Garden Bed

Posted by: Anonymous

Garden Bed - 09/12/06 02:45 AM

I recently purchased a child's bedframe at a local antique store for only $30. It is green and weathered, just perfect for the garden! I shall set it up in the back yard, build a raised bed and backfill w/ soil. Will plant a few plants this Fall, yet will have this great raised "bed" for next spring plantings and seeds. Hope to find another next year and a pair, then I'll need a "nightstand"! This has become one of my favorite exercises and past times. Any other gardners out there?
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Garden Bed - 09/12/06 12:55 PM

Sounds really cute!! I'm not much of a gardener, but I love looking at everyone's creative ideas.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Garden Bed - 09/12/06 01:07 PM

What a great idea. I am a gardner, but not nearly as creative as you. Tell me more about your gardens.

I am a frustrated gardner at the moment because I can't garden like I want to due to my knee injury. Humph! Our two biggest gardens have a slight hill in them so I can't get around in there like I need to.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Garden Bed - 09/12/06 09:17 PM

Tip #1, Red juicy tomatoes are teeming with Lycopene - an antioxidant that the scientists believe can reduce the risk of many cancers, and help prevent heart disease. Boost 'em with Borage! Plant borage with them. It's an excellent companion for your crop, because it'll actually improve the flavor of the nearby tomatoes sweetness.....

Tip #2, look for smooth, firm, and fragrant tomatoes. Place partially ripe tomatoes in a paper bag with an apple or banana to speed ripening.

Tip #3, Don't forget about pizza and pastas, their tomato based sauces provide lots of tomato nutrients. Easy to make yourself as well. Begin by washing and coreing the tomatoes, cut away any bad spots. Put the tomatoes in the blender, or puree until smooth. Can or freeze the juice. Perfect tomato base for anything.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Garden Bed - 09/13/06 10:56 PM

My soil is primarily red and white clay, which is full of nutrients, yet plant selection is limited. However, shasta daisey, daylilies, bachelor buttons, upright verbena, and knockout roses do well, as far as annuals and perenials. I've really become fond of the daylilies.

The flower "bed" plan will include zinnia, cosmos, shasta daisey, gallardia, salvia, yarrow, daylily, lambs ear, mint, etc. The "bed" will be raised about 8" and backfilled with soil and drainage, thus I hope to have some color next summer in the back yard.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Garden Bed - 09/23/06 12:34 PM

Mustang, your garden sounds magnificent. How do you choose what to include? Do you use magazines or flower catalogs to plan?

Since hurting my knee, I haven't been in the garden and it's killing me. I am going to figure out a way to get in there today even if I have to sit on my butt and scoot around. The things we take for granted!
Posted by: 49erDonna

Re: Garden Bed - 09/23/06 06:02 PM

What a great idea. I love using rummage sale items in new uses but would never have thought of that - thanks for sharing.

I too am not much of a gardener - though I do have a rose bush that grows like crazy. When my son was little we planted sunflower seeds and the ones that grew were like 7-8 feet tal with huge flowers - what fun - my son being 6-7 thought it was going to be like Jack and the beanstalk!

Donna
Posted by: Anno

Re: Garden Bed - 09/23/06 11:03 PM

I transformed my backyard into a garden and deck haven. It is my favorite place to be. Each summer I add a bit or two.

This summer I added a raised garden with a old picket fence that I picked up at a garage sale. I made a large oval (circle turned bad) and made a butterfly garden. I love it!