I Can Make You Thin

Posted by: Ellemm

I Can Make You Thin - 09/10/10 01:58 PM

First of all, I'm not selling anything or pushing any products, but I did see a tv show awhile ago that stuck in my head, so thought I'd share if it's helpful to anyone. If people are interested in these principles, they can eat well without buying anything.

A man named Paul McKenna has a program called I Can Make You Thin (this is for folks who might want to look it up). His four principles of eating are this:

1. When you are hungry, eat.

2. Eat whatever you want, not what you think you should.

3. Savor every bite and eat slowly and carefully.

4. When you are getting full, stop eating.

That's it. He says that we should try to keep ourselves in the middle range between fainting from lack of food and feeling sick from overeating. In other words, don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

Now, of course, it's a bit more complicated because we all have to recognize when we're truly hungry or just really want some stimulation because we're bored.

I think the method of eating is awesome. I'd guess this would be great to get over the idea that we need to be hungry or miserable. After that, though, I think we really do need to eat and enjoy foods that are good for us. There's not much use in getting thin on Cheetos and cheesecake. (well, maybe a little cheesecake.)
Posted by: jabber

Re: I Can Make You Thin - 09/11/10 01:04 PM

Ellemm,
I like this idea. Sounds good to me!
Posted by: TheStoryLady

Re: I Can Make You Thin - 01/27/11 07:42 PM

Good advice!

I also like to ask myself "Am I hungry" before eating something.

Also, if something doesn't taste good, I don't eat it. Someone handed me a truly awful cookie. It wasn't homemade, so there was no risk in hurting feelings. I threw it out to the animals.

I explained, "If I'm going to throw down some calories, I'd like to enjoy them."

Ronda
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: I Can Make You Thin - 01/27/11 10:23 PM

Ronda, I can't stand wasting calories on food I don't enjoy. My problem is, I enjoy almost all foods!
Posted by: TheStoryLady

Re: I Can Make You Thin - 02/03/11 06:31 PM

I feel ya, sista!

The "see food diet" right?

Ronda
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: I Can Make You Thin - 02/03/11 08:06 PM

Given the weather we've been experiencing, I have been thinking that I MUST be burning a LOT of calories by getting outside to shovel and make my way down the hill to my mailbox.

So when I saw this link to the "Freeze Your A** Off" Diet from NABBW's Weight Loss Expert, Janice Taylor, and I had to share it with you!
Freeze Your A** Off Diet

Enjoy!
Posted by: Over_50_Health

Re: I Can Make You Thin - 02/07/11 05:42 PM

First - diets do not work.

Second - eat garbage and you WILL get fat and even exercise will not help.

Third - eat a "clean Diet". That means less processed food and more real food. Eat as much as you like.

Fourth - add in some exercise and watch the transformation begin.

You will be totally amazed. Age doesn't matter...
Posted by: RachdGrm

Re: I Can Make You Thin - 07/28/11 12:35 AM

Rhonda,

Thanks for telling it like it is.

I have been struggling with ways to lose weight and I realize it's not an overnight fix.

Must eat clean!
Posted by: RachdGrm

Re: I Can Make You Thin - 07/28/11 12:50 AM

Sorry ladies one more thing I'm curious to know if anyone has read "I Can Make You Thin?"

Hi Ellen--

Are you referring to the book "I Can Make You Thin," a book that provides a hypnosis cd to listen to after?

I am interested in knowing if you had used it before or even if hypnosis works on rewiring your mind to exercise more, eat less, etc.

Re: I Can Make You Thin - 07/28/11 06:43 PM

No, I saw a tv program with the author on it giving a lecture. He explained the basic principles and had people come on an testify about their own weight loss struggles. I know there is more to it, namely exercises in determining if you are actually hungry or just want to change the way you feel, plus hypnosis.

I just thought the basic idea was very interesting because it's simple: eat when you are hungry and stop as soon as you are not hungry. It's so easy to eat beyond that point.

For myself, I already exercise quite a bit. I'd like to lose 10 pounds and I'm sure my problem is portion control. I'm working on making substitutions, like veggies for bread, etc.
Posted by: Charlotte

Re: I Can Make You Thin - 11/21/11 02:57 PM

As logical as that sounds I guess I am low on willpower. I love eating and I love sweets. The only thing that keeps me from getting huge is that I spend a lot of time walking briskly or jogging slowly. The length of my workout is usually based on how much I ate for the day. Sometimes I have to jog for a long time.

Re: I Can Make You Thin - 11/22/11 04:37 AM

I hear you, Charlotte! No doubt after Thanksgiving I should find a way to walk for a very loooong time! LOL...

Re: I Can Make You Thin - 11/22/11 02:06 PM

Actually, I'm not sure you are. You're doing something else that's very useful: keeping track of your food 'bank account' and exercising accordingly. We all need to do *something.* I'm far from perfect as well and definitely have a sweet tooth. One of my tricks is to try and make my last meal small -- no seconds -- and satisfy myself with just a few bites of something 'fun.' Oh, yeah, and lots of vegetables.

Ideally, we'd all like to maintain such that we're not looking at an enormous problem. Somehow I have lost about 5 lbs recently, which I'm not going to argue about. I think I have just been really busy, what with taking a class at the university and study sessions doing other things.

Re: I Can Make You Thin - 11/22/11 04:34 PM

Good observations, Ellemm, and congrats on the weight loss. 15 pounds can make a big difference.

For example, I was just reading Dr. Oz's newspaper column for the day, and he was writing about the Type 2 Diabetes epidemic, and what actions we need to take to keep from becoming one more statistic. He mentioned several actions to take -- but one was merely to lose 15 pounds.

I'm not sayin' you personally have to worry about diabetes, but I am saying that what you see as a small weight loss (compared to your friend's big loss) is still one good step toward keeping it from happening.

Anne