can't sleep?

Posted by: Dotsie

can't sleep? - 09/13/06 06:11 PM

I learned aobut htis in a magazine and now I can't recall which one. I wrote down the link and just foudn it on my desk.

www.bedtimebeats.com

Heck, for 19 bucks, even if it doesn't work, it's worth a try.
Posted by: DJ

Re: can't sleep? - 09/13/06 11:29 PM

Dots,
I checked out the site and listened to the snippets of music. Seems a bit too fast to put ME to sleep. One problem I've had with stuff like that is that when it's over, I wake up. But as I've said before, I've done a lot of observation about the things I eat that keep me from sleeping. The worst offender is sugar -- if I have any sugar anytime after noon, I don't sleep that night. It takes a lot of work to narrow this stuff down, though.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: can't sleep? - 09/13/06 11:50 PM

You know the strangest thing...a friend told me once to eat some vanilla wafers and drink a glass of milk, right before bedtime and that I would sleep soundly. I tried it and low and behold, it worked. At least it did for me. Go figure!

JJ
Posted by: Pam R.

Re: can't sleep? - 09/14/06 12:31 AM

Ummmm J.J., that sounds good to me. Will it still work if we use the low-fat wafers and skim milk? Just trying to be a little good!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: can't sleep? - 09/14/06 12:36 AM

I don't have a clue. Couldn't hurt to try it though...eh?

JJ

Re: can't sleep? - 09/14/06 12:47 PM

DJ, are you having trouble sleeping? If so, I think nice long walks after dinner with a friend helps that. Hint! However, I won't be back in the wlaking business until late November or December. Bummer!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: can't sleep? - 09/14/06 03:00 PM

Well I turned in about 2:45 A.M. this morning and here I am up at 7:30 A.M. in the forum fooling around and posting recipes. I usually sleep late and soundly but lately, the last couple of months, I seem to need far less sleep. Sometimes my mind just won't turn off so I can get to sleep or stay asleep. I guess thats life.

Re: can't sleep? - 09/14/06 09:41 PM

Dots -- So your knees will be back in business just in time for cold weather?
Posted by: diamond50

Re: can't sleep? - 09/15/06 12:44 AM

A soft instrumental CD can help put some to sleep : )
Cindy
Posted by: flossie

Re: can't sleep? - 09/15/06 10:10 PM

Calcium and Magnesium tablets put me to sleep.

Re: can't sleep? - 09/16/06 01:59 AM

I've had trouble sleeping since I was a teenager. I think it's great that you all can find remedies. I've tried everything that's ever been recommended, including Ambien and belladonna, and have yet to find a surefire one. The weird thing is, though, that I have energy during the day even though it feels like I'm usually awake half the night.
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: can't sleep? - 09/16/06 03:09 AM

JJ,

Milk has tryptophan in it which is the same thing in Turkey that makes you sleepy. I'm not sure about the vanilla waffers but I think they make the milk go down easier!

A few minutes of deep breathing and relaxation before I go to bed helps me turn off my brain...oh darn, I forgot to turn it back on today...so that's been my problem?!
Posted by: Dee

Re: can't sleep? - 10/10/06 02:36 AM

I found a menopause doctor who is great and last year she prescribed ambien for me which works great. However, I am one of the rare statistics who has sleep eating from Ambien. I told my physician about it and she'd never heard of it...I even saw one of the evening shows like 20/20 or dateline do a piece on it. Now, everytime I go in for a checkup or something my doctor asks me how the raids on my fridge at night are going. No kidding, I'd wake up in the morning with pop corn kernels or Hershey Kisses wrappers under the covers or candy bar wrappers on my nightstand. It's really weird. Does anyone else have this side affect from taking Ambien?
Posted by: dejavu

Re: can't sleep? - 10/10/06 03:31 AM

If I drink milk before bed, I put-put-put all night long. Not too pleasant.
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: can't sleep? - 10/10/06 03:47 AM

DJ, it could be that you don't need as much sleep as the rest of us. If you feel fine and you have energy, then you're probably okay.

My hubby wishes he never had to sleep because he could do so much more. (what? watch more sports?) But me... I LOVE my sleep.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: can't sleep? - 10/10/06 09:43 AM

That's cute, dehavu..."put put" all night long.
Dee, I know you can get eating attacks from cortison. Maybe your medication has some of that in it?

You can set the clock by my night rituals. I'm usually wide awake at 3:00 AM. I get up, get a glass of water and switch the TV on. About 40 minutes later I'm sleepy again, and crawl into bed with cold feet. Hubby thinks I'm nuts…I say it's menopause.
Hannelore

Re: can't sleep? - 10/12/06 03:21 PM

Does anyone think insomnia is hereditary? Just wondering...
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: can't sleep? - 10/12/06 11:16 PM

You got me there, don't have a clue.