Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I?

Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/08/08 11:16 PM

Okay, I've been thinking about a tummy tuck for about six months now. And, I'm ready to tell the world that I want one. Okay, you consist of my world.

I want a tummy tuck. So, should I?

I know, the cons are general surgery, painful recovery, infection, etc.

But, the pros are that awful flap of skin from having 3 babies and losing over a 100 pounds would be gone!!! I could wear a bathing suit that I wouldn't be embarrassed to show my body!

My husband says he loves me know matter what my body looks like, and I love him for that. But, I want to love my body too. And, this is the only part of my body that I don't love.

I know, my boobs sag and my butt has disappeared and my thighs look like an ad for cottage cheese, but I don't care. I know that's all a part of aging. I have wings under my arms that flap .. woo hoo!

But, I am not happy with my sagging belly fat. It looks awful and It makes a horrible outline in whatever I wear. No matter what type of control underwear I put on, it still sags.

So, I'm asking for your honest opinion. Should I or shouldn't I?

Have you had a tummy tuck? What was your experience? Share please!!
Posted by: Anno

Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/08/08 11:18 PM

I know what you mean, Vicki. This belly fat is a new phenomenon for me, too, and I hate it. I look forward to hear what others say.
Posted by: mscoach

Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/09/08 01:07 AM

HI VIcki,
The following story may initially seem unrelated but I hope you'll see the connection.
For years I had really bad fibroids. Feeling like crap and bleeding out to the point of not being able to go without changing protection more than 30 minutes or pay the price in the form of a mess all weighed on my quality of life. But what bothered me as much--if not more I'm not too vain to admit-- was my round, pregnant looking belly. I'm an active person and no matter what I did I had this belly.
I had 3 surgeries that equal C-sections in the way they cut. The final one was a partial hysterectomy. I wanted a quality of life but I also wanted a normal looking belly. So I decided that the uterus had to go.
I was told I'd only ever get 70% of my stomach muscles back fully. I hoped that this would be better than what I'd been dealing with.(at the time of surgery I had a 14 week sized uterus.)
Guess what? Since then I think I have way more than 70% but who's counting because what I got, almost immediately, was the ability to hold in my gut. ONce I started exercising I was able to have a nice, flat-ish belly. My life was transformed on so many levels but I have to tell you, having my stomach look like I wanted it was huge.
I have a friend who is younger than I, she's about 44 now, but had a tummy tuck 3 years ago. She too had had 3 children. She hated her slack stomach, otherwise she felt really good about her body, saggy breasts and all.
Her husband eventually bought her the surgery. Like your hubbie, he didn't care if she had it or not but realized how important it was to her.
She's never looked back, had no complications, and feels like a new person.
I've had moments where my stomach wasn't exactly in the best shape in the almost 9 years since I had that surgery but it's still always felt better to me than before.
I hope this long story helps you feel good about something you want and I can't help but feel will change your life in so many ways.Trust your gut--forgive the pun--it's you who knows what brings you joy.
Best
mscoach
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/09/08 02:03 AM

I say if it's what you really want, do it. Research it on the web for the pros and cons, and find a good surgeon who is board certified. Ask your own doctors for recommendations. I know of someone who had it done, and she was thrilled with the results. The down time was rough - a good 6 weeks or so - but if you can live with that it's not a problem.
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/09/08 02:13 AM

Hello Vicki, you live in Tampa, where shorts and tees are probably the dress code! And you may go to the beach thus the bathing suit angst you mentioned. I think that if you are healthy, of sound mind, and want to do it for you, then why not? You lost 100 pounds! That's fabulous! If you want to reward yourself, go for it! PL
Posted by: gims

Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/09/08 06:02 AM

I say, go for it!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/09/08 08:42 AM

You've earned it lady... Just be very sure your doctor is not one of those quacks that looks good, talks a good game and got his licence on the back of a tobacco can somewhere in Argentina. Contact the medical board of surgeons in your state...Find a good surgeon and go for it...Too hot to handle soon you'll be!!!

Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/09/08 11:39 AM

Thank you ladies, for your opinions. You've all been wonderful. mscoach, your story wasn't too long at all. Best of all, all of you GET it. It's a "feel good on the inside to feel good on the outside" issue.

I'll definitely do my doctor research, and talk to my primary care doctor about it. This is a very important decision. It's general anesthesia... and I'm allergic to some kinds, so it's potentially and life threatening decision as well. I have to be so careful.

But, I really feel strongly about this.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/09/08 01:38 PM

Vicki,
My neighbor just had 1 of those a few months ago. She said it was painful. And the lady does not look any
better. I think, I'd think twice before doing that!
And then think again.
Prayers and blessings

Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/09/08 07:07 PM

Thanks, Jabber. I appreciate that. I wonder why she didn't look any better?
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/09/08 07:20 PM

Vicki, just curious...does your insurance cover this? I'm just wondering because if it doesn't, could you get the results you want from a gym and a trainer? Seems it might be less expensive. Yes? No?
Posted by: dancer9

Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/09/08 07:41 PM

Vicki, hon, I think this is great. We all should feel good about ourselves and if this is preventing you from doing that, it will be theraputic as well and cosmetic! You sound as if you will allow yourself to enjoy life more, like going to the beach, etc! Hooray.

Your surgeon is key. I've had SO many sugeries in my life, I've lost count. It is all in the surgeon. Meet the surgeon and if there is one iota of mistrust on your part, seek another surgeon.

Other good tips are that a surgeon is on top of his game in the early morning surgeries. Surgeons love to operate and when they come in for the day they are ready and able and wired! ( I know this from my close friend, a doctor.)
Look that surgeon in the eye and ask:
Will you stay with me throughout this procedure no matter what?
If the surgeon promises this, he/she must keep her word and make sure you are fine throughout your healing or in any case! Bond with your surgeon, and try to break through that sort of dissociation that surgeons have.

Have a great surgery and congratulations on a "me," decision that is good for you!
We all need to make those from time to time, if not every day!

I'm proud to know you!

Dancer
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/09/08 08:01 PM

I know two women who have had breast reductions. While it's not the same, it's similar. They are never turning back. They said it's been life changing. They feel so much better about themselves and that goes a long way in my book.

Research, research.
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/09/08 09:28 PM

Personally, I would never have elective cosmetic surgery because of the risks involved. If you already know you have issues with anesthesia, then it seems even more risky.

If you choose to do this, I wish you well, honestly. Most insurance companies don't cover elective surgery; are you paying for this yourself?

Good luck with whatever you decide!!
K

Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/09/08 10:20 PM

Definitely not covered by my insurance.

I'm doing lots of research. And, I'm going to be going on consultations so will be meeting each surgeon to get a good feel for each one of them. Won't be meeting with any surgeon that isn't board certified.

JJ. This isn't something that can be toned up with exercise. It's a flab of skin and tummy muscle that hangs from the hips and tummy. No amount of exercise will ever make it go away.

http://www.climiami.com/tummy.html

Here's a site that has some before and after pictures of what it looks like.
Posted by: dancer9

Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/10/08 06:46 PM

Dear Vicki,
Don't worry so much about "going under."
The anesthesiologist of today have almost a no-brainer job.
Because of so many problems in the past, the machines are so calibrated towards no accidents that they only have to watch! Some read!
You will meet the anesthesiologist and you can directly ask him to stay awake!
I've been "under," as I've stated, from childhood on SO many times that I've seen the technology change over time and I have also said that my close friend is a doctor, and a good one, who explained it to me.
Again, good luck and anesthesia could not be safer now..
The only concern, and the doctor will check you, is if you have problems getting oxygen in your daily life!
Dancer, good luck!
Posted by: AdornmentsMilani

Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/11/08 07:20 AM

I've heard the same thing about the morning surgeries that Dancer mentioned. Also, that it's best to schedule early in the week as opposed to Thurs or Fri. And don't forget to check the surgeon's license w/ your state's dept of consumer affairs.

Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/11/08 03:04 PM

Dander and Adornments, thanks for the anesthesia comments. I've heard about getting surgery scheduled in mornings is a good thing. I've had surgeries before, but always "locals"... no generals, I haven't had a general since I was 41 and had my gallbladder and ovaries taken out. The anesth. dr. was really helpful then and explained it all to me. I can only imagine that technology has gotten better and better.

So far, it's between my husband taking helicopter instruction lessons and my surgery. Hmm.. which will win out?
Posted by: Josie

Re: Tummy Tuck - Do I or Don't I? - 09/23/08 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Vicki M. Taylor
Definitely not covered by my insurance.

I'm doing lots of research. And, I'm going to be going on consultations so will be meeting each surgeon to get a good feel for each one of them. Won't be meeting with any surgeon that isn't board certified.

JJ. This isn't something that can be toned up with exercise. It's a flab of skin and tummy muscle that hangs from the hips and tummy. No amount of exercise will ever make it go away.

http://www.climiami.com/tummy.html

Here's a site that has some before and after pictures of what it looks like.

My abdominal "spillover" is worse than any of the pictures shown in the link. The women in our family have really soft tissue and the abdominal excess seems genetic..... I hate constantly wearing dark colored bottoms and tunic tops to disguise my protrusive abdomen. But then, I think there are far worse things in life to deal with physically.

I'm not going to have an elective surgical procedure, because as a nurse I took care of these women post operatively and do not want to put myself through that. Plus, I'm not a big fan of most elective surgeries period. That's just me.

I think you'll be best equipped to make an informed decision once you interview and research several board certified physicians, find one you are comfortable with, and find out about the anesthesiologist who would be providing that service(since you have allergies and it is VITAL to check them out beforehand.)

Good luck with whatever decision you make. PS: Since people with extensive girth have an increased risk of certain health problems, is it possible your insurance company would cover the cost if your physician says the procedure is an absolute necessity for health reasons? Maybe it wouldn't hurt to ask.