The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#174589 - 02/14/09 03:29 AM Does anyone else work with their spouse?
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Thought I'd start a thread/discussion if anyone else works (is self-employed, specifically) with their spouse.

Edited by Di (02/14/09 03:29 AM)

#174590 - 02/14/09 04:10 AM Re: Does anyone else work with their spouse? [Re: Di]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
That's a useful question, Di. My partner has half-jokingly said that if his company gets big enough, maybe they might need someone with my skill set.

I can't count him entirely on hiring me, since his biz is modest.

Do you have a different style than your hubby?

Perhaps a broader question that more women can respond here is what do you share with your spouse about work, other than just venting? laugh

#174688 - 02/15/09 10:09 AM Re: Does anyone else work with their spouse? [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Yes, Di,...I work with my husband. Actually he's retired, but he helps me out in the real-estate business. We work very well together. I'm responsible for aquisitions, exposes, web site...actually everything, including book keeping. My husband helps with the house showings. He does that very well because he can give buyers proffesional advice as to what home improvements are possible and their costs.
It's good to work with a spouse. It gives us alot of topics to discuss, other than about children and grandchildren.

#174753 - 02/15/09 09:24 PM Re: Does anyone else work with their spouse? [Re: Edelweiss3]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am single now but when married for fourteen years, my husband and I owned and operated a Cocktail Lounge, in northern Illinois on the Chain of Lakes. I loved working side by side with him and know he felt the same way. We were together sometimes 24/7...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#174761 - 02/15/09 10:55 PM Re: Does anyone else work with their spouse? [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Methinks it's a wonderful partnership, when couples can figure out their complementary good skills to run a business and provide support.

#174768 - 02/15/09 11:23 PM Re: Does anyone else work with their spouse? [Re: orchid]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
DH always wanted to have a little business for us.

I'd already been dabbling in soap before DH retired. After he did, he was involved in other things. Then, as he watched me struggle with a "card table" look at the market, he "warned" me..."if you want me to really be involved, watch out"! He was right! He's brought this business to a great level now. Years ago, as a beekeeper, he "grew" his business all on his own while he attended college. Then, once he graduated, he said "so-long" to the market (same one we are at now), never, ever imagining he'd be back nearly 25 years later!

He has HIS natural way of marketing. I, on the other hand, had many, many years of Tupperware and Avon success but with no idea of the market that they'd done FOR me. Building your own business from the ground up, literally, is WAY more different than I'd ever expected.

We both have very creative minds and often enjoy "business meetings" during breakfast. We have to stay busy. Our blend of skills has brought so much trust from fellow vendors, wholesale accounts, retail customer (ie: website) and it continues today.

Having our own individual shop on our property helps, too. Mine is production/shipping/packaging. His is everything else. Storage, woodworking, welding etc.

I've enjoy this immensely and, as I'd said in another post, stress is kept at a minimum.

If anyone has not read our blog, please check it out. The latest entry is one of which we are very proud. My DH is simply amazing at this! He is currently finding himself advising others who come to him with dreams of growing their own business as we have.

Edited by Di (02/15/09 11:24 PM)

#181373 - 05/04/09 12:11 AM Re: Does anyone else work with their spouse? [Re: Di]
homebusiness Offline

Loc: NY, USA
I don't work with my husband, but would love to. He still works full-time outside the home. I work a home based business. He thinks about starting up a business, so even if we could just both work from home, it would be great:-)
http://www.christianhomebusinessconnection.com

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved