it's a crispy as it was when you put it in. It's a clear illustration of what mineral oil can do to your skin because the mineral oil (i.e., petroleum) creates a sort of hermetic sheild over your skin. Remember when the Goldfinger movie came out and learning that if anyone ever actually painted themselves with gold, they'd suffocate to death because their skin couldn't breathe.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 06/22/07 05:36 AM

I remember that DJ. Didn't someone almost die?
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 06/23/07 02:07 PM

Holy Moly, it's 9:00 AM and I am still up. I can't sleep at night and I stayed awake ALL day yesterday but I still couldn't get to sleep last night. I don't feel tired but I sure look it. This menopause crap is getting old, pardon the pun.
Posted by: Laurel

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 07/02/07 03:27 PM

Speakerwoman, can't wait for the new Chicken Soup book. I love them.

Dotsie, I use Burt's Bees lotions and potions. They seem to work wonders on my skin and many of them contain shea butter.

I am perimenopausal and it hasn't been a picnic.

Chick, what keeps you awake? Nightsweats or something else? I have early morning sweats, between 3 a.m. and 9 a.m. It can last an hour or longer. Not fun.

I'm having trouble with vaginal drying and yeast infections. I started eating more yogurt and taking Azo tablets.

Why don't men have any of these problems? It's just not fair.

Laurel

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 07/05/07 02:54 PM

Speaker, if any of the women are members of the NABBW, I'll be happy to.

Laurel, I'm in a hormonal funk today too. This is my week of blank pills and by the end of the week, I need estrogen. Plus, my uncle died so I am squeezing in the funeral home visits and funeral. He is the eighth of Mom's nine siblings to die. I feel sorry for my one aunt who is the only one remaining. I couldn't imagine losing my three sisters and brother. Life can be tough.
Posted by: gerrbeck

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 07/05/07 10:23 PM

Okay, yesterday my friend and I were walking and towards the end of our walk we were both complaining about how badly we sweat now. I have noticed over the past year I just sweat so much more than I ever have. It's making me crazy! I'm not too thrilled with the weight gain this year either, but I'm working on that. Has anyone found a deoderant or any other remedy for this problem?
gerrbeck
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 07/05/07 10:58 PM

I understand completely! I limit the lotion on my arms and legs, because that tends to make me sweat more for some reason - maybe because it's blocking my pores?

There is moisture wicking clothing now; you can find it in sporting goods stores. However, when I play racquetball I sweat like crazy. When I wore a wicking shirt I stayed dry, but I felt a little hotter. Sweat is meant to help you cool off. The clothing doesn't keep you from sweating, it just keeps you dry.

Good luck!
Kathy
Posted by: gerrbeck

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 07/22/07 05:55 PM

I came across the new Chicken Soup for the Soul in Menopause book. I of course bought it! I have read several of the stories and they are really funny. The cartoons are hilarious! I am going to pick up a copy for one of my sisters this week. Just this week, her doctor confirmed she's not crazy, she's in menopause. I too have been dealing with some of these issues this week. I have been very moody lately, I feel like I have PMS more often than not and have those days when I want to run away from it all.
I had lunch with my friend Maggie. What would I do without her? She's 7 years ahead of me and it on the back side of menopause. I was having a particularly bad day, really down on myself so we arranged to have lunch. I was telling her I kept having those thoughts....I don't want to be anyone's wife, mother, employee, etc. I just wanted to check out for a while, run away somewhere. She knew exactly how I felt. I could remember times when she would call me sobbing and feeling the same way. I felt so much better after lunch, I still wanted to run for the hills, but I resisted the urge.
Gerri

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 07/23/07 04:03 PM

gerrbeck, I also sweat more now than ever. Funny, I am also looking for a better deoderant. What a hoot. Anybody have any suggestions?

Having friends and these boards has certainly helped me through my moody perimenopausal state. Well, I also might add that the birth control has helped too.

Yesterday, for no absolute reason at all, while on a boat trip with hubby and friends, I had this intense feeling of sadness. I even filled up while in the ladies room. Weird! Now mind you, this is in the middle of a gorgeous day on the bay doing something I love with people I adore. I decided it had to do with missing my kids because they used to be with us on the bay. I mean it came from out of nowhere. Can you relate?
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 07/23/07 04:27 PM

Yes Dotsie

Mountain ash
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Menopause Symptoms - 07/23/07 05:28 PM

I can relate Dotsie. When our boys, moved out of the house, I joined a club of families that provided a summer vacation for children from Tschernobyl.

I'll never forget one particular day. We drove to an amusement park, and my husband climbed into a ride with the little Russian boys, (6 and 8 years old). I remained on the ground to take pictures. As they whizzed by, it was like I was set back into a twilight zone. I felt I was watching my husband with our sons. Boy did I well up. When the three of them got off their ride, I managed to hide my crying, but it was damn hard.

I was never so aware of time and how fast it goes. A big hand seemed to tug at my heart strings. The short episode of our childrens' lives goes too fast- But I tell you Dotsie, some day you will be a grandmother too, and you will be able to relive these joys, even more intensly than before. You'll see. Enjoy this free time you have now;…before you know it, children's laughter will fill your house again.