The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#218606 - 02/17/13 08:13 AM Looking out for each other in shared housing
zoe_morrison Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I've lived in shared housing for the past 4 years. I was 53 when I left my former husband. It was scary knowing my self-employed income REALLY wouldn't allow me to live on my own. AND I didn't have any savings as a 'cushion'. So I lived in shared housing.

In the beginning, it was really different to be living with people who weren't family. I enjoyed the folks I lived with but it it was really challenging for my psyche. Mostly it was my own dissatisfaction of not having my OWN place. As an adult I've been a homeowner since I was in my early 20's.

I lived in shared housing except for a short sabbatical when I took my own studio apartment this past summer I've shared housing. Just needing a break to figure out my next steps, I found an inexpensive studio apartment this past summer. A bit off the beaten path but cute.

When winter came the combination of cadet wall heaters, living on the ground floor in an uninsulated apartment AND arriving home late nights to a COLD house really made me rethink things.

I spent a lot of time AWAY from 'home' the during the fall and winter just trying to stay warm. I realized I worked so much that having a place of my own really wasn't cost effective. The location seemed FAR even if it was inexpensive. AND I was basically just coming home to sleep or spend a few hours during the weekend getting my bearings.

At Christmas time, I found myself looking at a couple of other 'challenges' and decided to tally everything up:

[list]
[*]Hardly Ever Home
[*]Too Cold [*]Traveling a LOT to make the rounds for work [*]Inexpensive didn't equal Quality [*]My lifestyle had definitely changed in the past 4 years

Living alone wasn't adding up. So I dusted off my living alone strategy and looked at my options. About a month ago I downsized my things yet again and moved to a home that fits my needs and my lifestyle.

Being somewhere warm, being able to spend more time 'at home' because I'm not on the road ALL the time either travelling or avoiding a cold house. And this week, after a bout with the flu, I realized another benefit.

Not hearing me leave for work in the morning as I always do on Monday, I could hear my housemates tiptoeing around my door. Light knocking. Checking in amidst my feverishness. Cold water and ibuprofen was fetched. Pacing. Hushed voices. Even as terrible as I felt there was a wash of grateful. Which I expressed when I roused.

I was coddled and nested. Protected. Looked after. Nice!

My tallying and choices added up to something much more! I'm enjoying a little looking after if just a light knock or 'sweet dreams' being called out to me at the end of the day. I'm glad I made a little room in my life for MORE.

Here's a link to a quick read about other folks who are thinking shared housing might just be a good idea. http://www.letssharehousing.com/content/there-always-room

Lets Share Housing
Personal Assistant & Shared Housing Advocate
503-719-5444 PST

#218607 - 02/17/13 09:05 AM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: zoe_morrison]
Mountain Ash Offline

Such a well thought out and informative post..thank you

#218609 - 02/17/13 05:33 PM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: Mountain Ash]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Glad you found a solution, zoe. My natural reaction, is to share housing with....a sister or 2. Depending how life pans out. But then, they might not want that. We all own our own homes and some have children.

However I have not ruled out options way down the road.

#218612 - 02/17/13 06:11 PM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: orchid]
zoe_morrison Offline

Orchid, I agree..I actually considered sharing housing with my eldest daughter since I don't have any sisters. Many of the folks I meet through http://letssharehousing.com don't have the option of siblings or other family members nearby. Some folks live in bigger homes where they have raised their own family which is now an empty nest that could take on a different spin with shared housing.

Yep, Sisters could be a good idea depending on the family dynamic or geography. A woman I know recently DID move in with her sister. Sometimes there aren't those types of solutions for sharing housing, so one needs to dig a little deeper.

Finding a solution that works for our unique situations takes some thought when the time comes to make a change!

Thanks for commenting!

Lets Share Housing
503-719-5444 PST

#218613 - 02/17/13 06:13 PM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: Mountain Ash]
zoe_morrison Offline

Thanks for taking the time to read it, Mountain Ash! Glad you enjoyed!

Lets Share Housing
503-719-5444 PST

#218614 - 02/17/13 10:16 PM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: zoe_morrison]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Shared housing is a good option for a lot of people, I agree. when my mother, who lives half way across the country from me, in Arizona, lived in a single family home, she was a bit lonely, I believe, even though she was busy with church activities and several clubs she belonged to.

She had always told me that if something happened to her husband, and she was alone, she wanted to come back to the Midwest and live with me.

But things have changed for her, now that the two of them live in an apartment in an aging in place community. I don't think she would move if something happened to Russ.

Her life is much fuller now, with friends who are available just down the hall, at the pool and in the arts and crafts room. Plus, she says it would be too hard for her body to readjust to our cold Midwest winters.

She's not in co-housing of course, which is what you are advocating, Zoe, but the end result is similar. And I am sure co-housing would be much more affordable for most of us. It is mind-boggling how much money a person needs to have saved in order to afford a home in a nice aging in place community.

This is certainly something I would consider were I alone in the future.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#218615 - 02/17/13 11:17 PM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: Anne Holmes]
zoe_morrison Offline

Hi Anne,
Sounds likes you Mom has found a good fit for herself for aging in place. Great idea when life slows and there is enough income to be able to live in a community that offers a LOT of amenities.You are right as far as the costs go for aging in place communities. Spendy. If one can afford this choice it can be a great one! I am sure you are a lot less concerned about your Mom's golden years now she is in a supportive community.

Me, I'm into shared housing Anne, which is DIFFERENT in many regards from CO-HOUSING. Co-housing requires an upfront cost in order to live in such a community and often is a built from the ground up endeavor: http://www.cohousing.org/six_characteristics

SHARED Housing is what I am talking about..where folks who have a space to share offer to open their home to housemates. This option uses EXISTING homes, reducing the need to build more and more housing. I like that part of shared housing among other reasons.

Same TYPE of scenario on SOME levels, but the upfront cost of CO-HOUSING can be prohibitive for some.

As in my situation I left my marriage with zero money in my pocket and living from my own self employment means literally week to week. Shared housing was really the only option that didn't require a large upfront investment for me.

It's had its challenges, finding a good match for my needs and lifestyle but I'm feeling pretty pleased that the investment of my time, research and energy has paid off. I too have a much wider community of support from being immersed in the process.

I think we all need to look widely at what wonderful ideas are out there for us and not close the door on any options, to be sure.

Thanks Anne for adding your thoughts and sharing the differences in the variety of options that are out there to put a roof over our heads!

Lets Share Housing
503-719-5444 PST

#218616 - 02/18/13 04:14 AM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: zoe_morrison]
Boomer in Chief

Good points, Zoe. I had thought co-housing encompassed shared housing, so you have educated me there.

By the way, my mother had a time when she lived in a shared housing situation after she was divorced from my father and then lost all the money she'd taken from the marriage in a failed business venture.

It was a hugely tough time for her, as you not doubt can imagine, and when she lost everything including her house and car to the bankruptcy that followed the failed business venture, I am certainly glad she was able to pick herself back up via finding a job and a friend who was willing to share her house with her.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#218632 - 02/18/13 11:51 PM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: Anne Holmes]
zoe_morrison Offline

It's funny how resilient we can be if we want or need to be Anne. Your Mom sounds like she had an interesting life and was able to keep moving forward! Yep, I can RELATE~

When you walked beside your Mom in her shared housing journey, both of you experienced the advantages..and maybe, some disadvantages too! Shared housing sounds like for the exact moment in time, made real and perfect sense for your Mom.

I'll keep folks in the loop about my own journey into shared housing via this forum, adding my voice and ideas. Thanks for letting the group know there are options when things are looking their lowest. We stay resilient!

Take care,
Zoe

http://adventuresinsharedhousing.blogspot.com/2013/02/kugel-savory-sweet-i-want-mine-warm.html

Lets Share Housing
503-719-5444 PST

#218633 - 02/19/13 05:07 AM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: zoe_morrison]
Boomer in Chief

Interesting points, Zoe.

I hadn't thought of myself as being involved in my mother's shared housing experience -- after all, I didn't live there with her: I was married, had two kids and lived in another state when this happened. But, I did visit her during this time, so I was in the house and met her housemate. Mostly though, during this time, we'd talk by phone, or she'd come visit me.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved