Supplements

Posted by: gims

Supplements - 01/27/07 06:11 AM

Do you take supplements of any kind?
If not, why not?
If yes, what?
What brand and where do you purchase them (online or in a store)?
What made you decide to take them?
Do you feel they do you any good or do you take them in hopes of warding off an illness, aging or mental/physical disorder?

Thanks in advance for answers...
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Supplements - 01/27/07 02:15 PM

Great topic. I'm interested in hearing what women are doing. We've discussed this before but it was ages ago.

I take a very low dose of the birth control pill for perimenopausal symptoms and it works like a dream.

I also take Vitamin E for Fibrous Cystic Disease and it works beautifully.

That's all I'm doing now. This post reminds me that I need to begin taking my multi, calcium, and evening primrose oil again. I got out of the habit.

What are you taking?
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Supplements - 01/27/07 02:48 PM

I take vitamin C and a multi-vitamin. That's about it!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Supplements - 01/27/07 03:38 PM

I purchase Origin from Target, to include milti- mineral/vitamin along with biotin, green tea, alpha lipioc, fish oil, and 81mg aspirin. Yet, should take more calcium!

Re: Supplements - 01/27/07 06:43 PM

I take a multi-vit & min called Life's Fortune (very potent - I can only take one a day and sometimes I have to skip a day), along with Vit C, Vit E, FishOil, l-Lysine, Biotin and HSN, CQ10. I was taking glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate, on my sister's recommendation, but once my supply ran out, I gave it up. Didn't find that it made a difference.
Posted by: browser57

Re: Supplements - 01/27/07 06:56 PM

Let's see - I take a fist full these days. I take a One A Day for Women (without iron) - then for cholesterol, I take red yeast rice, policosinol, omega III's,; glusomaine & chondroitin for bum knee, supplemental calcium and ginko for brain fog. I have been purchasing the popular brands but my doctor has given me a source for pharmacuetical strength calcium that I will try next.

Re: Supplements - 01/27/07 07:19 PM

Hey browser, I've been trying to find something for lowering cholesteral. I see you take the red yeast rice and policosanol. Shouldn't you be supplementing the red yeast rice with coenzyme Q10, because, from what I've been told, red yeast rice might interfere with liver functions. Also, I've been told policosanol is a waste of money. I've had high cholesteral since my twenties, refusing medical doctors' presibed medications. I would like to take something natural, but have yet come across something I feel totally safe in taking. I have an herbalist who suggests things, and I trust her, but once I was introduced to a 5-HTP product for my moods and it sent me spinning - I was soooooo effected by it in a negative way... so, I rarely take anything new, without getting loads of feedback.

FYI - and this is only a guess on my part. I lost my gallbladder 3 years ago. I attribute its dysfunction, and ultimate demise (can an organ have a demise?lol) to the calcium supplements I had taken for years.
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: Supplements - 01/27/07 11:58 PM

I have trouble swallowing supplements because they are so big now...I miss the little round One A-Days...do any of you know of a brand that isn't soooo big...and I don't like the chewables either!
Posted by: denanz

Re: Supplements - 01/28/07 02:27 AM

I take the Arbonne nutritional hybrids. The are supplements that you take twice a day. Several tablets a multivitamin, multimineral, calcium, antioxidant and digestive enzyme. A lot to gulp down but I believe it truly helps in keeping me healthy.

www.denisesgifts.com

Re: Supplements - 01/28/07 03:33 AM

I have just started seeing a new doctor - just finished up a batch of blood work. I will see her next week for the follow up - she will no doubt be reviewing all these supplements. My previous doctor worked with me and I lowered my total cholesterol from 275 to 184 with diet and supplements. I have read about Q10 and have a list of questions to take with me next week.
Posted by: CrosstitchQueen

Re: Supplements - 01/28/07 01:10 PM

I take a whole long list of stuff. Started on most of this after I had my hysterectomy 6 years ago. Prescription meds........I take a blood pressure med (Verapamil) not for high blood pressure, which I've never had, but because it works on my trigeminal neuralgia pain. I take Premarin for hormone replacement and just started on Zetia for high choleserol 2 weeks ago.
Supplements.....I generally buy whatever brand I have coupons for, none of them seem to bother me. Every morning I take a multi-vitamin, COQ10, vitamin E, primrose oil, flaxseed oil, vitamin C, glucosomine, 81 mg aspirin, calcium. At dinner time I take fish oil and acidopholis. At bedtime I take calcium with magnesium and zinc (since I started on that, my bone density has improved!) and another vitamin E.
I started on the fish oil about a year ago hoping it would lower cholesterol but it didn't work. Not really sure if I should continue to take it along with the Zetia but havent' made up my mind about that yet. I tried the red yeast rice but it bothered me.....made me feel like I was speeding along and nervous and shaky.
Yes, it seems like a lot, but after I had my hysterectomy, I couldn't take hormones for 6 months because I'd had so much endometriosis. I took black cohosh for several years but stopped taking that recently......just decided I probably didn't need it anymore, and I haven't noticed any difference. Anyway during that time my doc suggested trying the primrose oil, flaxseed oil, and several of the other things, and I continue to take them because I feel good most of the time and figure all these supplements must be contributing to that. I started on the COQ10 because I'd read that it could help with the Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Sometimes when we go on trips or have company and I get off schedule as far as my supplements (miss taking them for a few days or whatever) I can tell a difference. I feel better when I take them on a regular schedule.
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Supplements - 01/28/07 04:44 PM

I use Lifescript supplements http://www.lifescript.com/vitamins

They provide a personalized vitamin and supplement program based on an analysis of a personal health survey you take for them.

For me, I take a

Body Resculpt (Green Tea and other supplements to manage cell health and metabolism to support healthy weight management)
Calcium Complete
Daily Solution Pro (a combination of vitamins, minerals and herbs)
Joint Guard (Glucosamine and Chondroitin)
Stress Guard (Herbal extracts and essential vitamins to help soothe and calm the body for reduced stress and tension and improved sleep)
Women's Ultra (Manages female hormonal fluctuations associated with PMS and menopause through the benefits of soy, goldenseal, and black cohosh)

I also take four fiber capsules a day along with Lysine for my immune system and Biotin to help promote carbohydrate, protein, and fat metabolism (along with great hair and nails)

I also take one aspirin a day for bursitis

And finally, I take a myriad of prescription pills for various diseases and disorders. I'm taking meds morning, noon, dinner, and evening.
Posted by: orchid

Re: Supplements - 01/28/07 10:31 PM

I haven't taken anything. I have been recommended to take a calcium supplement and at times, iron. But haven't gotten around to it.

But yes, I do eat tofu 1-2 times per week. Nothing new since it's a old, old food from childhood for me.

I have spoken to a sister who is family and emergency services physician...and also to another sister who is licensed pharmacist at a major teaching hospital.... only take supplements that you absolutely need. There are alot of pharmcokinetics, or drug-drug interactions that even the scientific community do not have all the answers.
Posted by: pawm

Re: Supplements - 01/29/07 05:51 AM

I recently started taking a multi-vit/min -- for the added assurance of getting all the nutrients I need;

calcium chews only for those days I do not eat foods with calcium -- important for maintaining bone health since we lose calcium as we age -- as well as to help the blood pressure stay within normal range;

somedays I take omega-3 fatty acids -- to minimize inflammation and one type of these fats is concentrated in the eye and brain so I wanted to make sure I have enough to support memory and vision -- the other type supports heart health

And some days I take vitamin C to help maintain my immune system during the cold months.

Orchid, I agree that there are quite a bit of herb/drug/nutrient interactions and we must know what we are doing when we take these supplements. I research and write a lot about this area -- one reason is because there is so much misinformation.

Re: Supplements - 01/29/07 02:09 PM

Oh my gracious, you all know so much about this topic. Do any of you get Prevention magazine? I think I should subscribe to it.
Posted by: celtic_flame

Re: Supplements - 01/30/07 07:35 PM

multitude of multivitamins....
it's a disipline in itself....

evening primrose and a multivitamin and mineral...

got kiddie one a day vit c for child when he older then try the omega oils for him, can't get him to eat oily fish...

balanced diet easy enough but stuff like road fumes getting to fruit and veg that in local shop all change the contents even if they are fresh....i take more in winter and less in summer...helps keep coughs and colds away.....oh ecconachia as a preventitiv or boost for immune system when i feel a bug or something comming on.....

celtic_flame
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Supplements - 02/01/07 05:01 AM

multi-vitamin
1500 mgs. calcium
800 mgs. motrin
325 mg. aspirin
5 mg. biotin
400 mgs. riboflavin
revivex/celadrin (for joints)
right now 3 vitamin C pills a day for my cold
will start megadose magnesium soon
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Supplements - 02/01/07 08:47 AM

I swear by vitamin E ! When I take that I have no knee pain. I also take magnesium and calcium.

And a few spoonful of laughs per day,
is great to chase those blues away.
Posted by: katebcca

Re: Supplements - 02/05/07 10:08 PM

I take wild salmon fish oil, multi vit for 50+, flax, cromium, Vit C, selenium and St. John's Wort.
I was wondering if anyone takes iron supplements. I am always tired and have fibroids. I bleed heavily that time of the month and for a week after I am so exhausted. I work out and eat a healthy diet but just bought an iron supplement today in hopes that this will help. I want to be careful not to take to much though so was wondering if others take this supplement and what your experiences are.
Kate
Posted by: Phyllis0618

Re: Supplements - 02/06/07 01:34 AM

One question asked was the brands that have the highest quality. My concern is taking too much omega 3 because the fat can cause fat.

Any words?

Re: Supplements - 02/06/07 03:20 PM

Chatty has an online supplier she uses. You may want to ask her.

Re: Supplements - 02/06/07 06:30 PM

I can't help you on the iron supp question. Never really needed iron supplementation before, either.

I've been post-men for close to 20 years. But, as an alternative to ordering online or as a pre-cursor to ordering online, I'd research your question/concern as much as possible. Get to know your subject, then go to several health food stores, herbal shops, vitamin shops (not your chains like GNC,etc.) and test the owner/employees. If they hit the target on their answers, try them later on one or two other areas. This is the way I found my herbalist, who is also a nurse. I have asked her many questions and have received knowledgable responses enough to trust her when I go in with a concern. I only order online when I need something and she's out of it. I use some Nature Sunshine products ( http://www.naturessunshine.com/index.asp ) I'm able to get a great discount on my Tiao He Cleanse online.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Supplements - 02/07/07 10:55 AM

My chiropractioner advises after doing kinesolgy.She has a wealth of experience and knows my body.
She advises Solgar supplements.Some I have never heard of.Olive Leaf...as an alternative to antibiotic.
She is Danish and truly dedicated.
Mountain ash

Re: Supplements - 02/07/07 02:15 PM

There are so many women out there to listen to who ascirbe to differing healing techniques. How did you all decide who had the best options for you? I am definitely into alternative medicines, however, the only time we chose a homeopathic doctor for my daughter's diabetes, I was majorly disappointed. I sat in on one of her appointments and since I know lots about diabetes because my husbnad also has it, I felt like I could have been the doctor.

Re: Supplements - 02/07/07 04:45 PM

Dotsie, I found my current doctor by asking a compounding pharmacist to refer me to someone in my area. I think I hit the jackpot this time. She is a D.O. (they already use manipulation as treatment - not the same as a chiropractor but one the same page.) She is getting my hormones(more like the lack of) back on track and has also worked with me nutritionally - diet and supplements. I am a fan of Dr. Weil (another traditionally trained MD but uses both main line and alternative medicine. Prevention magazine has been a wonderful reference over the years.) Maybe a little throw back to the generation of rebellion - I believe I have a responsiblity to take care of my body...... Thankfully, I have been very healthy and as I begin the slide into my 60th year, I intend to continue to try to eat well, exercise, keep a sense of curiosity about every day, and continue to become spiritually whole.

Re: Supplements - 02/07/07 10:29 PM

Mountain Ash, I've never heard of Solgar, oddly. But, I love a feature they have on their site http://www.solgar.com/. If you click on a product, let's say CQ-10 100 softgels, http://www.solgar.com/Products/Specialty-Supplements/Coenzyme-Q-10.aspx a supplemental facts window pops up. That is mighty handy.
Also, they carry gluten-free, veggie and even kosher products. Thanks for introducing us to this company. I can see why your dr uses them. There's not a retailer that carries it within 60 of me, but I will be asking my herbalist about carrying it in her shop.
Posted by: Saundra

Re: Supplements - 02/08/07 01:12 AM

Solgar is expensive. I get vitamins at Walmart (I know, I know) and a local vitamin store. Vitamins E, B-50, A&D, C & calcium in the form of Bone-Up (has glucosamine, C, D3, K1, folic acid, magnesium, zinc, copper, etc.) fish oil Omega 3 twice a week. And I take meds morning and night.

I eat oatmeal every morning and I'm the only person it has never lower cholesteral.
Posted by: Phyllis0618

Re: Supplements - 02/08/07 01:13 AM

I am taking a cholestrol lowering drug and was told that CO Enzeme 10 is important to take with it. My doctor does not like the idea of putting anything else in my diet. I already take multivitamin/minerals, calcium with Vit D, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin B complex. Don't forget Actonel as well.

Doctors are not always familar with herbal options but at the same time there can be an interaction with prescriptions as well.