The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 145 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#152240 - 06/29/08 12:39 AM Vitamin D Deficiency
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Has anyone been hearing/reading about the recent studied done on vitamin D deficiencies?

There has been a lot about this in the news lately. They are finding a lot of it, especially in women, a lot of them in New England. My doctor tested me for it about a month ago after I complained about being sick so often lately. (He said the stress from my job was more than likely causing most of this, but tested me for Vitamin D deficiency.)

It turned out that my Vitamin D was low and he has me taking that now too. One more pill. But, since he told me of this, I have been hearing a lot in the news about recent studies. I guess there is something to this.

#152241 - 06/29/08 08:33 AM Re: Vitamin D Deficiency [Re: Louisa]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Oh yes, and vitamin B 12 needs to be suplemented too.

#152242 - 06/29/08 12:23 PM Re: Vitamin D Deficiency [Re: Edelweiss]
Louisa Offline

What does B12 do? I forget.

#152243 - 06/29/08 01:08 PM Re: Vitamin D Deficiency [Re: Louisa]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Vitamin B12 - It helps maintain healthy nerve cells and red blood cells and is also needed to make DNA, the genetic material in all cells. Vitamin B12 is bound to the protein in food. Hydrochloric acid in the stomach releases B12 from protein during digestion. Once released, B12 combines with a substance called intrinsic factor (IF) before it is absorbed into the bloodstream.

The human body stores several years' worth of vitamin B12, so nutritional deficiency of this vitamin is extremely rare. Elderly are the most at risk. However, deficiency can result from being unable to use vitamin B12. Inability to absorb vitamin B12 from the intestinal tract can be caused by a disease known as pernicious anemia. Additionally, strict vegetarians or vegans who are not taking in proper amounts of B12 are also prone to a deficiency state.

A day's supply of vitamin B12 can be obtained by eating 1 chicken breast plus 1 hard-boiled egg plus 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt, or 1 cup milk plus 1 cup raisin bran.

#152244 - 06/29/08 02:23 PM Re: Vitamin D Deficiency [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
We eat a very healthy, well-balanced diet. I have an egg almost every morning (as recommended by a nutritionist because apparently my body needs high protein first thing in the morning.) Yet I continue to have problems with low B12 levels.

When I began experiencing severe fatigue in 2002, blood tests showed elevated white blood count and "dangerously low" B12. We treated the B12 with supplements, (and never did figure out the WBC problem). I noticed the difference within days - and to this day, can tell when my B12 is too low. One of the things I HAVE to eat at least once a week to stave off the debilitating level of fatigue is red meat. While I can and do get B12 through other sources, my body seems to process it best when it comes from red meat.

Edited by Eagle Heart (06/29/08 02:45 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#152245 - 06/29/08 02:47 PM Re: Vitamin D Deficiency [Re: Eagle Heart]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Louisa,

Vitamin D is the 'sunshine' vitamin. The increase in deficiencies is being linked to sunscreen use...which is a good thing...we just need to supplement. Many calcium supplements include vitamin D and dairy products are usually Vitamin D fortified.

Weight loss surgery causes vitamin B12 deficiencies due to decreasing the size of the stomach, etc. You don't have to be anemic (low iron) to have a low B12...they have to check specifically for that.

#152246 - 06/29/08 04:11 PM Re: Vitamin D Deficiency [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Louisa Offline

I don't drink milk, never have. Any calcium I get is from cheese. I'm not a fish eater either. But, I work in an inner office with no window, so I don't even get light, never mind sunshine. I'm out on the patio a bit in the summer on weekends. Other than that, the most sunshine I get is two weeks in FL every year. Obviously not enough. I'm hoping that by taking the Vitamin D3 pills, it will boost my immune system. Of course, I'll have to stop working 50 hours a week, but that is going to happen by the end of this month.

#152248 - 06/29/08 08:11 PM Re: Vitamin D Deficiency [Re: Louisa]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
One of my favorite topics - diet and nutrition.
I'm currently reading sections of a book about macrobiotics - a complete guide to more than 200 chronic conditions and disorders (naturally).

The multi I take has a very high dose of B12 @ 1667%, but only 100% recommended for D. What dose are you taking, Louisa, and was the recommended dose based on your blood work? Or, are you just taking a supplement you picked up from a retail outlet?

#152249 - 06/30/08 12:36 AM Re: Vitamin D Deficiency [Re: gims]
Louisa Offline

Hi gims, My dosage was based on the bloodwork. It's not something I would have just gone and done. The job is going - soon. My replacement starts next Monday. I couldn't be happier. I will have to spend a few weeks training her (which is a lot more than I got), but then I will be back to my old job. There will be some twists to it that I'm sure I won't be happy with, but at least I'll be out of this one, (except for covering ) I will be back to a 40 hour week except once in a while if something comes up or I have to cover. I will be doing the happy dance when I'm back to 40 hours again.

#152251 - 07/01/08 01:09 AM Re: Vitamin D Deficiency [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Louisa, hopefully you'll be asking yourself how you did the OLD job. Do a good job trainging so they can leave you alone!

This Vitamin D deficiency is new to me. I'm going to Google it. Louisa, how great that your doctor was on the ball.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved