No more glasses!!

Posted by: yonuh

No more glasses!! - 06/10/07 11:55 PM

I am posting for the first time ever without glasses or contacts, and it feels great! Yippee!

On Tuesday, I went back to my eye doctor to get my new contact lenses for the vision correction system. They are rigid, gas-permeable lenses that I sleep in overnight. The first two nights, I didn't sleep very well because first, I felt like I had grit under my eyelids, and second, because I was afraid that the lenses would fall out. (They didn't fall out and they are now so comfortable, I hardly know I have them in.) Wed morning, I put my glasses on as usual and everything was a little blurry for both distance and up close. But I put my contacts in and went off to work. Thursday morning, same thing. By Friday, neither my contacts nor my glasses helped at all, and I could see quite clearly for distance. Went to Target and picked up a pair of cheap reading glasses so I could at least read. Yesterday and today, I didn't even need them. I was able to read today with no eye strain, and can read everything on the computer just fine.

Sorry for going on about this, but I've been wearing glasses for 20 some years, and contacts for a little over 10. Being able to see without either is exciting!! And, in case you didn't notice, I'm ecstatic!!!!!
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/11/07 12:41 AM

Did you have cataract surgery or lasik? Whatever...this is wonderful...as I type with my reading glasses on...LOL!

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/11/07 02:52 AM

I had neither. This is relatively new and was just approved last Oct. I will wear the contact lenses every night to sleep in. I wasn't brave enough to try the lasik! This system is reversible - as soon as I stop wearing the contacts every night. Best results come in 2-3 weeks and then stay that way as long as I sleep in the contacts.
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/11/07 03:28 AM

Wow! I haven't heard of this...how wonderful!
Posted by: Lola

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/11/07 08:23 AM

I wish I were as brave as you to undergo an eye procedure, Yonuh. I have been wearing glasses since I was 8. A cumbersome thing. I am glad you have done away with it now.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/11/07 11:52 AM

I've never heard of this before either. Really amazing! I'm so happy for you Yonuh.

Have you ladies read about a new invention to help blind people see? That is incredible too. They can actually see through their tongue. Sensors on the tongue are connected to the brain as well, which can send images to the brain. That really blew me through a loop.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/11/07 04:54 PM

Well, bite my eye...times they sure are changing...

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/12/07 06:38 AM

Chick you always make me chuckle out loud. The Cat never get's your 'eye'...tee hee
Posted by: Dianne

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/12/07 03:06 PM

Having recently gotten Lasik, I understand how amazing it is to not need glasses anymore. Good for you!
Posted by: NewLeaf

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/12/07 08:37 PM

How much did it cost for the lenses? Is it something insurance would cover?
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/12/07 09:01 PM

I haven't heard of this either and my husband is an eye doctor. I'm going to get him to read your post. That is awesome.

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/12/07 11:10 PM

NewLeaf, the cost for the lenses depends on whether you do monovision or bifocal. My insurance doesn't cover the whole cost, but I get a yearly 'allowance' for contacts, so they used that. The rest came out of my pocket. It cost me about half of what Lasik would have cost. I'm sure the cost varies by region or even by doctor. I thought about this long and hard, but the deciding factor for me was the fact that I could actually come home from work and take a nap if I wanted without having to take out my contacts and switch to glasses afterwards. (yep, it's the little things!! LOL)

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/12/07 11:40 PM

Wow, Yonuh, I love the quote at the end of your entries. What a beautiful philosophy!

I'm definitely going to look into the lens treatment as I have monovision. That would be the answer to prayer for me. I hate wearing cheaters. (Hate living with them too..lol)
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/13/07 06:22 AM

Yonuh, I never heard about that procedure either. Congrats on your new better vision!

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/13/07 01:17 PM

NewLeaf, you're a riot.
Posted by: Saundra

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/14/07 01:18 AM

Yonuh, congratulations. I didn't know about this procuedure. Hannelore, I hadn't heard about the blind people thingy either. I have to go clean my glasses and reread it.
Posted by: chocoholic

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/14/07 08:43 PM

That sounds really interesting. How does it work?

I got lasik a few years ago and LOVE not needing contacts or glasses any more.

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/14/07 10:24 PM

The way I understand it, the lenses change the shape of the eye, so that the refraction is changed. Which is why it takes a while to reach optimum and isn't permanent. My eyesight is improving daily. The effects sort of wear off towards the end of the day right now, but I'm noticing that it's taking longer to wear off.

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/14/07 11:20 PM

I'll bet wearing the hard surfaced lens and the eyeball being mostly liquid or gel..forms to fit the shape of the lens overnight then goes back to its original form during the day..just a guess.
Posted by: chocoholic

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/15/07 01:31 PM

That is so interesting that the hard lenses work like that. If my eye sight starts to change again I'm going to check it out.

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/15/07 03:16 PM

You gals have it right. I asked hubby about it and the one thing he did say is that it is for a very narrow segment of people who have a certain correction, so it is not something that would work for everyone. It depends on your correction.

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/15/07 05:40 PM

Dotsie, did your husband hear about seeing through the tongue? I find that story to be a major breakthrough.

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/15/07 11:39 PM

I've been wearing the lenses for 9 nights now. Just went back for a checkup, and my vision is now better than 20/20! It wasn't that good with my soft contacts, and I haven't had 20/20 vision in years. This is wonderful!
Posted by: gims

Re: No more glasses!! - 06/20/07 04:50 AM

Oh how I envy you... in a good way.
Enjoy !