Pine tar soap

Posted by: Di

Pine tar soap - 06/26/07 03:15 AM

Has anyone ever used it? If so, why and do you like it??

I know it's excellent for eczema. DH shaves with it. Yes, we make it and people are coming back OFTEN to buy it. Pine tar is a natural antiseptic.

Just wondering!!!
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Pine tar soap - 06/26/07 02:26 PM

Never tried it, but the name doesn't appeal to me. Pine is nice, but tar sounds black and icky gooey. What does it smell like?
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Pine tar soap - 06/26/07 06:07 PM

I've hard of it, but don't think I've used it. Tell us more about it. Is it green? Is it the stuff you useafter gardening that prevents poison ivy attacks?
Posted by: Di

Re: Pine tar soap - 06/26/07 06:15 PM

Well, it's not green..it is dark brown. It is the actually pine sap from a pine tree...only from another part of the tree.

It's used for acne, eczema, dry skin. Not sure it prevents poison ivy attacks, but it sure is good. Here's a pic of pure pine tar. DH uses it for shaving (as do I for my legs!) as it helps when you get skin nicks etc. They use it, predominately for horses hooves, to help with dry, cracked hooves and to protect them from fungus.

Also excellent for dandruff. And yes it's very lathery. However it's not a "phoo-phoo" smell. Kind of earthy/natural. We use saponified castor oil, lard and pine tar. HUGE seller!

Our bars are as dark as the top pic..as we use the darker pine tar.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Pine tar soap - 06/27/07 01:25 PM

Di, how did you learn all of this for your soapmaking? DId it begin as a hobby? I remember my kids making all the neat shaped sopas when they were kids. We still have some of the molds.