The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#191670 - 10/13/09 05:56 PM October is "Domestic Violence Awareness" Month
Alice Offline

Loc: Michigan
I've written a paper: Society's Hidden Epidemic: Verbal Abuse: Precursor to Physical Violence and a Form of Biochemical Assault....it is 22 pages!

I am honored that a Dr. Martin Teicher (McLean University;/Harvard School of Medicine) sent me brain images of VERBAL abuse victims; in that the brain physically changes. I had the slides years ago, but lost them.

The end of my paper said....October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month"----sadly, for abused women (1 in 3!), they are aware every day of the year. Every 9 seconds a woman is assaulted. This is a human rights violation(s)....I will never be quiet until I can get on National TV to speak of this evil that pervades the world. I still dislike that word, "domestic".....it should just be plain....violence.

Love to all, Alice

#191674 - 10/13/09 08:34 PM Re: October is "Domestic Violence Awareness" Month [Re: Alice]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Alice, congratulations! Thank you for speaking up for abused women. Given the chance, I'd like to read your paper and would consider it an honor (considering I'm one of the statistics).

Edited by MustangGal (10/13/09 08:34 PM)

#191743 - 10/15/09 12:22 AM Re: October is "Domestic Violence Awareness" Month [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
It's a shame and a blessing they have decided to call October, Domestic Violence Awareness Month...Every month needs to be DV awareness month since this disease still runs rampant among our communities.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#192074 - 10/19/09 05:55 PM Re: October is "Domestic Violence Awareness" Month [Re: chatty lady]
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Alice and I have talked by phone and I must say she is so knowledgeable and passionate about the subject of domestic violence. The more voices, the better the awareness.
I remember the first time I learned that a month was dedicated to domestic violence. Well, the first time(s) I dismissed it, and said it could not be me or anyone I knew. I was in my twenties on a hot autumn night in Arizona. A few neighbors and I were outside. We could hear yelling from the inside of another neighbor's trailer. I kept saying we should do something. My "friends" kept saying it was "best not to get involved." I got bruises of my own that night. It was 35 years ago, but the sounds from next door still haunt me. Did we have domestic violence awareness month in the 1970s? I started a series of articles on DV for NABBW. Don't know why I did not think of this before. I thank Dotsie for the space and platform. We need the words to be heard. Someone suffering in silence may consider that "domestic violence" does pertain to her, and it is not her fault.

Edited by Princess Lenora (10/19/09 07:04 PM)
Edit Reason: omit stupid comment

#192139 - 10/20/09 03:34 PM Re: October is "Domestic Violence Awareness" Month [Re: Princess Lenora]

I have been thinking about how Alice says that we should eliminate the word "domestic" and go with "violence." I did not know until I was in my forties that there was such a thing as "religious" abuse, and until Alice and her site and her poetry, I did not know about "church" abuse. Yes, I knew about cults and horrible abusive behavior but I had never put the two words together "church abuse." Until Alice, and I'm in my fifties. So that's why I think it is ok to put "domestic" in front of "violence" because we are distinguishing home violence from say "gang violence" or "street violence" or "dating violence" or "pet abuse" or "child abuse." It's like I never knew all my home-making skills, which are plentiful, could coin the phrase "domestic goddess" I don't know how I would have been educated had I not learned the entire phrase "domestic violence" indicating violence in the home. Is this a matter of semantics, or something we really need to address in terminology to make a difference in our society? Alice, are you here? I'd love to read your article, too.

#192190 - 10/21/09 01:32 PM Re: October is "Domestic Violence Awareness" Month [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynn, I agree, but how sad that we have to distinguish between all the types of abuse.

#192384 - 10/23/09 06:32 PM Re: October is "Domestic Violence Awareness" Month [Re: Dotsie]

I was thinking about the neuron pathways today, not that I know much. It's kind of like train tracks, once they are down, they take a permanent route. So if you are a kid and you are witnessing abuse, your brain gets "trained" to that route? Wouldn't it be difficult to dig up those tracks and re-route the tracks to a different destination?

#192423 - 10/24/09 01:41 AM Re: October is "Domestic Violence Awareness" Month [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Makes sense to me.

#192681 - 10/27/09 01:50 PM Re: October is "Domestic Violence Awareness" Month [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
There's too much abuse; abuse of all kinds. Prayer warriors
let's keep stormin' heaven to put a stop to this stuff. It is
ruining lives. And it's so heartbreaking! It seems like to me,
God must never stop weaping????

#192710 - 10/27/09 09:14 PM Re: October is "Domestic Violence Awareness" Month [Re: jabber]

Hi. Over at NABBW, there are 3 articles written by PL for Domestic Violence Awareness Month. But I'm not going to stop there. The 3 articles thus far have been about invisible forms of domestic abuse. The last article included a super purple awareness ribbon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved