Anyone here a vegan?

Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Anyone here a vegan? - 06/01/08 07:00 PM

My 16-yr old son just informed me that he is going vegan and wants me to buy him new shoes, new belt, new shampoo, and the list goes on! The only vegetable he eats is corn on the cob, and he's never had the pleasure of tasting soy. Arrgh.

Anyone here vegan and know the best places to purchase items that do not harm animals? The kid is going to have to foot part of the bill if he wants to make this committment.

Thanks!
Kathy
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Anyone here a vegan? - 06/01/08 08:05 PM

I'm not vegan, but I don't eat meat or buy products that are tested on animals etc. Trader Joe's might have some items, but your best bet is to see if there is a food co-operative in your area. There are several in So Cal. They would have all the vegan items.

Re: Anyone here a vegan? - 06/01/08 10:18 PM

Thanks Yonuh. I'm in a rural area about 25 miles from anything, so it's not as convenient to do this. I think the food isn't a problem, it's the expense of the new items he wants and the hassle I have to go through to get it, to support his new lifestyle. And right this minute I'm really ticked at him (he's 16, ok? that should be enough of an explanation) so this isn't sitting well.

I'll check the co-op thing - thanks.
Posted by: orchid

Re: Anyone here a vegan? - 06/01/08 10:28 PM

Quote:

My 16-yr old son just informed me that he is going vegan and wants me to buy him new shoes, new belt, new shampoo, and the list goes on! The only vegetable he eats is corn on the cob, and he's never had the pleasure of tasting soy. Arrgh.

Anyone here vegan and know the best places to purchase items that do not harm animals? The kid is going to have to foot part of the bill if he wants to make this committment.

Thanks!
Kathy

No I am not vegetarian, much less vegan. probably will always have abit of meat in my diet.

The type of shoes he should consider would be vinyl, faux leather, etc. I think alot of running shoes have more textiles and plastics these days. actually non-leather goods, might save him some money. He could consider Walmart now.

I don't know about shampoo..but alot of it is now chemicals and not tested on animals.

As for diet change,vegan is a serious committment. He should start making ...salad /peel veggies. One of my sisters and her hubby raised their kids for lst 8-9 years of their lives as vegetarian. My sister was vegan for lst 2 years.

Who knows, maybe your son, getting off meat commpletely cold turkey might be the best way for him to start. He should start scoping great recipes to try. These magazines have websites:

1. vegetarian life
2. eating well
3. cooking light

I highly recommend all 3 for anyone anytime. I've bought issues from magazine stand for all three.

Is your son accustomed to eating innovative ethnic cuisine...because becoming vegan ..requires diversifying your taste palate..Does he like spicy food, food with lots of fresh herbs?

Methinks the diet change is the hardest of all.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Anyone here a vegan? - 06/01/08 10:40 PM

Well, you might try: www.veganstore.com
if you'd like? That's all I know about the subject!
Prayers and blessings,
Wild Bill & jabber
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Anyone here a vegan? - 06/02/08 10:33 AM

DD, before I bought him all news stuff, I would make sure he sticks to the food habits first. After doing that for a month, ten I'd consider all the other purchases. I think it's a tough change and maybe he won't like it?
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: Anyone here a vegan? - 06/02/08 02:27 PM

Dancing Dolphin, I hear your pain! It reminds me of my (now 33) daughter who announced the same thing at about your son's age. Personally, I told her that she can try but she should educate herself on this. She had a job so had to buy her own particular things and I filled in with the veggies and fruits. It was a phase and she seemed to get over it in time and has never gone back. Things like this intrigue kids and they want to try to do this or that but as has been said, the diet change is a challenge.

Re: Anyone here a vegan? - 06/02/08 05:35 PM

Dotsie, good idea about making sure he'll stick to the food before I buy the other stuff. He's been researching everything pretty thoroughly, but he is one to start something and then 3 months later change his mind. Two years ago he wanted to be a priest, and now he's agnostic!

He's been vegetarian for about 2 months now, guess why he started? His girlfriend is vegetarian. We are meat eaters here, so this is new to me. I support what he wants to do, just trying to be practical.

Thanks for all your info everyone!
K

Re: Anyone here a vegan? - 06/03/08 05:12 AM

Quote:

Dotsie, good idea about making sure he'll stick to the food before I buy the other stuff. He's been researching everything pretty thoroughly, but he is one to start something and then 3 months later change his mind. Two years ago he wanted to be a priest, and now he's agnostic!

He's been vegetarian for about 2 months now, guess why he started? His girlfriend is vegetarian. We are meat eaters here, so this is new to me. I support what he wants to do, just trying to be practical.

Thanks for all your info everyone!
K

Let us know in a few months on son's progress. It IS progress to healthier diet...to eat less meat at least...for life. This might be the end result for him in a decade.

My partner's daughter went through this when she was around 15. The good thing ...was that she voluntarily started to prepare some of her own food for meals..

She is no longer vegetarian...I actually think she's overly picky eater over a wide range of veggies. (She's 30 now.) But she will be satisfied on just small amounts of meat now, seafood and chicken. Yes, she consumes tofu without thinking.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Anyone here a vegan? - 06/03/08 10:17 AM

Kathy, He can also google PETA, they know who carries 'ALL' the products that are not related to animals in any way. They also have in their own magazine with tons of recipes, good ones too, I've tried many of them myself. They also offer books and other sorts of information for getting started going vegan. I believe they counsel people to try it for at least '90' days BEFORE going off half cocked and buying a bunch of stuff that you may never use. Making him work to buy his own products is a great way to test his resolve as well...
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Anyone here a vegan? - 06/03/08 01:34 PM

Don't you just love teens? Honestly! Moods and habits change with the weather.

I was at a party the other night and the majority of other mothers were younger than me and so were their kids. They were going through all the :

Who can spend the night?
What girls are out there with the boys?
Why does that fifth grader have a cell phone?
What happened at the 5th grade dance the night before?
What movie are the high schoolers seeing - is it rated R?
Will he be able to get in that college?
And on and on!

OMG! I had to laugh and say, "I'm so glad my kids are 19, 20, and 23." I'm so finished with all of that.

Sorry DD. I've been there and done that and still have some of it to deal with even with these ages, but much less. Carry on dear friend. Your son sounds like a doll. I think it's sweet that his girlfriend is a vegan and now they're doing this thing together. Ah, young love!

My FIL has had many girlfriends through the years. with each one, came new ways of cooking, new places to travel, new hobbies, new interests. I've gotten a kick out of watching it.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Anyone here a vegan? - 06/03/08 10:55 PM

Kathy, you know I'm mostly vegetarian, with emphasis on vegan. One doesn't need fancy foods but they have to eat ... vegetables, or this won't work. He needs to learn to read labels (as I do) and find out what all those ingredient words mean. Trader Joe's, Henry's, Mother's, and Whole Foods are good retail sources in SoCali, but you'd have to check your phone book. I'm pretty sure TJ's is in San Bernadino.

I agree with everyone that he should buy his own products -- so much imitation leather out there, just about anywhere. Also fabric alternatives. He could buy shoes at Payless, belts at Target, shampoo ANYWHERE that's not animal-tested or animal product.

Smile and tell him that you thoroughly support his decision, but you won't buy him anything beyond your usual allotment of clothing, etc. Anything else comes out of his own pocket. And as far as the commitment part -- HE NEEDS TO DO HIS OWN RESEARCH. Boy has a computer, right? HE needs to research non-animal-tested shampoo brands and where they're available locally. He needs to research ingredients and come up with a food plan. He can always ask his girlfriend, I'm sure she'd be happy to offer advice.

Dancing Dolphin & vegan son - 08/03/08 03:46 PM

So how is this all working out now for meals? Is he committed to this vegan style with his GF?

And has it affected you and hubby's meals too?

Re: Dancing Dolphin & vegan son - 08/03/08 04:15 PM

Well, his venture into the vegan world has been stalled for now. He spent a week with his brother in Colorado, then we were on vacation for 2 weeks, and he just couldn't do it while eating out.

He's having a hard time giving up cheese. He does like the rice milk, so he can have cereal now. Not sure if he's going to stay vegetarian, or if he'll make the push towards vegan. School starts soon, so that may affect it too.

thanks for checking on us!
K
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Dancing Dolphin & vegan son - 08/03/08 05:49 PM

These stages...I would see this while working in High School.
During studies the young people would "discover" about battery hens and intensive farming.A few films changed the attitude for many to meat eating.
Then the Modern Studies teachers would tell about nuclear weapons.And the young people would start to worry...and talk about "Peace" John Lennon was discovered..
Its an interesting time watching these people evolve.
Mountain ash
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Dancing Dolphin & vegan son - 08/03/08 10:08 PM

soy cheese is available at all the places I mentioned, although it is a little boring. Better for cooking than eating straight. But at his age, he may not be as gourmet-minded.

Re: Dancing Dolphin & vegan son - 08/04/08 12:13 AM

LOL, maybe we should do a poll and find out, Anne! It would tie in well with the one about crying....
Posted by: dancer9

Re: Anyone here a vegan? - 08/04/08 02:16 AM

I'm not a vegan, Dolfin, but I don't eat meat.
I don't know if I'd invest in a new wardrobe for my son on his announcement. What will you do?

Dancer