The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 142 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#186165 - 07/08/09 10:57 PM Taking care of yourself this summer!
HappyWednesday Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
It is important for all women to take care of themselves. Of course, eat well and exercise, but it is a MUST to take 10 minutes for yourself everyday no matter what.

It is especially important for "single again" moms to take care of themselves. That once shared to-do list does at times seem never ending.

This summer, what can you do for yourself to recharge your batteries or to keep your energy tank full? Just 10 minutes everyday!

Please share. It is amazing what we can learn from each other.

www.FreshStartAfterDivorce.com
jw@joanwinberg.com

#186173 - 07/09/09 12:09 AM Re: Taking care of yourself this summer! [Re: ]
HappyWednesday Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
If you can do 15 minutes or even more that is great! Some women are struggling with 10.

www.FreshStartAfterDivorce.com
jw@joanwinberg.com

#186181 - 07/09/09 01:55 AM Re: Taking care of yourself this summer! [Re: HappyWednesday]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Once every hour no matter how busy I am I get up and walk from the back office of my home all around to the living room and back three times, then drink a cup of ice cold water and then back to work.

But at night when settled in to watch TV, during every commercial I stand up and march in place. Or if you have room in your TV area, place a straight back chair and sit in it. Then when the commercials come on just stand up straight and sit, rise and sit, rise and sit, until its over and do it throughout the evening, Great exercise for strengthning your calves, butt and thighs...Easy too, little strain.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#186254 - 07/09/09 09:12 PM Re: Taking care of yourself this summer! [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
uh-oh, I take way more than 10 minutes because I'm walking, have a prayer time, and take an evening bath. But you know what? The rest of the day I hardly stop. I go from the time my feet hit the floor in the morning until I take my bath at night.

But you are so right. If we don't take care of ourselves, who will take care of us?

#186661 - 07/17/09 02:40 PM Re: Taking care of yourself this summer! [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks Anne.I'm trying.

#186764 - 07/18/09 10:31 PM Re: Taking care of yourself this summer! [Re: ]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Anne327
Only ten minutes? In today's hectic world, at least fifteen smile .

Sorry, I don't quite get it. If a woman no longer has young children (either hers or grandchildren), why would a person's personal schedule be so full or should it be so full that it's only 15 mins. of personal time?

Would a man say the same thing if he also had no children living in same home??

Depends where one puts priorities. Having a super organized and constantly clean home is not always a priority for us. I figure, no one is going to remember our personal achievement in terms of how clean our home is. That's not how we remember the best things about his mother, that's for sure and she was a good housewife. Even my partner, who is a neat freak, sleeps on the couch for an hr. in middle of afternoon. Goes for a bike ride. Is on computer. Spends at least half of the day on his biz or more.

Oh yea, we only do washing machine laundry every 2 weeks.
But we shower every day. smile

His children haven't lived with him for years.

I'm lost here... we're at a stage in life where we should have more personal time automatically built in our lives. cool

#186770 - 07/19/09 12:29 PM Re: Taking care of yourself this summer! [Re: orchid]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Quote:
we're at a stage in life where we should have more personal time automatically built in our lives. cool

The operative word there is should.

I work full time, have a disabled partner who requires help walking, eating, dressing, getting in and out of bed, showering, etc. In addition, my father recently died, and my mother, who has alzhiemers, is moving to the city where I live. This means finding a place, driving to pick her up (2 hours), show her the place (2 hours) driving her home (2 hours) and driving myself home again to be with my partner.Then it will be packing her up, selling tons of furniture, antiques, etc, moving her into assisted living and selling the house.

15 minutes??? I would love to have 15 minutes somedays.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#186775 - 07/19/09 01:06 PM Re: Taking care of yourself this summer! [Re: Anno]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I'm sorry Anno, I didn't mean to discount aging family care responsibilties.

Sad thing is that, you will get more time much later but not in the way you might want it.

As for the free personal time, we have at home, probably a reason why he and I have been so active on our bikes and travel in past few decades. No point in waiting until retirement to such things, to travel..because we are healthy now. I'm constantly reminded of this when I chug along on bike while he cycles ahead of me..I know it will not be like this forever.

He is 66 and I am 50.

#186814 - 07/19/09 09:55 PM Re: Taking care of yourself this summer! [Re: orchid]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Oh, no offense taken. It just bothers me that as I am getting older, my responsibilities seem to grow, rather than lessen. I have free time, too. I take it. I am good to myself.

I am responsible for taking care of myself as well as giving care to others. I work hard to keep my down time in the fore front.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#186819 - 07/20/09 08:43 AM Re: Taking care of yourself this summer! [Re: Anno]
Mountain Ash Offline

I have family responsibities since my husband has had a series of health issues....all worked hard at to overcome.
Life can change in a second...and may never go back to what it was.
Its then a type of grieving can occur.Being aware that any change could be soul destroying.
Unlike loosing a parent...I did..then loved Grandparents who were my primary carers...when grief was overwhelming.
We lost a baby..went on to have a son who joined a sister..all grief.
I have had loss of health..cope with these changes...
Loss of career...
BUT
when you have glimpsed into the next room of life..sat beside hospital beds..crept in to see if your husband is still alive and swooned that indeed he is it is easy so very easy to put yourself second.
In the past year sometimes it was 11.00am until I combed my hair..
I alway saw to medical needs first..prepared food.Really got caught up in a domestic swirling dervish.
Its not just aging people...my friend cared for her husband for 11 years...indeed at his death even lost her memory for an afternoon.We tended to her..she is rebuilding.
Women who are Boomers may have these responsibilites.

I took time in church each Sunday to ground myself...wrote each day when I had time..soon a book will finished.

But I admit to taking second or even third place in priorities.
I admire Ann who works..it gives her balance..my dear friend who was a tad older and wiser than me who is now no long here had a husband with dementia..she said " I did not invite dementia into my home.."
its been being sensitive to those around me that I have learned what is important..But time can be eaten up when someone dear and near needs care.
I am sharing this because unless you have seen something or been told then it may be hard to imagine anothers life..not in any way to elicit sympathy..
Sympathy shouts..Empathy whispers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved