Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Important! Please Read - 08/15/05 10:47 PM

Don't let chatty see this.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Important! Please Read - 08/16/05 12:43 AM

Okay, I'll block it from her. LOL!
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Important! Please Read - 08/16/05 12:51 AM

Hormone replacement therapy isn't even good for you.
Posted by: Sher

Re: Important! Please Read - 08/16/05 06:19 AM

Hi y'all,

I have been on bio-identical HRT for many months now since my Hashimoto's kicked me into menopause at forty.

I was nervous about it honestly. I read everything I could find on the subject before and even after starting it.

The long and short of it is that I am better now than I think I've been in a long, long time. I love my natural HRT and wouldn't give it up for the world. I'd never consider taking the old-fashioned HRT...ever, ever, ever. It's poison, in my opinion.

Just my two cents!
Posted by: Fiftyandfine

Re: Important! Please Read - 08/17/05 01:23 AM

Sher,

Would you mind sharing more about your bio-identical HRT? I'm very interested because I tried going "cold turkey" last January, following a hysterectomy (endometrial cancer) and believe me, the WORLD wanted me to have something, so I've been on estrogen since then, but would really, really like to get to something herbal/natural.
Posted by: Sher

Re: Important! Please Read - 08/17/05 06:55 AM

Well, I had heard about bio-identical HRT first when I saw Suzanne Sumers on a talk show, but I didn't think too much about it. I know she was adamant that it was the best thing that had ever happned to her.

After I found out I wasn't producing very much estrogen any longer, my doc suggested I try it. I was not doing well emotionally and hadn't been for some time. In fact, I was a mess. Add to that my OCD, which always gets worse with hormonal fluctuations and I was seriously having some bad days. I was ready to try anything, but I truly didn't expect anything.

It was bumpy for about six weeks because as it is something a pharmacist compounds just for you, it takes some serious charting of your symptoms and some changing your dosage before you hit what is right for your body. That part was hard and I almost quit.

I'm so glad I didn't! Once I started to feel better, I finally could see just how bad I'd been ... if that makes any sense. I truly, truly feel like it's a blessing in my life and so does my family.

I do know that you cannot yet get it in every state as my Mother says she can't get it in Oklahoma. I'd suggest visiting with your doc about it and maybe getting the Somers book, "The Sexy Years". I found this article that might help a little as well: http://www.womentowomen.com/LIBbioidenticalhormones.asp

I hope that helps. If you have more questions, I'm happy to share my experiences with you!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Important! Please Read - 08/17/05 09:56 AM

Dianne and Dotsie, too late! Been fighting against and marching against the use of premarin for nearly 5 years now. The torture to these gentle, kind and beautiful Mares is horrendous. If taking premarin was the only way to save my life then I would be dead and thats the Gods honest truth. Now they are trying to call it premrin, maybe none of us stupid women will catch on, Dah!!!! Marked by, collected by and invented by males and it isn't even any good for us in the long run... [Mad]
Posted by: Fiftyandfine

Re: Important! Please Read - 08/17/05 06:11 PM

Thanks y'all,

I already made an appointment with my gyn, who wasn't the least bit surprised by my request. Said their office is being inundated with requests for bio and herbal, and they think that is just fine. They're happy to work with me to switch over, which is a good thing, because now that I have a few more facts, it was switch the meds or switch doctors!!!
Posted by: Dee

Re: Important! Please Read - 08/19/05 10:06 AM

I started reading the article and it made me sick...i could not finish it...but, also do not take hormone replacement of any kind now. I deal with the hot flashes and creepy crawly under-the-flesh feeling without taking anything now..I did for years but have weened myself off. The hot flashes I can deal with...I just stuff my head in the freezer while standing in a pan of ice cold water while sucking on an ice cube. That normally does the trick.
Posted by: DJ

Re: Important! Please Read - 08/19/05 11:22 PM

At yoga class I learned about Maca -- extract from a South American plant that contains natural hormones. The woman who was talking about it said she hadn't felt so normal in years. My Peruvian friend says it's very common in Peru.

You can get it at the health food store. I use the liquid drops in water. It's incredible -- gives me energy and clarity. And it's not harmful.

Re: Important! Please Read - 08/22/05 06:04 PM

DJ, do you use this in conjunction with anything else?

Dee, love the visual that goes with your post!

Fifty, what amazes me is that if doctors know about herbal remedies when you ask about them, why don't they recommend them first?
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Important! Please Read - 08/22/05 06:19 PM

Dotsie, because they don't make any money suggesting herbs. The drug companies pay the doctors to write scripts for their meds, good or bad. It's awful. They can make up to $500,000 a year writing scripts.
Posted by: MinniePauz

Re: Important! Please Read - 08/23/05 04:28 PM

You all are right on the money (literally!) I just wanted to let you know that there are women trying Maca and other supplements every day, but unless someone shares their experiences, it's hard for the rest of us to hear about it. You're welcome to join the conversation and benefit from their research and stuff: http://www.minniepauz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=981

Wish I could post a cartoon here for you, but here's one for Dee (and the rest of you)
http://www.minniepauz.com/waterbra2.jpg

Re: Important! Please Read - 08/24/05 03:01 AM

Check in this forum under Freebies for menopause advice and free sample.
Posted by: overthehillchick

Re: Important! Please Read - 08/28/05 04:10 AM

Interesting thread! I'm on NOTHING. And it's driving me up the wall! I've had no period for about two years now and hot flashes ever since. Tired? Talk about tired! I don't want to go anywhere and at times when I'm working (I wait on tables at night), I get this "dip" in energy. I'm thinking this is a low blood thingee...haven't checked it out yet, too busy! My bf keeps telling me to go to the gyn to have this checked out because he has the opposite, high blood sugar and tells me that having low blood sugar can be just as dangerous. Any thoughts on this?

Oh, I do have to say that ever since I started speed-walking, I've had a tremendous boost of energy. I just started and am going to continue to see if this is what my problem is. I'm 150+ pounds and I need to lose about 20 pounds.

Dorothy

Re: Important! Please Read - 08/28/05 04:20 AM

The low blood sugar can drag your energy level way down and being overweight even 10 pounds can do the same. Sounds to me like you have found the answer in speed-walking but you prbably should have a blood test just to be sure there isn't anything medically wrong.

Re: Important! Please Read - 08/28/05 06:19 AM

Dorothy, do you eat anything when you have a dip in energy? If so, does it help? I know lots about blood sugar. My husband is a Type I Diabetic, and my daughter is a Type II. Fell free to ask questions.
Posted by: nutrovitasub

Re: Important! Please Read - 05/29/06 12:30 PM

Maca Extract Full Spectrum :

Planetary Formulas Full Spectrum Maca Extract combines a standardized maca extract with a whole maca root extract to preserve the integrity of the whole herb while delivering guaranteed amounts of important constituents.
Other Ingredients: sorbitol, stearic acid, modified cellulose gum, colloidal silicon dioxide, and magnesium stearate.

For Maca Extract Products :
Maca Extract

For More Information nutrovita

Re: Important! Please Read - 05/29/06 06:11 PM

You are welcome to advertise on our home page at BWS. When someone pops in like this and doesn't post in any of our other forums, we view it as spam.