superstitions

Posted by: Dotsie

superstitions - 10/13/06 09:44 PM

I wasn't sure where to put this. I chose here since the forum hasn't been used for a couple weeks. I also thought superstitions usually have soemthing to do with loss, so why not?

Today is Friday the 13th. Are you superstitious? Let's share some of the superstitions we've learned through the years.

Break a mirror - seven years bad luck.

Black cat crosses your path - bad luck.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: superstitions - 10/13/06 09:53 PM

Are you superstitious? NO WAY! But I do say "bread and butter" if me and someone else go around a pole at the same time, on opposite sides. Doesn't everybody?

Oh and I touch a button and the ceiling if I'm riding in a car and hear an ambulance....

And of course I'll back up forty miles if necessary to keep from going over the path of a black cat in front of my car.

What?

Me? Superstitious? Get real! No way!

JJ
Posted by: Anno

Re: superstitions - 10/13/06 09:59 PM

I still don't stp on cracks when on sidewalks (my mom can't afford a broken back with all her other issues), but Friday the 13th is my lucky day!

Don't walk under a ladder. (Of course not, who wants a bucket of paint falling on a head?)
Posted by: Cookie

Re: superstitions - 10/13/06 10:10 PM

I'm not superstitious, but here are a few sayings I've heard over the years.

Don't walk under a ladder....brings bad luck.

Never open an umbrella in the house, it was said to be bad luck.

Keep your fingers crossed when you tell a fib, so you wouldn't get in trouble.

Re: superstitions - 10/13/06 10:13 PM

Oh that last one Cookie, it's a good idea to make sure you don't have sisters who will testify AGAINST you even when you have your fingers crossed. The snots....

JJ
Posted by: Wisdom&Life

Re: superstitions - 10/13/06 10:22 PM

Oh no, I grew up with all kinds of superstitions. Greeks are full of them, LOL.

Never sweep the house after your husband leaves.

Never allow others to see your baby in public, they will give the baby the evil eye.

Do not whistle in the house, it brings bad luck.

There's more, I just don't remember them, LOLOLOLOL!

Fortunately, I tried to bring some common sense into all that I heard, LOL.

However, with so much going wrong, I decided to leave my parent's yesterday instead of today, LOL. I just couldn't bring myself to travel on Friday the 13th.

Cheers,
Cathi
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: superstitions - 10/14/06 12:54 AM

Here are some real oldies:

BAD LUCK:
To milk a cow being sent to market...
To see an owl in sunlight...
Changing a horses name...

GOOD LUCK:
When a frog enters your home...
A spider spinning in the morning...
Carrying an acorn ensure long life...

GENERAL LUCK:
Itchy-nose means a quarrel is coming...
Tying a knot in a hanky wards off evil...

For more WILD SUPERSTITIONS go to:

http://www.oldsuperstitions.com

Re: superstitions - 10/14/06 01:28 AM

Don't forget an itchy palm means money is coming to you. And an itchy foot means you'll be traveling over new territory.

And an itchy nose also means someone is coming with a hole in their britches.

Hey, I don't make them up...I just recite them.

Mom use to play this game with us call My Nose Itches. It went like this:

My Nose itches
Somebody coming with a hole in their britches
The first one that speaks has to patch it.

This would keep all five of us quiet for a long, long time. We were very competitive. Mom was wise with five little girls at home.

JJ
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: superstitions - 10/14/06 01:30 AM

Chatty,

We always said an itchy nose meant company was coming.

Itchy palm means money is coming (I just can't remember which palm!)

I traveled to see my granddaughter today...definitely worth the risk, even after the black cat ran in front of my car 2 days ago...twice and then sat in my drive way when I was leaving yesterday!!

Re: superstitions - 10/14/06 01:42 AM

Jane and I met for lunch yesterday. Jane, was it BEFORE the cat or afterwards? eeeek! You didn't tell me that! Not that I'm superstitious or nutin....

JJ
Posted by: Wisdom&Life

Re: superstitions - 10/14/06 02:40 AM

Oh boy this is fun LOL!

Other Greek ones

-Don't cry when you are pregnant or your baby will be sick.

-Here is a good one, when getting married, during the ceremony at a certain point, the bride and groom try to step on each others foot. Whoever steps on the foot will be the dominant one in the marriage. This really happened, A groom actually left the ceremony because the bride stepped on his foot. It took some heavy pursuation from his bestman to get him inside and continue!

Cheers,
Cathi

Re: superstitions - 10/14/06 08:57 AM

Sounds like this black cat meant GOOD luck with the two of you meeting...how cool is that, and lucky!

Re: superstitions - 10/14/06 09:11 AM

I have to tell you ladies something...Today I made my final car payment and was thrilled after these many years. GOODLUCK!
Then went out to mail the check and a dash light came on and wouldn't go off. My neighbor said its the engine light, better have it checked.
BAD LUCK!
I called the dealer and he said, "no problem its covered either 60,000 miles of five years whatever comes first. I have only 5300 miles, won't be 5 years until next Sept. GOOD LUCK!
My ex called and said, "hey ain't nothin, it means the guy didn't tighten the gas cap last time you got gas and its messing up the ommission, mine does the same thing...So I went out and sure enough it wasn't tight. Now the light is off. GOOD LUCK!
Drove the car to the store, seemed fine and just as I was thanking the good Lord, across the highway was the biggest most beautiful double rainbow I have ever seen.
GOOD LUCK!
So as you can see I had good and bad luck all mixed up today....Guess it just happens that way sometimes.

Re: superstitions - 10/14/06 01:04 PM

JJ,

The cat came first!! And having lunch with you was good luck!

Da Queen is a sucker for a chicken salad...

Re: superstitions - 10/14/06 01:22 PM

I've never heard of some of these. The greek one about the wedding cracked me up. They should have included that in the movie, The Greek Wedding.

While driving past a cemetery, you must hold your breath, or you may be the next one there.

Who remembers what happens if you drive over railroad tracks and don't hold your breath?
Posted by: Lola

Re: superstitions - 10/14/06 06:35 PM

Gosh, my family is so burdened by superstitions, I'm surprised that anyone could move or even venture outside the house! I am the only one who choose to against family dicta except for one: I never sit 13 at the dinner table and when numbers can't be helped, I set a place for 14.

Re: superstitions - 10/14/06 07:50 PM

My mom said that an itchy nose meant you were going to be kissed!

Re: superstitions - 10/14/06 08:18 PM

Oh,I forgot, the fool part.

An itchy nose means you are going to be kissed by a fool. Maybe I should have been thinking about what was nose was feeling when I was dating.

Re: superstitions - 10/14/06 08:26 PM

Hold your feet up when you cross railroad tracks or you'll lose your boyfriend...

Re: superstitions - 10/15/06 01:35 AM

Don't let anybody sweep under your feet either, or you'll never marry.

I get my son to swipe several times back and forth under mine at least once a week. What?

JJ
Posted by: klmr13

Re: superstitions - 10/15/06 09:25 AM

Since we share our home with one black cat and one tuxedo black cat, there's no room for being superstitious about this color feline! Both of these sweeties adopted us - they were ferals. Our eldest cat, who is orange striped, was also adopted this way.

Anyway...no, I'm not really superstitious although I do my fair share of knocking wood and things like that. More for fun than anything else!

When I was about 10 I was going to a carnival and my Dad gave me some money to play on the wheels - he told me to play #13. Well, I won a doll and also a set of cute ceramic "ladies' head" decorative thimbles (which I still have, pack rat that I am!) , so from that time on I always thought of 13 as my lucky number. I usually play lottery tickets on Friday the 13th, but never got around to it this time.
Posted by: klmr13

Re: superstitions - 10/15/06 09:33 AM

My mother's version was that if your nose itched, it meant you were going to have argument! If you dropped money, you were going to get money (Money on the floor, money to the door). If you dropped a knife, a woman was going to come see you (Knife, a wife).

My Italian friends have a LOT of superstitions. You can't come in one door and go out another at someone's house - gotta use the same door. And if you sneeze while talking, they always say (THAT'S THE TRUTH!)...in other words, sneezing confirms what you're saying. HA!

Re: superstitions - 10/15/06 01:21 PM

Jane, tahnks. I couldn't remember the rest of that one.

JJ, you are a stitch.

klmr, if that isn't kicking superstitions to the curb, I don't know what is.

I am not the least bit superstitious. To me, it negates faith.

Re: superstitions - 10/15/06 02:20 PM

I agree Dots, and I think everybody says them just have fun. I know when my grandbeauty sneezes, I always say, "scat cat!" Just to see her giggle.

JJ
Posted by: Dee

Re: superstitions - 10/21/06 03:31 PM

My husband didn't know the "Bread & Butter" thing...until I did it. Then he started coming up with his own...his first was "Peanut Butter & Jelly", "Beans & Hamhocks", "Toast & Jelly"...now we looks for things to walk around to see what we're going to come out with.

Re: superstitions - 10/23/06 08:30 PM

I guess my only real superstition would fall under the category of "what you ask for". By that I mean when working outside the home some of the people I worked with wanted off and would say their Mother or Father or some other relative in another state had died. That way they could get extra days off with pay, no questions asked. I would NEVER do that, afraid it might cause it to come true....

Re: superstitions - 10/24/06 12:34 PM

chatty, that just has to do with being honest. I recall that stuff from when I worled outside the home too. I am so glad I don't ahve to think aobut those types of things any more.