This might sound selfish...

Posted by: Dianne

This might sound selfish... - 02/10/05 02:09 AM

I've decided I'm going to put myself first. I start Yoga lessons tomorrow and I'm cleaning up my act...eating better and taking good care of myself. I'm going to get out more often and stop being so reclusive, something I tend to do. I'm going to connect with the positive, supporting friends and the ones who don't support me or bring me down are going to be allowed to float away, gently.

I had to go through some rough times before I arrived at this decision and sadly, there has been pain involved but that seems to be the only way I "finally get it." I'm a stubborn old cuss and believe in things much longer than I should.

I feel like I've been set free.
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/10/05 02:51 AM

I'm sure that you feel light as a feather now that you've made your decisions. We do need to think about US and what's best for US sometimes - even if it means letting old, non-supportive friends "fade away". Congratulations on making a decision to put yourself first - some of us spend our whole lives trying to please everyone ELSE, and ignoring our own needs. Best of luck Dianne!!! By the way, yoga is wonderful both physically and mentally...you will love it!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/10/05 06:35 AM

Dianne,
I salute you dear friend. I've gone thru a similar act of ...hmm....what shall we call it? Finding ourselves? Finding our place? space? Whatever it is, it feels good to let go of the excess baggage that is holding us back, or down. I know I did just that with a particular friend who was more than willing to BE my friend, as long as I did everything SHE wanted to do, didn't talk about writing, and hid my successes. Then, wham! I woke up. I'm sooo glad I made the move to "fade the friendship" as Pam said. It was one of the best things I've ever done. AND...I felt like a freed bird! I've also been very careful about the friends I've gathered around me since.

Good luck to you, and I'm thinking the yoga might be a great thing to do. I might just have to check into that myself! Can you wear a crown while you do that?

JJ
Posted by: DonnaJ

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/10/05 06:52 AM

No, JJ, that crown might get in your way!

I think it must be the stage of life we find ourselves in. I started saying 'Life's too short for this!" about a lot of things in the last couple of years.

I just bought a book called "Talking So People Will Listen" and when I get through with that book, I'm gonna have a few things to say!! LOLOL!
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/10/05 07:20 AM

JJ, there are many inverted postures in yoga, and I am afraid you might get impaled by da queen's crown. Dianne, you sound so confident in your decision. I think this choice might come on the heels of the friend who gave you mixed messages about working on a project: she sounded so draining! You don't sound selfish at all. How could you be with all you GIVE! A little gift of yourself to your SELF can restore your spirit. Love and Light, Lynn
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/10/05 11:56 AM

Dianne, it's about time!!! I applaud your great decision. You deserve it, gal.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/10/05 09:01 PM

Donna, I'm laughing at your post.

"Power to midlife women!" I'm raising my fist. Can you see it?

Dianne, congrats on your revelation. I want to hear about your yoga class.

We're on the right path when we continue to look inward, be still, and make the necessary changes that provide for more happiness within!

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/10/05 09:01 PM

Thanks, sweet friends. Today is my first Yoga class. Geesh, I'm so stiff. I'm afraid of all the moaning that might come out of my mouth and the creaks coming from my bones! Appreciate the support so much.
Posted by: unique

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/10/05 09:04 PM

just cover it up with ahem...Om, Om, Om....they'll never know the difference. [Wink]

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/10/05 09:11 PM

Yes, I must find my "vibrational hum. Maybe I should go sit in the Sedona Desert and find a vortex!
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/10/05 09:12 PM

Dianne, revelations are wonderful aren't they? Somehow, just seeing you "say" those words makes me feel happy for you. You deserve happiness in your life. I'm glad you're looking out for yourself and finding what makes you happy and fulfilled.

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/11/05 02:14 AM

Lord Have Mercy!!! I found muscles I had forgotten about. Good grief, Louise! I can't believe how out of shape I am. My little arms were shaking like a buggy whip on a horse carriage, flapping in the wind. Gee, do you think I needed this class or what????? I kept praying the woman behind me wasn't looking at my butt and couldn't see my thong underwear under my pants. I don't think you're supposed to be concerned with stuff like this. Counters the relaxation. Do these pants make my butt look big?

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/11/05 09:18 PM

Laughing... you are so right. The things women worry about. Who cares what she sees? You're there and that's all that matters. You wear thong underwear? My daughter would be so proud of you. I'm learning from her that there is underwear for every outfit. [Wink] Maybe I need to get with the program! [Razz] Good brief...I mean grief. No, I don't wear briefs!

[ February 11, 2005, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/11/05 10:22 PM

I only wear thongs. First time I tried them, it felt like I was being molested in a way but now, I can't stand anything else.

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/11/05 11:11 PM

...briefs, gotta be briefs...

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/12/05 12:31 AM

What do you do about your panty lines?

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/12/05 01:41 AM

? Never noticed that there were any [Confused] course I don't wear my clothes that tight anyway. And they're cut different...they don't ride high, they ride low. It's all about comfort. The most I'll put up with is tight shoes at church. Other than that....nada (this from the chick who'd put her jeans on wet and let them dry) [Eek!] I musta been crazy ! (whattayamean..musta been)? But seriously, I found out by accident how comfortable they were and never went back!) TMI! TMI!

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/14/05 07:04 PM

I've had panty lines my whole life. I'd rather them than the risk of my butt flapping in the wind. I can use the extra layer between the skin and pants! TMI!

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/14/05 07:43 PM

You gals are a bunch of pansies! Give the thong a try. At first, you won't like them but soon, you won't wear anything else. So far, my butt hasn't been flapping in the wind. Or, maybe it does and I don't know it!

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/14/05 09:32 PM

Dotsie, that's more like a TMI but with the meaning Too Much Irritation! The first time I tried those turned out to be one of the hottest days of the season, a had to stand in an extremely long line and there was an screaming baby nearby. OMG!

Since then, I've been wearing these low cut shorts style undies. No lines and they're cute and sexy too.

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/15/05 03:48 AM

I heard a doctor (female) say we would all be healthier "down there" if we wore no undies!
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: This might sound selfish... - 02/15/05 05:42 AM

I bought a thong for a slinky dress but the underwear drove me crazy! I'm Ms. Practical when it comes to underpants: Jockey For Her high-cut briefs. THE most comfortable.