Dr McDougall

Posted by: flossie

Dr McDougall - 03/20/06 12:53 AM

Just wondering if any of you boomer ladies have heard of Dr John McDougall, read his books or even follow his plan? He's American and has written several very interesting books. I adopted his way of eating several years ago, lapsed slightly bringing back cheese and other dairy products into my diet, but I'm going back to excluding them again. I was much healthier without them.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Dr McDougall - 03/20/06 07:07 AM

I've read his book but I found it too restricting and knew I wouldn't follow it. I like the plan I'm on, with Joe Dillon, The 7 Natural Laws. There was another woman on this board who has followed John McDougall's plan for the past 10 years, but she's no longer here. I'm sure she's around, probably, just not posting. Maybe she will jump in here and share with you.

JJ
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Dr McDougall - 03/20/06 07:29 AM

McDougalls plan is great and very healthful if you are into an all vegetarian diet. I do that myself and have several of his books but I do eat fish, chicken and some very lean meat on occasion. I do mostly concentrate on vegetables and grains and beans however....JJ is doing what works for her and it does work as she has dropped 19 pounds already and done it in a healthy manner....

Re: Dr McDougall - 03/21/06 12:40 AM

Thanks for the responses, JJ and Chatty. I love the starchy vegies, grains and pulses, but like I said I have included some dairy products and occasionally have meat so I'm not a true McDougall follower. But having said that I have followed the plan for several years and have maintained the exact same weight (thereabouts!!) for the entire time, also very few winter colds and never the flus that go around....and I work at a school!

I have always been very interested in nutrition and like to read other ways of eating too, so I shall check out that book you have JJ, by Joe Dillon, my library doesn't have it I'm sorry to say. And well done with the 19lb loss too!!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Dr McDougall - 03/21/06 05:11 AM

Well.....as of yesterday (I think it was) I'm down 20...but hey, who's counting, right?

ME! ME! ME! hahahah.....

JJ

P.S. Joe Dillon has a FREE CD and info plus shake samples they will send you when you visit their site. Honestly though...he has a wealth of FREE info on his web page, just there for the world. Everyone says he is a great guy....

JJ, again

Re: Dr McDougall - 03/22/06 02:14 AM

Found his site, thanks JJ. What's your ultimate pound loss you hope to achieve? You'll be down a dress size already!!

Re: Dr McDougall - 03/22/06 03:12 AM

I was reading through the long thread started by jawjaw about dieting and see Ladybug is the McDougaller. If you're around Ladybug, it would be nice to chat about your experiences with the program.