The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 164 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#90458 - 10/01/06 07:25 PM Quiet weekend
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is only our second weekend without the kids at home and I've got to tell you...it's weird.Typically, the kids are coming in and out, I'd have to pick up my daughter from work, drop her here, or there, make dinner, answer phones, do laundry, wake someone up, step over flip-flops, move car keys and wallets off the counter, etc.

This weekend, the only thing I've done that involved them was speak with them on the phone and give approval for one of them to use our credit card over the computer. Go figure!

#90459 - 10/01/06 08:10 PM Re: Quiet weekend
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
You have given them wings to fly... enjoy the quiet!

#90460 - 10/01/06 10:27 PM Re: Quiet weekend [Re: 49erDonna]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Rest, relax and heal thyself. Soon the holidays will be upon us and you may long for the quiet and tideness you now enjoy. LOL!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#90461 - 10/01/06 10:32 PM Re: Quiet weekend [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

You're right chatty, they''ll be home for the holidays. Oh boy!

#90462 - 10/01/06 11:28 PM Re: Quiet weekend
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
It wasn't so long ago that I was complaining about "too quiet" weekends. Hrmph. Wonder how long it will be before I ever make THAT complaint again! Now they're a blur - Sundays alone are seemingly endless - fun and delightful, but long nevertheless. We leave for church at 8:30am, then take our 5-year-old granddaughter out for our weekly lunch/play date, and then stop off at my brother's on the way home to cook him enough supper to make two plates of leftovers for Monday and Tuesday nights, usually getting home around 7:00pm. Then I'm home for two days catching up on stuff here at home before heading back over to my brother's place from Wednesday to Saturday.

But the truth is that as hectic as they are, these days are much preferable to the very slow lonely quiet ones that used to drag on too long.

Still, I'm not ready for the Christmas blur quite yet...

(Maya Angelou)

#90463 - 10/02/06 12:32 PM Re: Quiet weekend [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, how is all the caregiving going? Have you remembered to do something for yourself lately? I recently read an article about caregiving that mentioned the best thing a caregiver can do for themsleves is to exercise. Are you getting to walk at all?

#90464 - 10/02/06 03:37 PM Re: Quiet weekend
dejavu Offline
journeyman

My youngest daughter, a freshman, just called in tears. She not only has a bad cold, but her roommate wants to move out. (I think, because the roommate has been involved with a heavy drinking crowd and my daughter doesn't drink.) College isn't turning out like my daughter thought, she's homesick and blue.

I gave her a sympathetic ear and finally suggested two courses of action - seeing someone at the Health Center, and then talking to her dorm's RA (resident advisor) regarding the roommate situation (without mentioning the drinking). My daughter HAS made some friends there but I think she's more upset about possibly losing an old friend (the roommate was a high school buddy).

I'm still needed as a mom(!) but I feel bad for her unhappiness.

#90465 - 10/02/06 05:48 PM Re: Quiet weekend [Re: dejavu]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Dotsie,
The caregiving thing is still a "work in progress". I'm still trying to find my pace and rhythm. I'm discovering two things: the first is that I really love my brother and thoroughly enjoy hanging out with him, taking care of him and spending that time talking with him. It's an immeasurable joy to be able to be there with/for him. Although I've always known how dear and beloved he is to me, it still surprises me just how much I enjoy being with him, even through the difficult days right after chemo...so much so that I see this time and chance to help my brother as a wonderful, tender gift from a God who knew I needed my brother as much as he needs me right now.

The second thing that I'm discovering is that what I miss the most is my "downtime". I do a fair bit of walking to the grocery store to get groceries, and manage to fit some practical exercise into my daily chores and routines, but what I find hardest to fit into the day is downtime, time to play on the computer, time to come here and relax with my Boomer sisters, time to read (still trying to find time to read a book that Chatty sent me a couple of weeks ago!) - I crave just a nice little stretch of time to do nothing except what I want to do, but am finding it impossible to carve even just an hour out of the busy days. I'm sure that as time goes on and we learn more about what to expect from these chemo treatments, I'll be able to block off more time for myself.

In the meantime, I find whatever spare moments I can and run with them, even it means just posting one message a day!!! I've closing in on 2000 posts, but at this rate, I might not make that 2000th one until 2007!

Edited by Eagle Heart (10/02/06 05:51 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#90466 - 10/02/06 07:25 PM Re: Quiet weekend [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Bless your heart Sharon, he is so fortunate to have you there caring for his needs. We are happy for whatever time you can give to us. HUGS

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#90467 - 10/02/06 07:55 PM Re: Quiet weekend [Re: chatty lady]
Pam R. Offline

Dotsie, The hardest part of my life during the past 7 years is the Empty Nest. Even though I am so busy at work and with caring for my Mom, I miss my girls laughter and fighting so very much. Sure, we talk on the phone all the time but they have their careers and new lives that are so full. I am happy for that, but I sure miss the good old days.

Eagle, you are a gem. You are helping your brother and helping yourself at the same time by enjoying all the wonderful moments the two of you are sharing. I will keep you both in my prayers.

Dejavu, I remember when both my girls were in college and had roommate issues. It is very hard to come to terms with that. The RA can help but sometimes, depending on how serious it can be, a parent may have to step in. Just be sure that your daughter doesn't allow drinking in the room or she will be as guilty should their be an inspection. I have seen that happen. College is such a great experience for the most part, but there are times it can cause such heartache as well. My oldest daughter flew by in the 4 years and my youngest came home after the 1st semester and finished in 4 1/2. She told us she needed "rules and regulations" in her life! We told her she was coming to the right place!! It works for some and not for others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved