The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 115 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#81291 - 01/25/06 08:56 AM preparing for...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I have beeen preparing for my empty nest for several years. I T H I N K it will be empty in late August unless one of my two seniors decides to stick close to home.

Launching this site and NABBW has become my second passion. My first is my family.

I'm prayerful these outlets will allow my nest to feel less empty when it's silent in this household. Something it hasn't been in over 20 years!

#81292 - 01/24/06 10:18 PM Re: preparing for...
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
Dotsie,

It sounds like you have more than enough to keep you busy once your nest is empty. I really think that's the key to adjusting. I was working full time teaching when my son left for college, and it was nice to come home to a quiet house. I missed him and his sister a lot, but it was time to move on to another phase of my life. Letting go is the hardest thing I mother can do.

#81293 - 01/25/06 03:02 AM Re: preparing for...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have found it to be the case of "once a mother, always a mother!" My son and my dear DIL had an argument a couple nights ago and my son showed up on my doorstep saying, "can I borrow the sofa tonight?" We talked for hours and the next morning we had breakfast together and it felt good but he had to go home and face the music later that day. All is well with them...He said, "I'm staying here tonight because I don't want her to accuse me or think I was out fooling around." He was angry but not stupid. I agree with susieq, it isn't easy but is liberating.

#81294 - 01/25/06 12:24 PM Re: preparing for...
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Dotsie, I think you will do fine since you have alot of interesting things to keep you busy. I agree with Chatty about "once a mother, always a mother."
They may be gone physically, and never gone from our hearts and minds; we just go on to "mother" a little differently. It will all work out : )

#81295 - 01/25/06 09:04 PM Re: preparing for...
NHJackie Offline

I agree. Once a mother, always a mother. I'm still the first one my kids turn to when they have problems they need to air, and I wouldn't have it any other way. They may be out of my house, but they'll never be out of my heart.

#81296 - 01/25/06 11:55 PM Re: preparing for...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I keep hearing stories about how the nest empties, but often fills back up again.

One step at a time...

#81297 - 01/26/06 12:51 AM Re: preparing for...
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Dotsie,
I know how the kids fill them back up the empty nest. The bring there dogs by you house to babysit four days a week . That is what my daughter did , but of course I don't mind after all I lost my yorkie last year and it has been healing to have her here .

Sometimes they bring the grandkids for you to babysit . I like the yorkie the best . Ha!

#81298 - 01/26/06 01:05 AM Re: preparing for...
NHJackie Offline

A friend of mine wrote a hilarious piece about the pets her children left behind. I wish I still had a copy. Next time I see her, I'll get one if she still has it and post it here.

We solved the problem of the kids coming back to the nest by moving out of the townhouse we lived in to a 2 bedroom apartment. Then we made one bedroom into a den and gave away their bedroom furniture.

Just kidding. Laura was settled in NY, Ed was planning on heading West and my husband's prognosis was still iffy. So we opted for a smaller place that I could stay in by myself if I had to. We love it when the kids come to visit, but after a while it gets crowded. And they get tired of sleeping on our fouton or the living room sofa.

#81299 - 01/26/06 11:57 AM Re: preparing for...
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
my nest has been empty several times but the youngest keeps moving back! i love having him home even though my downstairs is piled with the debris of his moving in and out of several apartments.

i don't really worry about empty nest anyway, because my oldest, with his wife and daughter live less than 2 miles away and the younger son plans to stay close by when he does move out again. as it looks now, they will both be working the farm with us and adding a couple of trucks to the mix for added income.

oldest son never wanted to travel with me but younger son has been to Wash. DC, the west coast and to Finland with me so i am satisfied that his wish to stay near home is a decision made with full knowledge of the fact that the world is big and wide with lots of options and he still wants to be in small town usa.

#81300 - 01/27/06 10:28 PM Re: preparing for...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

flipper, you are blessed.

What type of farming do you do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved