The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 116 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#80998 - 03/16/06 08:26 AM Prescriptives
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have oily skin (yuk!) and have recently switched from using Lancome Macqui Control (which is now discontinued and heavy coverage) to Prescriptives Virtual Skin. However, I've always used Clinique powder, yet the Prescriptives rep said I need to use their product, but it cost 2X as much. Have any of you gals used these products (powder) and noticed a difference or non at all?

Thx gals!

#80999 - 03/15/06 10:57 PM Re: Prescriptives
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Mustang, I don't know anything about Prescriptives, but you are lucky to have oily skin. If you do, don't you have fewer wrinkles?

Daisygirl

#81000 - 03/15/06 10:59 PM Re: Prescriptives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh dear, I still have wrinkles, but I imagine the shine helps hide them!

#81001 - 03/17/06 01:55 AM Re: Prescriptives
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I use all Arbonne products, thanks to our Danita. Sorry, but I'm no help here. Twice as much? That's a big jump. [Eek!]

#81002 - 03/17/06 02:39 AM Re: Prescriptives
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Hello MustangGal...How do you like your present moisturizer? Is it absorbed by your skin, or does it seem to sit on the surface? Five minutes after you apply it, if you run a finger along your cheek, can you feel the moisturizer?

I ask because many mature women who believe they have oily skin, in fact need a change of moisturizer.

On the product rep. stating you just must use their particular line, in order that your makeup does all it can, for you, I beg to differ. Take it from a gal who makes use of a number of different products, made by different manufacturers, all at the same time, that's phooey!

As for face powder, I haven't used that in over twenty years. I stopped as soon as better liquid and creme foundations became available. I've perused the powder offerings out there, and there isn't one fine-textured enough that it doesn't drab a mature woman's look. I know, I know, it's recommended especially if a woman has an oily complexion, but, no matter the manufacturers hype, we powder, and we matte and false-face our look.

http://www.intouchwithjeannine.com

#81003 - 03/17/06 04:56 PM Re: Prescriptives
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Mustang,

Part of the problem with pressed powder is that most are pressed with MINERAL OIL! Who wants to add MORE oil to their skin.

Loose powder is usually a better choice.

Using the right products for your skin-type should make the need for powder less.

You should use the combination of products that work for YOU and YOUR skin.

My two cents,

Danita

#81004 - 03/18/06 01:18 AM Re: Prescriptives
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Mustang,
I have a friend who use to work "in those circles" selling and also as a rep for different lines of makeup, powders, moisturizers, etc.. and you wouldn't believe the stories she told. Rep's like the one who said you HAD to use her powder is working on commission, and trust me when I say she wasn't going to recommend anybody else. According to my friend, the dept'mt store reps and makeup artist (use term loosely) are the worst and would do things like change each other's time cards, tell a customer that a rep had quit (when she hadn't) and so on and so forth. Said it was a cut throat biz. My friend went on to school and finished and became a makeup artist (for real) and does makeup for people like Elton John, Miss Alabama, Venessa Williams, and more. She told me to use whatever worked for me. She uses plain old Cover Girl sometimes for different people, and MAC (REALLY EXPENSIVE) makeup for others. Then she has different lines of stuff I've never heard of before.

She says find somebody that you trust. Not these counter girls who have been been to school for six weeks and profess to know all about makeup.

To me that's great advice IF you can find somebody like that AND you can afford to ask their advice. I can't. Also, I DID find somebody like that once, and pretty soon she was gone.

She used loose powder on me and said she wouldn't use anything else. Also, she used sponges to put my makeup on for the photo shoot she gave me for the jacket of my book.

Anyway, I agree with the girls, use what works for you.

JJ

#81005 - 03/18/06 10:57 AM Re: Prescriptives
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
What? Are we tenured ladies supposed to use loose powder or not? Mustang, I would have used Perscriptives a long time ago, but it is too expensive. I've been using Clinique since it first arrived on the scene. I use a foundation and wouldn't live without it. Then I use a loose powder. I don't use blush anymore. I use a lip color that is close to my natural lip shade. But how do we know what "works" for us if the counter make-up sales people are not the experts I thought they were? I'm confused. The Today Show puts Bobby Brown on 4 times a year for seasonal looks and I get too confused to care. Help! JJ, are you saying your MUA used sponges to apply the loose powder? Help Help!

[ March 18, 2006, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: Lynnie ]

#81006 - 03/18/06 07:02 PM Re: Prescriptives
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Sorry bout that dearie....she uses brushes for powder and blushes. The only thing she uses sponges for was to put on foundation. For the pictures, however, she combined different kinds of foundations but the funny thing was, when she finished, I couldn't tell I had on multiple foundations at all! It wasn't heavy feeling. It was wonderful.

She was telling me that there are women who work at these counters in SOME places who are very knowledgeable in makeup and have made a career out of it. These women actually have degrees in cosmetology and their licenses are displayed.

The women at the MAC counters, for instance, attend a 3 week class and they tell you they know what they are doing because they have been to school for MAC. Big difference.

To give you an example, I was buying some MAC makeup after I had the wonderful photo shoot and the girl at the counter was trying to sell me things I didn't want or need. When I told her that I only wanted "such and such" she told me very loudly "Look, I've been to school for this and I know what I'm talking about here. What you are getting is not enough for you. You need this and this and this." I was dumbfounded that she would come on so strongly. I asked her "what school?" She said the MAC school. I said how long was your training, and can I see your degree? I figured if she was going to get huffy with me, I'd return the favor. She stomped off and handed my purchase to another saleswoman and said, "take care of her, she doesn't know what she needs anyway." CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? I declined the purchase, talked to the Manager, and I will NEVER buy another piece of MAC makeup as long as I live....and even longer.

I take makeup and stuff like that seriously because it cost a lot, and I want to maximize whatever I can with my facial features. I do a lot of speaking in public and I don't want people to point and cry...you know?

Are you more confused? Did this help any? I'll be glad to ask my friend if she would answer some things for us if you think you might be interested???? She lives in Atlanta, GA. and is on the move a lot with photo shoots, but maybe we could composed some quetions and she would answer them for us in an interview I could do????

JJ

#81007 - 03/22/06 12:14 AM Re: Prescriptives
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Your MAC story makes me laugh. Sorry, don't want to sound mean, but those gals that work there. WOW!

I've never bought a dang thing there for me. Way too much money. But of course I buy my daughter presents there because she loves that store. She buys all this makeup and never wears it. Whatever...

Why is it I'll spend that kind of money on the kids, but not myself? Anyone else do that?

I stand in that store and say, "honey, I can get this same ting at CVS for a dollar."

She hates that.

But every now and then she buys the cheap stuff and I say, "chalk one up for the cheap mother."

Maybe I'm rubbing off...

[ March 21, 2006, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved