The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#141380 - 02/08/08 01:30 AM Valentine Suggestions
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I need my boomer ladies' help. For those of you married or dating or who have a SO, what are you doing for them for Valentine's? I am sort of stuck about what to do for Larry...Most guys could care less but I was wondering what you ladies are doing, if anything, to make your sweetheart's heart smile.

#141381 - 02/08/08 04:33 AM Re: Valentine Suggestions [Re: Dee]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
We used to do a lot more, but it's gotten to the point that we don't make as big a deal out of it anymore. We go out to dinner a lot anyway and I hate going out on V-Day because it is so crowded and you end up waiting. I just got roses for our anniversary in January, we just got past Christmas and Dick's birthday is next month. I never thought I'd see the day I would say I just don't know what to get, or worse, I don't know what I want. We usually go up north for our anniversary in January, but we are going this weekend instead. We are sort of celebrating our anniversary and Christmas. For Christmas, we bought each other weekend getaways. He picked a winter one and I picked a summer one. It worked out great since we would have been spending the money on something neither of us needs just for the sake of buying something. So this weekend we are going for the first half of the Christmas gift and will celebrate our anniversary and roll V-day in as well.

A couple years ago, I took him to the Kennebunkport Inn, in Maine for a Valentine weekend special they had. It was really nice. Usually, we go out to dinner. We'll buy nice cards and probably have a nice dinner at home. At work, they sell roses, balloons, and carnations all day to raise money for the residents activities. We buy each other the carnations and they get delivered to the person. I usually buy one for my daughter and she gets me one. I buy Dick a rose and/or a cute balloon.

#141382 - 02/08/08 04:35 AM Re: Valentine Suggestions [Re: Louisa]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I divorced mine. It made him smile....made me happy, too.

whattttt?

#141383 - 02/08/08 04:42 AM Re: Valentine Suggestions [Re: Louisa]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Dee have a hunt...
Have him create his list of clues - you know: clue #1 - look in the medicine cabinet and locate string; clue#2 - follow string to end to find clue #3, and so on ... if you can sneak his clues it would be fantastic, because you could play off of them and have yours end in the same spot that his does, where he'd find you hiding bare behind a big posterboard heart (and nothing else) if he follows your clues correctly.

#141384 - 02/08/08 06:05 AM Re: Valentine Suggestions [Re: gims]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Valentine's is a very modest thing for us...just small sweets for each other at home and a card.

Methinks I got my birthday card and Valentine's card early...on my birthday...which the "card" was actually a heart-shaped cookie with raspberry jelly in the middle.

We go out every Friday night to have a cheap supper either in a restaurant or during cycling seasons, he cycles with me homeward and we stop by a park along the way for a small bite...so we do this anytime of the year.

Right now, to me, Valentine's actually doesn't feel so festive...compared to Chinese New Year's, which this year is falling this week and onward. So my brain is abit muddled..and I just finished celebrating my birthday recently. Then we had his brother visiting from Arizona for a few days. This weekend I have a friend from Toronto..

So am celebrating alot these past few weeks...

Lots of celebration, love and friendship, four-fold. It's not the dull Jan.-Feb. blues for us.

#141385 - 02/08/08 10:59 AM Re: Valentine Suggestions [Re: orchid]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
We're tapped out, too.....Christmas and then granddaughter Rachel and myself with birthdays a day apart. In fact, we're taking her to "Disney On Ice Princess" tomorrow as a (late) birthday present. So for V-Day we'll be home. We always exchange nice cards and he never fails to bring home flowers. Other than that I'll plan something nice for dinner and it will be business as usual. I also tend to make a big deal out of March 22nd every year....it's the anniversary of the night we met.

#141387 - 02/09/08 08:07 PM Re: Valentine Suggestions [Re: ]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Having worked in resurants for so many years, I refuse to go out to eat on V day. We have done the playful stuff, like gimster suggests, the small presents and cards, and flowers, too.

One of my favorite valentines was cooking in the nude. I came home from work with flowers for Dennis and then we fooled around for a bit and then, just wrapped aprons around each of us and we cooked a meal together while enjoying a nice bottle of wine.

This year it's small presents and a card. Then I will make one of his favorite dinners and call it a night. After all, I have to return to work with hundreds of kids coming off a sugar high. Must get my sleep.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#141389 - 02/09/08 10:00 PM Re: Valentine Suggestions [Re: ]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I can't even imagine my hubby and me doing that, anno, but I bet it was fun, fun, fun.

#141390 - 02/10/08 12:26 AM Re: Valentine Suggestions [Re: gims]
Dee Offline

Ann...it's okay if you're frustrated...we've all been there. I hope he comes through for you.

Anno...talk about romantic...now that's precious. I bet your husband can't wait for Valentines' day to roll around.

Gimster...why not just try cooking in the nude with your apron and see how he reacts...I'm betting he'll help you stir the pot.

#141391 - 02/10/08 04:45 PM Re: Valentine Suggestions [Re: Dee]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Yes, I adore him and he adores me, Anne. And believe me, I wouldn't do it again. It was fun, those early years, but now I would just get the giggles and run for a warm robe!

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved