Several years ago, I clipped this essay from a magazine. I keep it with my Christmas card stuff, so it is something I re-read every year. Thought I'd post it for everyone to enjoy.

Every year at about this time, the world lights a candle to Peace.

It is a universal gesture, immune to politics. It pays tribute to no narrow philosophy, materialistic or messianic.

The candle when lit by men of good will serves the good that is in us all; it cauterizes all that in us is evil.

To every force arrayed in anger against an opposing force in the world, the candles message is simple:

"The sum of the good you share in your hearts is far greater than those evils that seek to divide you."

The candle, when ignited, does not detonate. It illuminates. It doesn't challenge the heavens in a thundering roar. It makes its plea in a steady flame, reflected in the eye of a wondering child, or the squint of an elder who has seen it all.

The candle graces the menorah as it fits the tree. It is at home in all the windows of the world. Its reassurance cannot be measured.

For, the good news is that Peace is not to be found in the frantic mathematics of the megaton.

It reposes, calmly, in the Magic of the Candle.

Light a candle to Peace this season.

Printed by Land'sEnd Direct Merchants
Dodgeville, WI