Brittany Maynard's Death -- and the Right to Die

Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Brittany Maynard's Death -- and the Right to Die - 11/04/14 10:35 PM

Amidst all the political commercials and the space related crashes, back here in the real world, I'll be a lot of people are talking about Brittany Maynard's recent death -- and whether or not we all ought to have the right to die at a time of our choosing. (Assuming we are in a hospice situation, etc.)

Who has any thoughts about this? I have thoughts and opinions, but I'd like to hear from others first...

If you're not up on the story, here's a link to an article from CNN

By the way, I've heard that the Vatican has denounced her decision.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Brittany Maynard's Death -- and the Right to Die - 11/05/14 03:17 PM

I'm not sure what decision I will make when the time comes. Lung cancer always metastasizes to the brain - it's just a matter of when - and I'm not sure I would want to live with no control of my bodily functions, excruciating headaches, and violent seizures. Brittany made the decision that was best for her; and I will make the decision that's best for me when it's time to make it. I don't think any of us can say for sure what we would do in the same situation. I know I can't. Other people can condemn her or praise her - she did what was right for her with the support of her family, and that's all that matters.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Brittany Maynard's Death -- and the Right to Die - 11/06/14 08:08 PM

I agree that none of us can likely say what we would do in any specific situation that has to do with death.

But I think it is something we need to discuss with our families and significant others. Otherwise when the time comes that the docs ask us what our loved ones would want us to do on their behalf -- we don't know what to say.

I recall this happening when Steve's mother was dying. The docs asked what her children would want them to do if she had another heart attack -- considering that she was non-responsive and comatose -- and no one wanted to be the one to say "DNR." Because they felt that would be them signing her death warrant.

I certainly didn't think it was humane to try to shock her heart again if that were to happen. But I was not one of her children, and had only been married to Steve for a few months at that time. I didn't think the decision was mine to make.

So no one made the decision, she had another heart attack and we all knew what was happening when we heard the hospital PA system announce "Code Blue."

Posted by: jabber

Re: Brittany Maynard's Death -- and the Right to Die - 11/06/14 11:11 PM

So the Vatican denounced Brittany's death; the Vatican doesn't have terminal brain cancer. This is such a heartbreaking story.
To be 29 years old and have to make a decision like this is mind boggling. But her husband and family were sure great about supporting this young lady. IMHO you pray and do what has to be done, when it has to be done. I don't think anybody should sit in judgment of another person's decisions. Let's just celebrate life, while we're able to celebrate life!