The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#214652 - 09/10/11 12:21 AM Strange clothing...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Has anyone noticed the commercials in magazines and on TV? The odd colored/fabric style clothes that look like Indian blankets or something similar in design. Really awful!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#214657 - 09/10/11 11:10 PM Re: Strange clothing... [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
The new style looks a bit "bag lady ish" to me. It's out in the
ozone layer somewhere, IMHO!

#214661 - 09/11/11 12:11 AM Re: Strange clothing... [Re: jabber]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I haven't really noticed as I've been out in the ozone somewhere myself lately! LOL
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#214667 - 09/11/11 04:02 PM Re: Strange clothing... [Re: yonuh]
jabber Offline

Methinks, lots of us hang out in the ozone layer! LOL....

#214670 - 09/12/11 08:48 PM Re: Strange clothing... [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Where can I see some of these strange clothes? I'm not sure I've been aware of them.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#214673 - 09/13/11 09:07 PM Re: Strange clothing... [Re: Anne Holmes]
Boomer in Chief

I was just leafing through a Kohl's mini-catalog that came bundled in today's newspaper. The clothes on the front and first couple of pages were featuring their new line from Jennifer Lopez. They were all very classic, sort of 50's retro sleek. And in solid colors.

So I am still missing out on the strange clothes. Which is sad, since I studied clothing design in college, and love seeing the latest styles. "Boho chic" has usually been a look I've liked. Wanting to see if this stuff you are discussing falls into that category.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#214675 - 09/13/11 11:30 PM Re: Strange clothing... [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Anne, When I C more of it, I'll let you know. I can't remember where I saw the stuff, but the leg warmers were striped and I think some sort of wool. They had layers of items on, which I like that layered look. The ad I saw was, as I said, "bag lady ish" but this is just in MHO of course. Is Boho and Hobo the same category? LOL...

#214683 - 09/14/11 01:07 AM Re: Strange clothing... [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

Jabber, Actually, apparently boho and hobo ARE in the the same general category. I looked up "boho chic" before I used the term, to make sure I was using it right.

Here's one wiki that explained it pretty well, Look Boho Chic

And here's the one that mentioned "hobo grunge" and an term they called "bobo," which I guess is short for "bohemian and "bourgeois" as well as the term "hippie chic": Boho chic defined

Not having seen them, I don't think I would like striped leg warmers made of wool, but I do sometimes enjoy wearing jersey tops and boiled wool jackets. And "that look" is part of what this article calls "retro hippie shabby chic." I dunno. I don't feel the old "hippie vibe" in those clothes -- I feel more "Lands' End preppie." But that's my own term!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#214688 - 09/14/11 11:36 AM Re: Strange clothing... [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Anne,
I really love Lands End. Quality stuff, IMHO. I was going to come in here and delete my most recent post, thinking I may be too critical of what I viewed in that newspaper ad. Don't enjoy being negative. I'm thinking it's an era where everybody dresses down and that's cool!

#214699 - 09/15/11 12:51 PM Re: Strange clothing... [Re: jabber]
Ellemm Offline

I think one of the great things about recent years is that there is no one 'look.' We can all choose among classic, 50's retro, 60's hippie, far out, etc. Of course they're all trying to sell something that looks new, so women our age can quickly identify any of the trends as looking a bit like what we might have worn long ago.

Platform shoes? Did that in the 70's. Flared pants? Done. Mixing prints and stripes, not new. Most of this stuff is aimed at the younger crowd, of course. I wear a lot of Lands End and some Chico's and Talbots as well. I have had fun buying a few tanks with ruffles and pleats to update my look with the long cotton cardigans I like. Amazingly, one nice melony colored tank I just got exactly matches a Lands End cardigan I already have. I'd like to say I'm clever, but the truth is that it was just dumb luck.

I just hope they don't try to bring back shoulder pads and those awful frizzy perms!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved