The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#110839 - 03/10/07 11:04 PM Internat'l recruitment-marital status questions,xx
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
It continues to floor me that modern societies/countries outside of North America, still mindlessly ask info. about a person's marital status, number of children and even a photo..for job applications/resumes.

I found out the German company I work for here in Canda , head office in Germany asks via their internet site, for such info. I am unimpressed.

Thank goodness for legislation in Canada (and probably U.S.) that makes it illegal to ask for this preliminary info. on job application forms/ in resumes.

#110840 - 03/11/07 04:22 PM Re: Internat'l recruitment-marital status questions,xx [Re: orchid]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
orchid, they say you should answer, "That is personal info, etc." but I can see that answer turning off the interviewer to even considering anyone for the position. What about asking a persons age? Does that fall under the same category?

chick

#110841 - 03/11/07 05:24 PM Re: Internat'l recruitment-marital status questions,xx [Re: chickadee]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Actually, D has gone on a few interviews where they won't hire him until they have met the little wife. So it is not quite as great as we sometimes assume.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#110842 - 03/13/07 05:09 AM Re: Internat'l recruitment-marital status questions,xx [Re: Anno]
orchid Offline

Quote:

Actually, D has gone on a few interviews where they won't hire him until they have met the little wife. So it is not quite as great as we sometimes assume.

Until they meet his wife to make a no hire/hire decision??? No offense to you, but that is truly prehistoric thinking. Does your hubby's work capabilities/skills in the workplace rest on you? Of course not. He could be fantastic at work, but be a crappy hubby or the reverse.

I can't imagine the surprise if they met my partner to make a hiring decision...about me. I would be beyond the pale for some folks and fail in terms of their definitions of predictability/stability. Just him being 16 yrs. older than I, already would throw some folks in a loop.

I do employee group training once a month. part of it is on how we collection documents from within our organization. I explain to our ex-patriate staff direct from U.K., germany, Philippines, etc. that my dept. cannot collect documents with personal info. nor any resumes which might offer marital status info., since alot of our ex-patriate staff unwittingly offer this info. when they don't even realize it's illegal for a Canadian employer to obtain your age, marital status, number of children, ethnicity, etc. prior to hiring you. They can ask about marital status and birth date,...after you have accepted the job offer....because employer needs it for benefits eligibility, etc.

And truly amazing, the reaction that I get from ex-pat. staff: "What, isn't that part of knowing you?" Yea, sure.

I had to explain to database reprogrammer, no let's choose Ms. for addressing a woman in a letter, cause we don't know if she's married, single or cohabiting. And who gives a poop --- for a business letter.

I was stunned to learn in the U.K., maybe an old company that for professional woman, they might be still addressed as Mr. in a letter. Jeez.... old, old thinking and practices.

#110843 - 03/13/07 08:14 PM Re: Internat'l recruitment-marital status question [Re: orchid]
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
Ah lady, you have no idea how bad it can really get.

Here in Moscow employers who are recruiting always specify that the candidate be in a certain age range (ALWAYS under 30) and to send a portfolio of photos with the resume. Women over 35 are nearly unemployable no matter how experienced or qualified. I've heard stories till my ears could fall off about women who get booted from their jobs because they're too old, get application letters of rejection because they're too old (and too fat!), get propositioned in their jobs. This is a culture of put out or get out--no matter what *the law* says.

I know women right this moment with advanced degrees in mathematics and the sciences who are pushing a mop for a living because they are not young and cute. Russian women over 40 cannot get a job that pays a living. Period.

And wait, it gets even worse. My friend told me about her husband's New Year's party in the corporate office. The company had a director's office decked with a bed and other accouterments....and a hooker was hire for the occasion. All of the male employees were expected to partake in the festivities.

I personally know firsthand of several young Russian women who lost their jobs because they refused the sexual advances of bosses and clients. Fired, out the door, goodbye. It is expected that these services will be provided and girls who don't go along have a very bumpy and unsuccessful career.

I have a great deal of trouble actually being served here, anywhere. I sometimes cannot get into restaurants, I've been refused entry into nightclub and dance club places. I've given up on going out to a lot of places because I know they're not going to let me in. My husband--yes. Me--no. It's young and cute or your fanny is out at the bus stop.

It's a beating. You all don't know how good you've got it. And it's going on all over the world.

#110844 - 03/14/07 12:57 AM Re: Internat'l recruitment-marital status question [Re: mrs_madness]
SharonE Offline

Loc: Australia/ U.S. websites
I'm shocked . What can we do for our sisters in Russia?
For U.S. Baby Boomers: www.babyboomerexpress.com

#110845 - 03/14/07 04:20 AM Re: Internat'l recruitment-marital status question [Re: SharonE]
orchid Offline

Wow, pretty shocking about Russia. Wonder when real change will occur. What will it take..to make permanent change.

#110846 - 03/14/07 04:42 AM Re: Internat'l recruitment-marital status question [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
You should read the newspaper adds in Germany...same thing...they state whether they want a male, female or both...the put in the age range and sometimes if the person should be married or single. The women here totally accept that …. Strange.

Thank God it's not as bad in Germany as in Russia.
Russians living in Germany do not have a good reputation, although they are a diligent and clean people. The growing Russian Mafia (drug rings) is supposed to be more brutal than the Sicilian Mafia ever was. The Russians tend to clan. They have overtaken entire neighbourhoods and shun any non-Russian person there…so that over the years the Germans and other nationalities have moved from those neighbourhoods.

It seems to me Russia is going crazy with its newfound freedom and wealth and is sowing its oats by going through a decadence period. Would you agree Mrs. Madness?

#110847 - 03/14/07 05:40 AM Re: Internat'l recruitment-marital status question [Re: Edelweiss]
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
Russians everywhere do not have a good reputation. Russians need visas to travel to almost any country and single Russian women simply cannot get visas, they have such a *reputation*.

I have heard that a lot of the prostitutes in Amsterdam where prostitution is legal, are Russians. Someone recently told me that a lot of the 'showgirls' in Vegas are Russians. The EU actually formally complained to the Russian government about a few years ago about the flood of Russian women in the sex industry in western Europe, and I believe that it was in 2004 or 2005 that Russia finally passed its' FIRST human trafficking legislation. Fat lot of good it did anyway. The law is meaningless here.

Here's a really good one: About 2 summers ago the entire Russian diplomatic team was deported from Helsinki Finland for running a prostitution ring of Russian women out of their diplomatic housing!

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.....

#110848 - 03/14/07 06:01 AM Re: Internat'l recruitment-marital status question [Re: mrs_madness]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
The prostitution rings in Germany are pretty much Russian run...and the Polish ladies are right up there too.

Got to admit though, the Russian women are stunningly beautiful. Just look at the tennis players. Too bad so many have to resort to "that" profession.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved