Von Willebrand disease

Posted by: GJAX

Von Willebrand disease - 06/28/08 12:07 PM

after 3 months of not having my period I got the red tide so to speak. I bleed for a month straight. after discussing this with my DR and some blood test done I found out I had Von willebrand. has anyone else ever heard of this disease? I never did till the results came back.
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: Von Willebrand disease - 06/28/08 12:34 PM

I know that it is a bleeding disorder not as severe as hemaphillia (?). I had never heard of it until last year and one of my students (I'm a school nurse) has it and we take precautions if he gets a bump or cut, etc. by applying pressure and ice.

Have you had symptoms of excessive bleeding in the past from bumps and cuts?
Posted by: GJAX

Re: Von Willebrand disease - 06/28/08 01:31 PM

Hi Jane. the only thing is through the years my periods have been pretty heavy. more so these past couple years. also I started to develope what my DR calls cherry spots. I have been noticing lately that I bruise easy too. never really bleed alot when i'd got a cut. i'm also anemic wheather that has anything to do with it I just dont know.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Von Willebrand disease - 06/28/08 07:57 PM

Google it Anne, theres stuff on the internet about it...
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Von Willebrand disease - 06/29/08 03:29 AM

GJAX, my sister has VW. She never uses a sharp knife( it's funny watching her peel potatoes sometimes) and avoids picking up broken glass or anything that could puncture/ pierce the skin. Apart from that, she is not on any meds or anything.
I. on the other hand, need a deep cut in order to bleed. But I bruise very easily.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Von Willebrand disease - 06/29/08 09:05 PM

When growing up I had a friend that was a hemophiliac and was forever being rushed to the hospital. He did better as he matured. He got married and everyone as at his lavish wedding and so happy for him. On their honeymoon to Florida some drunk rear ended their car and his neck snapped back causing him to bleed to death internally before help could arrive. He was 23. I still get all teary when thinking of him.
Posted by: gims

Re: Von Willebrand disease - 06/29/08 09:11 PM

How sad, chatty.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Von Willebrand disease - 07/05/08 08:07 PM

GJAX, what type of instructions have your doctors given you? Do you think you should get a second opinion?
Posted by: Saundra

Re: Von Willebrand disease - 07/10/08 08:21 PM

The things I learn here always astound me.