The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 192 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#220859 - 05/20/15 01:19 PM Birds 'n windowpanes...
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Any of you know a good way to keep birds from banging their beaks on the outside of our living room bay window??? We've tried putting up flag markers, strings, etc. Nothing deters them. mad

#220860 - 05/20/15 07:07 PM Re: Birds 'n windowpanes... [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi know what you mean, Jabber. We've had this happen as well. Not every year, but many years. Always the same window - and always robins (at least for us).

I did some research on it a few years ago when it first happened, and I seem to recall that this is a territorial issue. I believe the reigning theory is that the bird sees his reflection in the glass, and thinks it is a rival bird in his domain. So he flies at it to send it away.

I'll do some checking to refresh my memory, but I seem to recall that the only thing that helps is if you can somehow stop that window from reflecting. Possibly temporarily hang a curtain there, or something.

Meanwhile, anyone else have experiences or solutions to share?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220867 - 05/21/15 06:21 PM Re: Birds 'n windowpanes... [Re: Anne Holmes]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Here's an article about birds flying into windows which might offer you some additional help, Jabber.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220869 - 05/24/15 10:13 PM Re: Birds 'n windowpanes... [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
The window with the issue is in the front of the house, facing the road. We have curtain panels which close entirely across the bay. But they aren't stopping a wacky female Cardinal from banging her bill against the panes. The curtains were closed this morning and she's still hitting glass. I read the above article. They say let the window stay dirty and it won't reflect as much. Well she doesn't stop banging it long enough for us to clean it. And that's annoying. I love clean windows. We've lived here 34 years and this the first time I remember this sort of thing being an issue.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved