Last Sunday at Hollywood Farmers' Market was the annual food bash, where farmers make or donate a variety of foods for the crafters. (Yes, you have to have a ticket for the chow line, and they're not for sale. [Wink] ) This is the farmers' way of thanking us for participating in the market. The website http://www.farmernet.com/events/one-cfm?venue_id=587 lists 90 hundred farmers, 30 bakery or prepared foods and 30 crafters selling each week, but this time of year it's at least 50 crafters.

This is my thanks to the farmers, who wake up before the crack of dawn and travel up to 400 miles to be here. I think Hollywood is the largest market of this type in Southern California. I also sell at Irvine and Palos Verdes markets which are much smaller.

This is my thanks to the farmers, a dwindling breed who work hard to bring food to our tables. A special thanks to those who eschew chemical shortcuts and raise their crops organically.

This is also thanks to all the farmers who donate food at the end of the day for a local food bank and area shelters.

And yes, I thank them personally as well.