Check this out...

Posted by: gims

Check this out... - 05/09/08 06:07 AM

http://www.ouhsc.edu/article-display.asp?idnum=1232

http://www.fdhn.org/wmspage.cfm?parm1=297

Pretty exciting , huh?
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Check this out... - 05/09/08 07:04 AM

Very interesting gims. Thanks for posting these links.
Maybe there is something to that, about a cancer gene.
On my side of the family no one has ever gotton cancer, and we know that about 4 generations back.
On my husbands side; three of his siblings have died of cancer and both parents as well.
Hopefully they can find the key to all this.

Re: Check this out... - 05/09/08 07:23 AM

The big 'C' doesn't run in my family, either. But, my grandmother supposedly died of some intestinal cancer. One sister has had it and I've had nodes taken from my neck (benign). But 'C' scares the s*** out of me. It runs in my husband's family big time, which opens the door for my babies. I was so excited when I read this article... so very, very excited. Along with neurochemistry/pharma, neurobiology, neuropsych... well, anything neuro, when they discover something new, my ears perk up.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Check this out... - 05/09/08 01:09 PM

My mom is from a family of nine children. Only one is still living. Of the eight that have died, five had cancer.

I am not afraid of cancer. I've seen so much of it. Many have died, but more recently, many are surviving. I think we're getting somewhere with treatments. I also believe preventative medicine is key. If we don't feel well, we should do something about it. Ignorance kills.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Check this out... - 05/09/08 01:22 PM

Interesting research: RBM3 genes? Thanks for the postings.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Check this out... - 05/09/08 01:37 PM

I agree, thanks for the info.
Posted by: humlan

Re: Check this out... - 05/12/08 07:41 PM

Thanks for the info, gims. I am scared of the big "C"..I wish that could be as balanced about it as you are, Dotsie. But it scares me..And there are many here that have had cancer.. and from in between the lines sometimes..I think I can feel the battles and the pain..and the strength and the vulnerability..please remember as you read this that I have lost a daughter, many years ago now..from a long term illness..not cancer..but a liver illness.

I liked hearing about all the people on this thread and their relatives that do not have cancer..often you hear about those that do..naturally and of course. But it kinda scares me then..I am hopeless..I know!

Thanks again, gims!

Re: Check this out... - 05/17/08 10:45 PM

Glad to share... it's about time some good things start coming out of the many years of research and the money spent... it's mind boggling to imaging the $$$'s raised by Jerry Lewis and there's still no answer in that medical arena.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Check this out... - 05/22/08 01:16 AM

The original research for anti-angiogenesis started in the 1960's with Dr. Judah Folkman, and it took over 20 years before positive results were documented. Hubbo & I saw Dr. Folkman at a lecture at UCI Medical School ~a year ago. Every success in research leads to more ideas -- and in the best case scenario, more successes. Sometimes research is done for decades, but answers remain elusive.

Back before any of this research, my mother felt that our family had "the cancer gene." Now we know that there are many genes and gene mutations. Considering our family history, my cancer is most probably genetic. Either way, cancer is cancer, one big scary sh--.

I hope I live long enough to see a cure, for all of us.