Vitamin D Important for More Than Strong Bones

Posted by: PZMiller

Vitamin D Important for More Than Strong Bones - 07/15/08 03:41 PM

The July 15th Wall Street Journal's Health Journal details how important it is for all people -- and especially people over 50 -- to have sufficient Vitamin D to help prevent several diseases as well as to help keep bones strong. Here's my PZ the Do-Gooder Scrooge blog post for today about this important vitamin: http://tinyurl.com/5rwo9h
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Vitamin D Important for More Than Strong Bones - 07/15/08 08:27 PM

Fifteen minutes in the sun daily will give us all the vitamin D we need to promote excellent health without the danger of skin cancer. I simply take a walk around my property looking at the flowers, trees etc. and watering and thats all I need do. In winter if its overcast alot then I'll take a supplement of vitamin A/D...
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Vitamin D Important for More Than Strong Bones - 07/16/08 11:12 AM

Not everyone has the time to be outside. In the summer, I am on the patio for a bit every day. Apparently, that is not enough. Then again, sometimes, by the time I get home, the sun is about gone or gone. If the sun is still out, it is very strong and we sit at the table under the umbrella. I work in an inside office with no window. It's just not something you think about until there's a problem. I am feeling better, but I have also switched jobs and have less stress. I think that is more key for me.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Vitamin D Important for More Than Strong Bones - 07/16/08 08:15 PM

Louisa I certainly have 'NO' time to spare for sun bathing and have never laid out in the sun. But a mere 15 minutes a day is plenty and you can also get it by sticking your arm out the window while riding in the car. So long as the sunshine touches you somewhere for about 15 minutes, you get the same benefit...

Good for you for switching jobs and having less stress, that too IS definitely a good thing...

NO sunshine here today, its raining cats and dogs yet again this month...