Reflux

Posted by: Dotsie

Reflux - 12/11/03 06:49 PM

Is it my age or what? Every time I turn around someone else is having reflux problems, especially when they lie down to go to sleep.

I read an article about it the other day and here are some of the things you should stay away from if you have this problem:
caffeine, chocolate, fried and fatty foods, smoking, and some rx meds. Being overwieght is also a contributing factor.

I don't have this issue...yet...but I have noticed that I can't eat as late into the night as I could when I was younger. I just don't sleep as well. Fortunately we eat on the early side.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Reflux - 12/12/03 08:09 AM

okay, let's recap shall we?

No chocolate
No caffeine
No fried foods
No smoking (no problem)

My guess is whoever wrote that article is a commie pinko. I mean, no Godiva? no coffee? no fried green tomatoes? [Mad]

Actually, and all kidding aside...I take one nexium a day. If I do, all is well...if I don't, I double over in pain and reflux...it ain't pretty. [Frown]
Posted by: Lynn

Re: Reflux - 12/12/03 09:17 PM

Gosh, I have suffered with reflux for ten years at least. The article was right about all the don'ts.

I quit smoking because of it. That was a good thing!

It is pretty manageable now unless I eat something very fatty. Creamed soups made with real cream and butter kill me.

I will ALWAYS eat Godiva's! [Big Grin]
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Reflux - 12/31/03 08:27 AM

I just read aabout a new procedure called Entery.

For those who don't respond to, or have side effects from medications, they can now have this outpatient procedure done with a local anesthetia.

They inject a solution that bulks up the weak esophogeal valve that allows the stomach acid and food to move up into the throat. The solution they inject makes the lower esophogeal valve muscle stiff and then the regurgiation is less likel.

Just thought I'd share. One of the beauties for people who have this procedure done is a good night's sleep. [Big Grin]
Posted by: Candice Johnson

Re: Reflux - 01/06/04 01:25 AM

I ended up with a bacterial ulcer that caused horrible reflux. I am glad mine was only temporary because I can't imagine having that problem all the time. I think I may have over eaten during the holidays because I have a small burning feeling in my stomach again. Any natural solutions other than just stop eating all the bad stuff?