A Mother's Love Reaches Through Anything

Posted by: Eagle Heart

A Mother's Love Reaches Through Anything - 10/01/07 11:50 PM

Just wanted to share an interesting experience today. I received a lovely letter from my only remaining aunt. She's in her late 80's now, still very agile, active and much beloved...we've been very close all of my life, but especially since my Mom died in 2001.

Near the end of her letter, she remembered that we would be remembering the anniversary of my Mom's death at this time. With a terrible lurch in my stomach, I started sobbing, thinking that in my grief for my brother (this weekend was the 6-month mark), I had completely forgotten about the anniversary of Mom's death. It was a horrible feeling, and I kept groaning "I'm so sorry Mom". Then, through the tears and panic, as clear as if she was right in the room with me, I heard her voice whisper in my ear, "Darling, the anniversary is on the 28th of OCTOBER, not September...you didn't forget."

So tender and loving, it took my breath away.
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: A Mother's Love Reaches Through Anything - 10/02/07 12:48 AM

Oh...Eagle...what a beautiful story! We are so quick to beat ourselves up...it's so nice to have a mother's love to patch us up again!

I have a feeling your mother is so pleased that you remember and honor her life...that even if you had forgotten the day she left you...she wouldn't have minded!

Surround yourself in that love today!!
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: A Mother's Love Reaches Through Anything - 10/02/07 09:11 AM

The first year i did not await the dreaded anniversary in grief I started to heal.It is a ritual I clung to.As if I by revisiting the week of death then funeral I was nearer to my lost one.
It was a necessary time and part of my relationship with my family and myself.
I embrace days with joy of living (but a part of me could remain sad..i work on it)
Mountain ash
Eagle...I just love you.
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: A Mother's Love Reaches Through Anything - 10/02/07 01:15 PM

One of the rituals we inadvertently started six years ago during those first few days after Mom died - and have clung to all these years - was that everytime we ate shrimp, we would "toast" her by holding up a shrimp on a fork and telling her how much we love and miss her. She loved shrimp, as did my brother Gary. So now whenever we eat shrimp, we toast both of them.

Silly ritual, but it brings laughter and loving memories.
Posted by: Casey

Re: A Mother's Love Reaches Through Anything - 10/02/07 03:32 PM

My mom died 33 years ago. For a long time I've given blood in her memory. We had such a short time together and she was so sick for the last 10 years of her life, that I really have to reach for memories. I always sense her being around me, though, even after all this time.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: A Mother's Love Reaches Through Anything - 10/02/07 08:29 PM

Casey, what a great way to show honor to her by giving blood. I've never heard of that before. I like it.

Eagle, Mom died March 17, 2001, same year as your mom.

Mom's birthday is this Friday. Mom's best friend died a couple years ago. Her daughter and I are best freinds since first grade. That is how our mothers met, through us. So on or near our mother's birthdays, we get together for lunch and share a few memories. It's fun. I like taking the time to remember Mom.