Singing "Edelweiss"- before death

Posted by: orchid

Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/14/08 11:54 PM

My partner's mother died last night at the nursing home. She was 93.

She immigrated from Canada just after WWII. My partner, was 7 yrs. old when he immigrated at same time.

He found out from the nurses that before she went to bed last night, she and few other nursing home residents, happily sang "Edelweiss", the song from the "Sound of Music". Appropriate, because it is a song of memory (of Germany), longing, love and renewal in a new country since the von Trapp family immigrated to the U.S.

A few hrs. after we found out about the news of her death, we cycled over to a popular French bakery and each had lovely French fruit gourmet tart ..in her memory.

She was an accomplished baker and cook which everyone who knew her skills talks about. My partner's boyhood is of his mother's 1-3 multi-layered tortes or kuchens for every Sunday meals... Mocha ganache filling, hazelnut crumb, handmade marizpan, ..she could make puff pastry..from scratch. Not even many Iron Chefs can do this sort of thing. It's a lost art. Baking and cooking was her creative outlet and she was happiest creating in this way.

Ironically she was visited by her German relatives just last week in their trip to western Canada. In her mild dementia, she kept wanting to show her "home" and offer refreshments.

She died peacefully and was actually quite active and social the day before. Yesterday and today it has been beautifully sunny and summer-like.
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/15/08 12:16 AM

I'm sorry for your loss, Orchid. It does sound like the most peaceful way to go, though, doesn't it? Living to a ripe old age, having the ability to still be a little active and social to the end, and only mild dementia.

Sounds like you/your partner have some wonderful memories.

K
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/15/08 12:34 AM

I too am sorry for your loss, Orchid. Thank you for giving us a glimpse into the life of this multi-talented woman. God rest her soul.
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/15/08 01:50 AM

She sounds like a beautiful, heart-lifting woman, Orchid. I'm glad she richly blessed and graced your life and the world around her. My heart and prayers are with you as you and your partner journey through your loss.

Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/15/08 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Eagle Heart
She sounds like a beautiful, heart-lifting woman, Orchid. I'm glad she richly blessed and graced your life and the world around her. My heart and prayers are with you as you and your partner journey through your loss.

Heart-lifting is a very good word to describe her capacity of gentle giving..over and over. Right now, my dearie is checking on the strange results of German translation software used on his long letter for informing rest of relatives in Germany. Lots of manual editorial corrections right now...

She was an observing Catholic but didn't wear it much on her sleeve. She had a rosary which most interestingly her adult granddaughter really would like to have as a keepsake. But we think it got lost in the nursing home somehow a few months ago.

And Dancing Dolphin, yes her death is probably the most ideal and peaceful way to end.
Posted by: diamond50

Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/15/08 06:50 AM

Orchid, I am so sorry for your loss. Big Hugs!!!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/15/08 07:38 AM

Orchid, I am very sorry for the loss suffered by you and your companion. The lady mentioned sounds like a grand lady that lived a long and wonderful life. God bless you all...
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/15/08 07:40 AM

Sounds like a gentle passing..
Please accept my thoughts at this time.
Singing cannot be underestimated as a tool
for unity and joy..
Mountain ash
Posted by: Mama Red

Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/15/08 12:22 PM

Dear Orchid

I'm sending lots of hugs and prayers to you and your family. This sounds like a woman many of us could emulate and I soooooo appreciate you sharing the Light of her with this group. I find it amazing to hear of the gifts she shared with you, your companion and the world at large. We can't underestimate the joy she shared in her long life. I know you will miss her a lot and I *love* the tribute you gave her.
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/15/08 12:34 PM

Orchid, it's true that some people choose the time to let go of this life and pass on. She had so recently received the gift of visits from loved ones. It could be that after singing she fell asleep in a very deep peace. She sounds like a wonderful lady and you're blessed to have had her for so long. Bless you and yours.
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/15/08 07:38 PM

I've been to happy wakes. Those can be wonderful family reunions. But still when a mother dies, no matter how old she is, she leaves a child motherless. My condolences to you and your partner, Orchid.
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/16/08 02:15 AM

Edelwiss2.

I hear you on this topic . When both parents are gone you are no bodies kid anymore . I often think now what would Dad do or Mom say . Maybe I sound like Mom some days and it brings a smile to me . With no relatives to have anything to do with and at least their is husband and daughter that is the only family left .

Well that is all I have to say .

Take care all ,

Best,

Renee
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/16/08 02:45 AM

Orchid I'm sorry to hear about this loss to you and your partner. I have my grandmother's rosary beads. She's 102 and asked me earlier this year if I would like them. Very sentimental. Although I have not been Catholic since high school. Thanks for sharing a bit. PL
Posted by: humlan

Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/16/08 03:45 PM

Orchid..I am so sorry for your loss. And as some have written here..it was his mom. And that hurts deeply..even if her passing seems to have gone quite beautifully and peacefully!

Thank you for sharing..

Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/17/08 03:08 AM

Thanks for your all thoughts. She was a great lady to know and learn from.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/17/08 03:46 PM

orchid, it's refreshing to hear such lovely things about one who has passed so recently. It's hard losing the greatest generation. The baking and cooking skills of that generation are getting harder to come by these days becasue no one has times. Glad to hear your partner has such lovely memories. Do they have any of her recipes, or were they all in her head?

Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/17/08 07:26 PM

Several years ago when she was quite healthy and not living in a nursing home, his brother and my partner, searched in vain for her handwritten recipe book...in German language. They surmised that it got thrown out by accident in her multiple house moves over the last 10 years.

It is a shame because my partner's son has become a restaurant chef in the last few years. He is 28 yrs. and has been reviewed by local foodie publications. He, too wishes the cookbook wasn't accidentally discarded.

Thankfully he did learn from his Oma (grandmother) how to and can make dumpfnudel on his own...a sort of white bun...similar to a Chinese steamed white bun.

Jack and I secretly hopes he takes that recipe and transforms it for a restaurant menu..or some other German recipe.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/18/08 06:41 AM

Orchid, condolences on the loss of your partner's mother. It sounds like she had a rewarding life with many good memories.
Posted by: gims

Re: Singing "Edelweiss"- before death - 09/20/08 07:40 AM

Add my condolences, orchid.
93 years... wow