Women, Heart Attacks and Jogging for Heart Health

Posted by: Charlotte

Women, Heart Attacks and Jogging for Heart Health - 12/05/11 02:44 PM

Many people seem to think that heart attacks are more of a problem for men. However, this is far from the truth.

It is a fact that women have built in protection when they are younger, but as we age we start to lose it. What is worse, when a woman does have a heart attack it generally a more serious issue than it is for men.

For this reason we need to keep our hearts in good condition. Don't get too overweight and find a good exercise program and stick with it. Jogging is known for its heart benefits and that is what I have done for years.

I am now in my 60s and still jog almost daily. You do need to start off slow if you are out of condition or have never done it before.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Women, Heart Attacks and Jogging for Heart Health - 12/05/11 06:50 PM

Good topic to bring up as we get towards New Years Resolution time, Charlotte.

Here's an article from SportsMD.com that provides information from a doctor's point of view. It says jogging is good, as is walking, but seems to indicate we'll get even more benefit from a sport like tennis, swimming, etc.

I suppose we just need to get moving, no matter how we do it. LOL!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Women, Heart Attacks and Jogging for Heart Health - 12/19/11 10:26 PM

You're so right Anne. Walking at any speed is helpful as many women areen't equipped to jog.
Posted by: Charlotte

Jogging Your Way To Good Health - 12/24/11 01:57 AM

Jogging is a great exercise for getting in top condition. If you are out of shape you can start off slow, even with a fast walk, and work your way up to a jog and then a faster jog. By the time you get to where you can jog 45 minutes a day at a good pace you should have no more weight problems if you don't offset the calories you burn with a lot of fatty calories.
Posted by: orchid

Re: Jogging Your Way To Good Health - 12/24/11 08:14 PM

As you can see, Charlotte by my blogs' signature, I'm a cyclist. And have been doing it regularily for past 20 years. I returned to cycling when I was 32 yrs. old.

I gave up my car license in early 20's because I was not comfortable driving at high speeds on the highways.

So it's transit or walking for days not cycling

Alot of women in mid-life do return to cycling. This informal international group of women cyclists seems to have a regular bunch of women over...50. But there are women in their 20's.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=7782&page=19 Cycling is easier on one's knees: less pressure as long as one is properly fitted on a bike and knows how to use gears.

Kudos for joggers if you can do it. I just want to go farther with less effort...on a bike. smile I don't think of cycling as "exercise" 1/2 of the time, because I shop, go to work, etc. It's interwoven into my lifestyle.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Jogging Your Way To Good Health - 12/25/11 03:32 AM

I'm with you, Orchid,

I find cycling much easier on my body. And I enjoy it, while I can't say I have ever enjoyed jogging. (Walking I am fine with, too.)
Posted by: jabber

Re: Jogging Your Way To Good Health - 12/25/11 03:34 PM

Orchid,
I think it's excellent that you bike. Great sport for both you and your significant other!