Unexpected sodium bombs

Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Unexpected sodium bombs - 09/14/13 04:19 AM

I've been aware of hidden sodium in my food for ages. Ever since my blood pressure skyrocketed when I was pregnant with my 35 year old daughter.

So I'm pretty good about avoiding processed foods, and movie theater popcorn, and soft drinks. I even bought low sodium V-8 at the store the other day when I discovered ti is available. (I haven't had V-8 as a breakfast beverage for all those 36 years!)

But I just saw a slideshow on hidden sodium just now that held a few surprises for me. So I thought it was worth sharing. (I didn't know about jarred pasta sauce, for example.)
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Unexpected sodium bombs - 09/14/13 03:58 PM

I clicked on the link, Anne, but no slideshow. And I learned long ago to read ingredients; not just for sodium but for all the other 'junk' that manufacturers put into what we eat, including dyes. Fresh, unprocessed food is still the best option.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Unexpected sodium bombs - 09/14/13 10:36 PM

Strange, Yonuh, I clicked the link again, and it DOES work for me. Don't know what to say about that.

If anyone else wants to try to scope it out, it came from a site called www.everydayhealth.com

Of course, fresh, unprocessed food is still the best, but it's not always what we are able to get. I, for one, still enjoy eating out at least once a week. And starting totally from scratch is not always practical. For example, breads and breadstuffs (including tortillas) are included in the slideshow.

And as much as I like to make homemade bread, it is not something I do on a weekly basis. I have to balance time and convenience against making everything from scratch.

I mean, I don't have time for learning how to deal with honeybees, but I still like to enjoy honey. I know the more local my honey is, the healthier it is.

So that means frequenting local farmer's markets for produce, honey, fruit, breads etc. Problem is, locally my farmer's markets are only open on Saturday mornings. And I am not available to shop at that time.

So: it's all about balancing, isn't it?
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Unexpected sodium bombs - 09/14/13 11:40 PM

Might be because of the browser I'm using.