Quiet moments

Posted by: chickadee

Quiet moments - 06/20/05 07:15 AM

I found a bible at a yard sale about two months ago. When I opened it in the car, there was a very old newspaper clipping of the following poem. I forgot about it and found it yesterday when I was tidying up my car. I thought I'd share it with all of you.
I am thinking it might have been written by someone in Tulsa. I cannot find any info on the author's name. Enjoy.

Quiet moments

I cried this morning; how I cried:
And why I didn't seem to know;
So I just turned my face to God,
And soon my tears had ceased to flow.

Another new day He'd given to me,
To do His will instead of mine---
I felt so humble; Hope drowned despair,
And calm serenity made my eyes shine.

How can we let down for even an hour.
For some are less fortunate somewhere;
I'm only an instrument in God's hands,
I must show them how much I care!

Mildred Lee Klan

chick
Posted by: lionspaaw

Re: Quiet moments - 06/19/05 11:44 PM

Chick -

It would be interesting to find this lady or her family and let her know you have this. Any idea how old the poem is ??? Any hints of where she was when she wrote it other than possibly Tulsa ?

You have quite a mystery here !!
Posted by: Sherri

Re: Quiet moments - 06/19/05 11:58 PM

It would be fun to explore the poem's origin. I love finding old stuff. I have some of my grandfather's ledgers, letters and photos and I treasure them. Hope to use them someday in my writing.

Re: Quiet moments - 06/20/05 04:52 PM

I am on a new mission now ladies. I think I will see how far I can get. The clipping isold. It has a pic of two women on the back, advertising rain wear, it looks like. I'll keep you posted.

chick

[ June 20, 2005, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

Re: Quiet moments - 06/25/05 06:07 PM

Update:

Mildred Lee Klan

The "only" Klan listed in the Tulsa Genealogical Society obituary. Last name is maiden name. Mildred may have been the only Klan in Oklahoma. Maybe she was from another part of the country and moved here. She is listed under Tulsa obits.
No other Klan's are listed in the white pages for Oklahoma.

I need to find out when she died and who knew her?

Couldn't be a Penn name? Unusal last name,don't you think?

Anyone heard of it or know any Klan family members?

My journey continues...I will update as I find out more.

chick

[ June 25, 2005, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: chickadee ]
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Quiet moments - 07/09/05 07:39 AM

Chick, that's a beautiful poem. Thanks for sharing it. Best wishes in your quest.
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Quiet moments - 07/09/05 07:48 AM

Chick, I used to love what I called the "Sherlock Holmes" aspects of my former job. It was fun trying to figure out the mysteries to the point of resolution. It sounds like you have a good mystery on your hands. I'm intrigued and captivated and eager to hear the ongoing progress. If there's anything I can do to help, any tidbits I can research, let me know.