Free Mammograms..then what?

Posted by: Di

Free Mammograms..then what? - 10/11/07 05:35 PM

I have wondered about this. Some states offer them free I imagine to those w/out health insurance.

But then, if they find something...if a woman does not have health insurance, they are at a dead end.

I, for one, do not get a Mammo due to no insurance. Nor do I get a free one. Simply for the reason I stated above.

If God allows me illness, then I'll be ready to go Home.
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: Free Mammograms..then what? - 10/11/07 07:27 PM

Di, I'm sorry you have to feel this way. In this day, there are small but steady breakthroughs in breast cancer treatment and it doesn't have to be a death sentence. Generally, people without insurance can pay a few dollars a month for whatever treatment they receive. I do understand how you've come to feel due to the lack of insurance. It sometimes puts you into a "whatever happens, happens" mode of thinking. I don't know but I can't help but feel that you could get a mammogram if for no other reason than to have peace of mind. I think I'm talking in circles...sorry. I'm a 5 year survivor of invasive breast cancer and I just feel so strongly about this.

Re: Free Mammograms..then what? - 10/11/07 07:33 PM

No, not a scary diagnosis. A few years ago I had to do another mammo...in a "cone" view, but all was fine.

Yes, I do not want to burden DH with HUGE expenses. He'd have great memories..and I'd be in heaven anyway....less "taxing" place to dwell!!!

I took myself off Premarin for this very reason. I want to do what I feel is best for MY health. If I have to rely on doctors, then it is not a quality of life for ME.

Re: Free Mammograms..then what? - 10/12/07 12:18 AM

Oh no...not depressed at all! Just questioning the FREE'ness of testing. Do they then offer FREE medical treatment?
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Free Mammograms..then what? - 10/12/07 12:29 AM

I have a suggestion call the American Cancer Society or check out there web site is it www.americancancersocitey.com or org not sure . Or Google it . They can tell you about free mammograms , but they are out there . Just getting the word out and if you need surgery the American Cancer Society will pay for the operation . I know that for a fact . My friends mother did not have insurance the Cancer Society paid for her surgery .

Hope this has helped .