We've all had moments where we have to redefine our lives - marriage, childbirth, death of a loved one, getting fired, and on and on.

But for some Baby Boomer women, redefinition could mean the difference between older years of relative security, comfort or homelessness.

No, I do not believe I am exaggerating. Recent news articles and highlights from different parts of the country are pointing out that the growth of homelessness among Baby Boomers is growing more rapidly than any other age group. In cities like Miami and Dallas, their respective housing authorities are looking at this situation as a growing trend. And unfortunately, it appears no one has a solution.

Many Baby Boomers are fine, when it comes to looking at the personal and financial situations when considering retirement and senior years. But a great many are not.

The economy as we knew it while we were riding high in careers, just doesn't exist any more and shows no signs of returning. A shift is occurring that is affecting every generation, but for Baby Boomer women, it is particularly serious.

If demographics remain the same in many areas over the next several decades, we would be looking at a continuation in the growing divorce rate among seniors (which usually leaves the woman in a much worse financial condition), an earlier death of men, leaving many women widowed often before they expect it, a continued downsizing by companies, and the ongoing question of whether or not the housing market will recover.

Even Baby Boomers who diligently saved have lost a substantial portion of their investments in the economic downturn, and for those who are living the live close to the edge - paycheck to paycheck, the prospects are gloomier.

Readings these news articles broke my heart. I knew it was bad out there - but not to the extent it was portrayed.

But HOPE is not lost. We Baby Boomer Women are a resilient generation. We have had tough careers, raised children (sometimes on our own), care for aging parents and have dealt with tragedy and health problems along the way. We are survivors.

There are many changes a Baby Boomer Woman who is not financially set for the next 30 years can make. Families are moving back together to cut expenses, an interesting revision of the "communes" of the hippie years are reemerging where people of like age and interests are choosing to live in a neighborhood or complex with an agreement to help each other out. Where one might be talented in carpentry another might be talented in bookkeeping or tight budgeting.

Inc. Magazine's entire August, 2010 issue was dedicated to the Age of the Entrepreneur. Noting that the old economy was unlikely to be recussitated any time soon, it spoke of the regrowth of cottage industries, people switching careers to become their own boss, opening home-based business (whether or not using the Internet), as a way out of the quagmire facing an individual's personal financial situation. A hobby may just turn out to be a thriving business!

Women have long been entrepreneurs - simply running a home is one of the highest levels of entrepreneurship. Perhaps, for some, starting a home-business full time or part time if still employed might provide the cushion needed in the event of any economic trauma that strikes the Baby Boomer woman or her family.

Of the approximately 170,000 home business begun each year, the great majority of them are begun by people ages 55 to 64. And most of them are women. Something is trending here, worthy of keeping an eye on.

I had to reinvent my life many times for some of the reasons I spoke of above, including deaths, relocations, divorce, single-parenthood - but somehow with youth and the climate of the times, it was easier to navigate.

Several years ago, however, I got hit with a life changing event that I couldn't handle with sheer force of will. My body would no longer allow it - period.

Children grown, on my own and dependent upon myself for survival, I had to find a way out despite my limitations. I had been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and as a result could no longer practice law or work any job outside the home, mainly because of the overwhelming and unpredictable fatigue that sometimes comes with the disease and forces the person to sleep - right then and there. That doesn't go over so well in the scheduled work world.

Fortunately, I had been involved (as a fascinating hobby at first) with Internet marketing for quite a few years, and having run my own law practices I had the entrepreneurial gene in me.

I took to it like a fish to water. The Internet didn't care what time I worked or when I had a bad day. Choosing my own hours allowed me to remain in the game, connected and productive. Surprisingly, I am much happier doing this and view my diagnosis of MS as a blessing.

I am not suggesting that every cautious or even desperate Boomer woman race to the Internet in search of riches. It is a rat's nest out there and you have to learn who to trust and who to run like you know what from. I am not even suggesting it is the only answer, but it is one that has worked for me.

What I am saying is we have to make sure we do not stick our heads in the sand and expect all will be well if our situations don't indicate that. Failure to plan is planning to fail.

My hope is that there will be a rebirth in the financial and personal lives of all Boomers, and that the recent reports of increasing homelessness among the Baby Boomer generation will fade away because we have done what we always have done - we fought back.

And even so, my motto remains, "These STILL are the good old days."

http://MaryAnneNagy.com

http://BoomersIncorporated.com.com