Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?"

Posted by: CrosstitchQueen

Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" - 01/28/07 01:19 PM

A friend just lent me this book and I'm wondering if it's going to be worth the read. The friend who read it said the average person couldn't afford all the medical tests that are recommended in the book. I'm 6 years past a hysterectomy and back when I was a hostess at Hystersisters.com was pretty knowledgable about hormones and hormone replacement therapy but haven't been involved with Hystersisters for a few years now and am not really up to speed on these things anymore. I was thinking of reading it just out of curiosity and general info's sake, but just quickly glancing at it last night, I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to get into it.
Anybody read it? And if so, what did you think?
Thanks gals!
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" - 01/28/07 04:22 PM

I have not read ot but will try to get it.
What I have discovered is post hysterectomy and ceasing hrt has meant health issues for me.I am learning so much from a gynae/uroligist.We still need attention and knowledge.
Mountain ash
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" - 01/28/07 04:26 PM

Ann, I haven't read it and I'm not sure if I would ALTHOUGH I do admire her. Could you please tell me the premise of the book? If it's another one of those "here's how you stay young" books, I know I wouldn't be interested.

It's not that I'm against trying to stay younger looking, but I'm just not interested in it for me. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not interested in trying to convince the world that I'm younger than what I really am. You know, with plastic surgery, creams, lotions, surgery, whatever. Does that make sense? It's just not for me. NOW BEING HEALTHY, that's another matter.

So I would be interested in knowing what the book was about.
Posted by: Anno

Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" - 01/28/07 05:12 PM

Just an FYI and a quote from a book review:

"Now, even some of the pro-bioidentical doctors Somers quotes in her books are screaming foul. "Many of the claims throughout the book are scientifically unproven and dangerous," three of these doctors assert in a letter sent a few weeks ago to Somers's publisher, Crown. "By mixing quotes from qualified physicians ... with those of a person with no medical or scientific background, this book will further confuse women and we believe, may potentially put their health at risk."

I have not heard much positive about this book, but then I have not been looking for any either.
Posted by: browser57

Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" - 01/28/07 09:23 PM

I have most of her previous books - and I understand that this last one is all hormone issues for women and men. I did her diet for a time and although it too is not proven (basically food combining) I did loose weight and felt great. I currently am using bioidentical HRT and have to give her credit for being a leading face out there trying to get the word out, after we all stopped taking premrin.

I had initially intended to pick up Ageless, but when I saw her on TV (Larry King) promoting the book, I was shocked to see how pumped her face was with God knows what. She did admit that she had had injections of something for wrinkles and her lips looked like cartoons. That did it for me - how can she go around touting her 'youth secrets' while in reality, she's doing everything except going under the knife herself. She does look great - but she's in her 60's now. How many more decades does she think she can keep this up?
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" - 01/29/07 08:27 AM

Suzanne has always been a go getter and a self promoter. That's what I liked about her years ago. I haven't picked up any of her books just the same. I didn't even buy her thigh master... Now I need two.

chick
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" - 01/29/07 02:15 PM

Anno, thanks for posting that. I was going to share that I saw about it on TV was that it was very controversial. One of the doctors was on saying that the information isn't correct. Of course Suzanne said it was.

The thing that saddens me is that women like Suzanne and I think it's Winona Judd are getting these books published about very technical midlife women's health issues. The publishing industry lets them do it because of the number of books they can sell. It's all aobut the numbers. I'd like a women's health book published by a woman physician who has been in practice and knows this information like the back of her hand.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" - 01/30/07 02:06 PM

Naomi Judd has had so much done to her face she looks scary. Plus, she's a self-promoter just like Suzanne. Is there any product Suzanne hasn't pushed? I think her husband keeps her working so he can live in style.

I want to suggest a wonderful book I just got. Mariel Hemingways's Healthy Living from the Inside Out. It's all about natural living, Yoga and peace. She lives it and she doesn't look like a clown.
Posted by: gims

Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" - 01/31/07 01:12 PM

Ann (CSQ), I hope you do read it and share with us what SS has to say. Of course doctors are going to be squealing if information that is contra to what they practice is spread. Who knows what doctors are doing the squealing, anyway? Are they hired by the pharmaceutical companies? What doctor has time to examine what SS has to say? Is it just going against what he/she has been taught in med school?
I saw Summers on Larry King, also, and fully intended to get her book. I was on Premrin (menopause @ 35) for a couple of years, but I simply don't like taking prescription drugs... at the same time, I realize I need some type of HRT. Natural would definitely be my choice. When I found out Premrin was made from horse urine, I'll admit I freaked and vouched I'd never use it again, even tho a gyno recently tried to persuade me to.

I will be looking for Mariel's book. Thanks for the mention.

Might read Christiane Northrup, too. She explores alternative and conventional medicines for women's health, as well as the integration of the two.
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" - 01/31/07 01:49 PM

I haven't read SS's new book, but did read the first one. In that book, she was backed up by doctors who had been researching bio-identical hormones.

I do not believe the doctors who say b-hrt is harmful either. The pharmasuetical companies are using their money and influence to stop b-hrt and don't care that it helps many women, including me.

If there are any side effects, such as with regular hrt, I will accept them. For me, quality of life is more important than quantity. Before b-hrt, I was suffering from depression, hot flashes, weight gain and mental flakiness. I am able to function now and feel better than I have in years.

I don't pay much attention to anything else SS promotes, sells or discusses, but my experience is that she is backed up by doctors when discussing technical/medical issues.

Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" - 02/01/07 12:18 AM

I skimmed thru this book today, but just couldn't get into really reading it. I tried bioidentical HRT after my hyst and couldn't take it -- it made me feel horrible. Some of us actually do better on synthetic HRT and I'm one of them. When I read that she was on birth control pills for 22 years, that kind of turned me off. I mean.......I don't know about anyone else.....but 22 years??!!?? The book includes interviews with a couple of women who are "success stories" but it seemed that they were miserable until they met Suzanne Somers and there's a lot of self-promotion in this book. I'm sure there are lots of women this book has helped, but I'm not one of them. I agree with some of the things she has to say (about eating right and exercising and doing what you can to stay healthy and strong) but I think it's all about finding what works for you. I haven't read any of her other books, and probably wouldn't have looked at this one twice if a friend hadn't loaned it to me. Don't plan on wasting my time with any of the other books she has out. The last chapter of this book was all about how to dress, wear your hair,makeup, etc., to look younger.....and I was totally turned off by her promoting a facial product that she just happens to sell.
I did lots of research about hormone replacement therapy back when I was involved with Hystersisters.......and might have gotten into this book more if I was still trying to find my own balance and answers......but I've been doing well for years now. If I were still struggling I'd probably have found this book more informative. Maybe it's a matter of it coming along at the right time in your life, but right now it wasn't for me.

Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" - 02/01/07 11:33 PM

Gimster, what does csq mean?

I have nothing for or against any treatment of any kind. There are many, many medicines, ideas and practices that work for each of us in many different ways. I happen to be one who listens to my doctors, but that is because I am too lazy to be my own researcher. I know they have a biased slant, are pushed by drug companies and tell what they know. It is just that I personally trust a doctor's knowledge, but also I question my doctors constantly.

Many of my closest friends are believers in natural healing and I applaud them for the time they take to find out information on what they know works for them.

SS is not someone I trust. Maybe the information she is sharing is 100% reliable, I just would rather hear it from someone other than SS.

Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" - 02/02/07 12:26 AM

I believe that CSQ is short for Crosstitch Queen......me!!

Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" - 02/02/07 12:35 AM

Ah, thanks. The abbreviations used sometimes confuse me.
Posted by: Josie

Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" - 02/17/07 05:13 PM

Did anyone see the expose on SS last night by John Stossel of 20/20? It was quite revealing: Some of the doctors who are mentioned in her books lack credentials and some of the information proved completely inaccurate.

As a nurse, I am appalled at how this self-admitted botoxed former actress can be given credibility as any sort of medical spokesperson.

Regarding HRT, I went off it gradually after the reports came out. The result was that all my symptoms returned with a vengeance. Plus, I lost most of my hair. So now I'm back on my HRT regime (with a complete return of my hair thank God) and stay closely monitored by a physician. To me, quality of life means so much.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Anyone read Suzanne Somer's "Ageless?" - 02/18/07 12:51 AM

Josie, I saw the 20/20 episode and I'm not very fond of her. Not everyone can afford a personal trainer, dietician and botox!