Menopause insomnia?

Posted by: Dotsie

Menopause insomnia? - 11/13/06 07:10 PM

Check this out, www.bedtimebeats.com. It's a classical music CD with low tempos that will lull you to sleep. What do you think?
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Menopause insomnia? - 11/13/06 07:21 PM

snore....veeeeery relaaaaxing.
Posted by: Lola

Re: Menopause insomnia? - 11/13/06 10:50 PM

I don't have flashes/flushes, nor sweats but I have been suffering from men insomnia for the past month. I hope it is only temporary. Music has a reverse effect on me. It wakes me up because I love it. Well, tinnitus does not help as well. Someone told me at work to try wave sounds similar to the ones that babies use.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Menopause insomnia? - 11/13/06 11:45 PM

I have worked the phones late nights for so long that even now after quitting, I can't fall asleep before dawn usually. I do most all my editing then. I write then as well as my mind seems sharper and more imaginative at night. I am usually going to bed when the sun is rising, hey why not, I'm single, foot loose and fancy free...No more schedules governing my life. At last!!!
Lola, I have a small table fountain in my bedroom and the sound of the water cascading over the rocks is very soothing and calming when one is all keyed up, or suffering from insomnia. They are reasonably priced and it might help.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Menopause insomnia? - 11/14/06 07:52 PM

Lola, what is men insomnia? Oh! Menopause insomnia. What a doofus I am. Now I get it.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Menopause insomnia? - 01/30/07 10:11 PM

My sleeping habits are wee hours these days. Flashes too. I am saving big bucks on the heating bill tho. Of course the laundry bill eats that up.

chick
Posted by: gims

Re: Menopause insomnia? - 01/31/07 01:15 PM

chick... it doesn't get better. At least, it hasn't for me and I've been post men going on 20 years. I crave sleep, but can't seem to get enough because my body won't rest itself... Hope you (or anyone else) don't develop the same problem.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Menopause insomnia? - 01/31/07 01:39 PM

I have had problems with insomia the last 5 years or so. Now I discovered if I drink a glass of red wine before going to bed, it knocks me out...and I sleep through till morning. I feel like I'm newly born; what a difference.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Menopause insomnia? - 02/01/07 04:56 AM

has anyone tried melatonin? it's in the health food store, and I was wondering if it's any good or has side effects.
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Menopause insomnia? - 02/01/07 02:11 PM

Quote:

tinnitus does not help as well.

Lola,
My husband has had Tinnitus almost all his life. A couple of years ago I discovered "N Acetly Cystine" (N.A.C.) at the health food store. After taking it for about a month, his sinuses cleared up, his hearing improved, and he rarely ever complains of the rining in his ears. He had a long standing appointment at the Hough Hearing Institute and were surprised to learn they have studied NAC and discovered it to be about the only effective treatment for tinnitus.

Maybe it would help your bells in the ears too.

smile

Re: Menopause insomnia? - 02/01/07 08:58 PM

Oh gosh, Smile! Many thanks for that. I have had tinnitus since I was 8, perhaps even younger. I have learned to tune out over the many years after having been told that there was no remedy for it. But, now that I have been suffering bouts of insomnia, I have become more conscious of the buzzing and ringing especially in the still of the night. It's like having a loud radio on which I cannot turn off. Ironically, I have to listen to other sounds to distract from the tinnitus. Many, many, many thanks. I'd surely look into NAC at the health stores here.

Re: Menopause insomnia? - 02/01/07 09:17 PM

Posted by: Saundra

Re: Menopause insomnia? - 02/01/07 10:53 PM

Meredith, I tried Melatonin decades ago. It never helped me. I've hear Tylenol PM is really great but haven't tried it. I've had trouble sleeping for years since I was put on Prednisone, which disturbs sleep patterns. My doc gives me a sleeping pill and still sometimes I wake in the night unable to sleep. I look at the clock because I think it's morning and find that it's 1AM, then 3AM and then 5AM. Those days I feel terrible, physically ill, from the lack of sleep. Sometimes the pain wakes me but not as much as it used to.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Menopause insomnia? - 02/02/07 08:16 AM

Meredith, I sent some to my friend in Canada and she said it gave her nightmares. I joshed her by saying...well at least you got some sleep. She wasn't impressed with the stuff at all. She has a terrible problem sleeping. A few hrs a night and thats it.
Saundra, another friend in Canada told me she wakes up every hour on the hour.
I am a night owl and go to bed late now that OH is working 11 - 11. I go when I'm sleepy. That could be 7 am some days.

chick

Re: Menopause insomnia? - 02/02/07 08:28 PM

smilinize, you might have keyed me into one of my DH's problems. He suffers with sinus, headaches and hearing problems. Won't hurt for him to try N.A.C., I'm sure. He did try Sinus Support EF and it helped his sinuses while he was taking it. His EARS working would be an added BONUS!!! My problem is getting him to take something regularly. He'll stick with it until things get better, then he'll slack off.

Re: Menopause insomnia? - 02/02/07 08:36 PM

I've used Tylenol PM off and on, when I really get run down. I don't want to take it on a regular basis, though, so I really have to be exhausted before I'll permit myself to use some. Would like to hear from others who might have used melatonin. I've heard good and bad things about it... one being an anxious feeling effect. That's what steered me away from it.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Menopause insomnia? - 02/04/07 05:45 AM

Thanks ladies. I may have to think twice about the melatonin. Maybe try it when I don't have to work for a few days. I've had problems with certain class of drugs, like muscle relaxants, that make me very hyper.

I don't have a lot of sleep problems except when I have migraines, and often the pain is so bad that I can't sleep at all. I'm looking at options.
Posted by: Penny

Re: Menopause insomnia? - 02/05/07 10:42 PM

My doctor recommended I try it. It actually made it worse. It's called a paradoxyical reaction. They also gave me a prescription that is supposed to be like melatonin. It's a new one, ramelteon (it may not be spelled right). It gave me nightmares you would not believe. That said, melatonin works for some people very nicely. If you decide to try it, start with a lower dose than on the bottle. Best bet would be to ask your doctor. Mine knew about it and had no problem recommending we try it.

Try warm milk if you can tolerate it or even hot chocolate, but go light on the chocolate because there's a little caffeine in there too. Better to use a little vanilla and sugar or maple flavoring. Or, if you like bedtime snacks, eat a good helping of nice lean turkey--remember the triptophan that puts us all to sleep after Thanksgiving dinner. It's low fat, high protein and often that helps sleep too.