The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#192565 - 10/25/09 10:14 PM No empty nest here
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
It's so funny because I really planned for the empty nest. It's one of the reasons I launched this site and then www.nabbw.com. I thought my nest was going to be empty.

But no more. My daughter's been here for months now. She works part-time and is going to school part-time. She also sees her boyfriend so they are always in and out. I rather like it. We (Ross and I) make sure we have time alone and since she has a lot going on it's so doable.

The other night, just the three of us had dinner at Bahama Breeze. It's was so much fun. Usually her boyfreind is with her, which is fine, but it was nice to have her to ourselves. We laughed a lot.

I'm enjoying having adult children. How about you?

What do you do with your adult kids?

#192703 - 10/27/09 08:35 PM Re: No empty nest here [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My sons and I went out to eat alot when I moved back here from D.C., in 1990. We went boating and fishing on Lake mead. (I love fishing) and my eldest son David and I frequented some dance clubs where he'd introduce me as his Cougar girlfriend!!! Ah, the good old days...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#192743 - 10/28/09 08:15 AM Re: No empty nest here [Re: chatty lady]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Yep. Is'nt it great when the nest gets feathered once again? My son and DIL live next door so I get to spend a lot of time with him when DIL is on nights, and with her, when he is on nights. Each come for a sleep over on those occasions. The usual result of a late film on DVD or TV. Those are the only occasions I get to spend time with my son on my own. He's married. He should spend time with his wife and not with me. I spend time with both of them and only singly as above. We go to Church, shop, dine out, see a show, take walks together...and laugh...a lot. Also, they cook, I eat.

I encourage my children to spend more time with each other than with me because then, I'd know they'd be fine and lean on each other when I am gone. I'm happy to babysit while they swan off clubbing.

#193061 - 11/02/09 07:19 PM Re: No empty nest here [Re: Lola]
BlessedOne Offline

Loc: CA
I love the empty nest.....but, I guess I have it good, because my daughter and her husband bring my grandson over alot or I babysit...Also my son and I have a good relationship, though not as involved. We see each other every week or two. I like them having independent lives. That way their Father and I can rediscover ourselves as a couple..

#193313 - 11/05/09 01:52 PM Re: No empty nest here [Re: BlessedOne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
BlessedOne, welcome. I love your attitude already. You are blessed to have your children in town.

#193712 - 11/11/09 12:20 AM Re: No empty nest here [Re: Dotsie]
Momof4js Offline

Loc: Southern California
Hi, I'm mom to four...a daughter, and three sons. I'm not an empty nester yet, but given the ages of my kids you'd think I probably am or would be soon. However, I think I'm still several years away from it.The kids range in age between 21 and 30. So here are the the stats: My daughter and her husband have moved in to save for a down payment on a home, my first born son is the only one out of the house. He actually lives in Japan. My second son is finishing college... he took three years off to tour with a band, and the baby went away to college, graduated and is now back home again-unable to find a job in his field.

Enjoyment?

I actually do not mind having young adults home. I enjoy it. It's been fun most of the time; however, when they argue it's on a much larger scale than when they were all little! The square footage of the house has shrunk and private space is minimal. But, I think it's good and I'm grateful we have a roof over our head to share and help out our young adults to launch into adulthood.

What do we/ I do with our adult kids?

We have made it a tradition since the beginning of summer to have a bbq with the family and eat outside every Sunday evening. It's a lot of work; however, under the twilight of the stars it's created an atmosphere whereby some great conversations that are little more meaningful have taken place. I think it'll go a long ways to making some decent memories. Outside of Sunday evenings, we occassionally go out for Mexican food - which we all love and will see a movie together. My middle son, has in the past read some of the books I pick up and read, as a result we engage in some interesting conversations over the books.

Momof4js

#193713 - 11/11/09 12:42 AM Re: No empty nest here [Re: Momof4js]
Lola Offline

LOL! I referred to you earlier as "Momo" and it's only now that it registered as "Mom of 4 js". LOL! Glad you found this thread.

Do your children still occupy the same rooms they did before the periods outside of the family home? My daughter still has her room and the grandchildren use their uncle's room when they're visiting...only as repository for their suitcases as they insist in sleeping in my room.

#193776 - 11/12/09 04:51 AM Re: No empty nest here [Re: Lola]
Momof4js Offline

Hi Lola,

I laughed too when I noted you referred to me as "Momo"- I had to stop and take a second look at my username. Anyway, I can see how you thought that!

The boys have returned to their original bedrooms from their youth (except, of course, the one that's in Japan) and my daughter is living with her husband in a backhouse on our property (my mom lived there until she died). The youngest boy still uses his bedroom; however, he's grown too large for his twin bed so now he sleeps at night in his sister's old bedroom in her full size bed. It's a funny sight to see a 6'4" 215 lb man sleeping under a floral and frilly bedding!

How sweet the grandkids sleep in your room. You are so blessed. Hopefully someday I'll have grandchildren.

Thank you to all for welcoming me. I hope to make some friendships...

Momof4js

(that's mom to Jill, Justin, Jason, Jordan - hence, the "4" J's)

#193778 - 11/12/09 07:57 AM Re: No empty nest here [Re: Momof4js]
Lola Offline

Oh, that's so cute that they're all J's. My Dad was one of ten children and his parents decided to name them alphabetically. The youngest uncle ended up with the J - Jacob.

Is your daughter's room in pink? My daughter is still very much a pink girl and also still have posters of her "boy bands" up. Your son and floral bedding is very much the same sight with my SIL when they come to visit. SIL is also a big man at 18 stones (which translates to 264 lbs.)!

I like how your children are still at home. Except of course for the one in Japan. grin Do you go to visit?

My daughter stayed home until she got married. My son stayed home until he was able to save for a property, which he is renting out now because he and his wife moved in next door after the wedding. I had my home refurbished into a two-family home as part and parcel of my estate planning.

#193830 - 11/13/09 03:07 AM Re: No empty nest here [Re: Lola]
Momof4js Offline

Hi Lola,

Your dad is one of 10! Jeepers... and to name them alphabetically - how clever! Can you imagine 10 children. That would be a busy life!

No, Jill's room isn't pink - but when she was in college (or was it high school?!) she handpainted a vine with flowers on the wall near the ceiling. Her quilt, which is floral and like the vine is on the double bed that he sleeps in. Of course, her feminine dainty furniture is still there, too. It's just so strange to see her baby brother (hahahaha...) there every morning!

I've never heard of measuring weight by stones... how interesting. Where did you learn that?

No, I haven't gone to Japan to see Justin yet. He typically flies here to see the family once a year and we also Skype. My husband, daughter and her hubby went there though two springs ago. I had just started a new teaching position and I couldn't really leave. The good news is he is coming home for Thanksgiving. I can hardly wait. Have you ever been to Japan?

That's so neat that your son and his wife now live next door to you. I would love it if all my kids stayed nearby when they are married. How do you split/ refurbish your home into two homes? That sounds really neat. How thoughtful of you to consider such an option for your children.

Good talking to you.
Take care.
Momof4js

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved