Getting Your Nails Done!

Posted by: Pam R.

Getting Your Nails Done! - 07/15/06 12:15 AM

I have been getting my nails done professionally for the past 15 years every two weeks. I have silk wraps and although they always look beautiful, I cringe when I think of how much money I have spent. I wonder if I will be 70 and still doing this? Anyone else go through this addiction like me?
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Getting Your Nails Done! - 07/15/06 12:49 AM

I don't, but I have a sister that would ask that the world stand still before she would miss her nail appointment, every two weeks. My best friend also has her's done, and several of my friends, come to think of it. I do my own but recently had a manicure and LOVED it! I wish I could afford to have one on a regular basis. What a treat!

JJ
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Getting Your Nails Done! - 07/15/06 01:28 AM

I have had acrylics since forever. It's the only way I can have any kind of nails at all. My nails have always been the kind that peel off layer by layer. No amount of supplements, lotions, nail treatments, or anything would let me grow nails past the the level of the end of my fingers. The first time I got acrylics, I was hooked. I love the way they look.

Occasionally, I have them taken off for whatever reason, but always go back. I know they cost money that I could use for something else, but I'm convinced I'm worth it!
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Getting Your Nails Done! - 07/15/06 02:30 AM

It only cost me 15 dollars every 3-4 weeks for a fill. Can't beat that...and I am worth every penny . A pedicure once in a while never hurts either. Groomed nails look so nice and I choose a different colour each time.I don't know what wraps are? Maybe you should look in to acrylic over your nails Pam. It doesn't cost much. What do you pay for wraps?
chick
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Getting Your Nails Done! - 07/15/06 01:19 PM

Yonuh, have you tried, AppearX? The pharmacist keeps it behind the counter but it's the only thing that stopped my nails from peeling. Plus, I use Nailtique all the time too. Until I started using them, my nails peeled too.
Posted by: Pam R.

Re: Getting Your Nails Done! - 07/15/06 01:51 PM

Chick, I tried acrylics several years ago but found them to look too thick and unnatural. Then the technician suggested silk wraps which are silk material that are cut to the shape of your nail and glued on. Then they use powder and gel and glue on top. Then, they drill down on the top of your nail to smooth it out. You need new wraps about every 6-8 weeks. It takes about 2 hours to do that part at a cost of $45. (plus tip of course!) Every 2 weeks you simply get fills of powder and gel, more drilling and the final manicure. That costs $25 (plus tip of course!!) The condition of my nails underneath all this is horrible. When they take off the old wraps every 6 weeks I get to see the damage that has been caused. The real nails are thin and bumpy. A friend had them removed and it took her 1 whole year for her nails to look normal. I am soooo hooked, there is no turning back now!
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: Getting Your Nails Done! - 07/15/06 02:45 PM

I used to get acrylics, but stopped due to the cost and the fact that I started remodeling my home.

If you go to a good nail tech, they won't look thick. If they they do, then I would ask around and find another one. I think they look awesome with a French manicure, very natural looking.

Daisygirl
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: Getting Your Nails Done! - 07/15/06 03:33 PM

I'm as hooked as you are Pam...I love having my nails done every few weeks...it's a little gift I give to myself...:)
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Getting Your Nails Done! - 07/15/06 03:36 PM

Diane, thanks for the tip.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Getting Your Nails Done! - 07/16/06 02:15 PM

I'm sitting here looking at my fingernails and toenails thinking...it's time. I had them done for all the graduations and vacation, but it's time to have them done again. I go occasionally, but I especially like to have all 20 nails done in the summer.

I must share that we have several places to have them done and my daughter and I have switched to the less expensiive one. There are two spas in town that do a great job but they are so expensive. We found a less expensive place that does a great job, but I get the feeling it's a nail factory while I'm in there. Women are everywhere!
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Getting Your Nails Done! - 07/16/06 03:36 PM

I let my nails grow out naturally, and they're long and strong. I attribute it to taking 1000mg of Biotin every day. And they grow fast too. I'm always having to trim them down so they don't get too long.

I used to get acrylics for years but I didn't like the condition my nails were in underneath all the goop. They were weak, peeling, and broken.

I wouldn't go back now. Not since my nails look good enough without it.

Maybe you might want to try adding Biotin (it's a vitamin B) to your daily supplements.
Posted by: LSmith5434

Re: Getting Your Nails Done! - 07/16/06 05:33 PM

I have gel done on my nails.
And I have a pedicure once a month.
I have gel because it makes my nails look shiny and I don't like long nails.
In fact, they are short, but I have the gel fill done because my nails are very thin, and I have ugly hands, so I try to make my hand looks nicer.
I am diabtic and have diabetic neuropathy in my feet.
It's hard for me to cut my nails myself, and I found a technician who knows about diabetic neuropathy and she does a great job.
Just had them done last week.
Feels so good to sit in the massage chair and have your feet and legs massaged along with the pedicure.
The gel fill only costs $23, and the pedicure is $25.
Even tho' I'm living on a fixed income now, I won't give my gel fills and pedicures up.
Lynne
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Getting Your Nails Done! - 07/17/06 02:47 PM

Lynne, a girl has to do what a girl has to do! Having good foot care is so improtant for a diabetic. Good for you. Just think of it as a medical expense!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Getting Your Nails Done! - 07/17/06 10:44 PM

Sounds to me Lynne like this is not a extravagance but a necessity for both your physical and mental health, you go girl.
Posted by: starting over

Re: Getting Your Nails Done! - 07/18/06 03:46 PM

I consider myself very blessed to have healthy nails that look like a french manicure--naturally. I have tried keep nail polish on mine for a couple weeks at a time, but the tole it takes on their health just isn't worth it. I just keep them filed and buff them to a healthy shine and go! I truly am blessed. I don't know how you guys manage to find the time or $$ to keep up your nails. I applaud your commitment.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Getting Your Nails Done! - 07/19/06 12:38 PM

I don't know if it's a commitment as much as a need. I'll get a pedicure before a manicure because it's Summer and I wear open-toe shoes and my feet get gnarly looking. Plus, I can't see my toes that clearly anymore to do it myself! It's that aging eyesight thing.

To me, it's just part of a maintenance program to make me feel better although I don't go in as often as I should. When I can scratch my husband's back with my toenails, it must be time for a pedicure.